DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Finally saw The Harder They Come on TCM. Boy does every single musical docu-pic owe a debt to this one (though the tropes might've been in place before then, I dunno). It's self-conscious without being meta and wise beyond its years about how Jamaica is and would end up; the eventuality of Christopher "Dudus" Coke is buried in its plot. It feels too much like a film to not be a film but too much like a documentary to not be one either. You don't get too many films like that. 

Or, you could just watch it for the music alone. Still well worth it. 

• Like 1

Saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood today. Enjoyed the movie, it was very good. I was also disappointed. There's simply too much of a focus on the reporter character and not enough on Rogers. There are loooong stretches with no Mr. Rogers at all and that's a shame. Still, very good movie. 

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Finally saw The Harder They Come on TCM. Boy does every single musical docu-pic owe a debt to this one (though the tropes might've been in place before then, I dunno). It's self-conscious without being meta and wise beyond its years about how Jamaica is and would end up; the eventuality of Christopher "Dudus" Coke is buried in its plot. It feels too much like a film to not be a film but too much like a documentary to not be one either. You don't get too many films like that. 

Or, you could just watch it for the music alone. Still well worth it. 

It's long past time someone make a film about the Shower Posse. I know HBO as of 2014 or 2015ish had the rights for a mini series adaptation of A Brief History of Seven Killings, which has a fictionalized version of them. We need to see one of those two.

But yeah, The Harder They Come is pretty damn good.

• Like 2

The only other Jamaican crime film I've seen (I think) is Shottas which certainly has its stripes but is still basically a cheap exploitation movie. Given its history you'd think you'd have more, but no. 

EDIT: The country's history. Yet in the face of such poverty I should eat my words

Edited by Curt McGirt

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The only other Jamaican crime film I've seen (I think) is Shottas which certainly has its stripes but is still basically a cheap exploitation movie. Given its history you'd think you'd have more, but no. 

EDIT: The country's history. Yet in the face of such poverty I should eat my words

Apparently, there is one that came out recently (Yardie directed by of all people...Idris Elba in his directorial debut) but I haven't seen it yet. Got some mixed reviews and the trailer really didn't grab me when I saw it.

To me, Shottas is basically a glued together urban B movie from the late 90s you rent at Blockbuster with a really good soundtrack. As much shit Hype Williams got for directing Belly (which also had the late Louie Rankin) like a music video, that at least had the amazing cinematography and a couple really decent scenes. I can get into that at least.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Would you count The Mighty Quinn? It was filmed in Jamaica but I dont remember if it was set there or on a fictional Caribbean island. 

Ahhh...back when Denzel use to do accents and was really great at it. But no, I don't think I would count The Mighty Quinn in that even if it was set in Jamaica. That was just a crime film set in the Caribbean. I'm more talking about the period in Jamaica during the Prime Minister tenures of both Michael Manley and Edward Seaga and what resulted from it. Think Godfather 2 and Scarface and how they portrayed Cuba under Batista and Miami after the Mariel boatlift and less The Perez Family with Marisa Tomei, Anjelica Huston, Chazz Palminteri and Alfred Molina.

• Like 1

Saw Richard Jewell on Sunday. It's outstanding. Everyone in the movie is great and they do a tremendous job of showing the effect everything has on Jewell. They also don't shy away from showing that he was flawed and not very bright. The FBI obviously comes out looking terrible but, well, they deserve it here. The ignored basic facts and leaked info to the press. 

It really is a shame that, even though he was definitively cleared, he still had people thinking he got away with something. Guy was a freaking hero and got railroaded. 

Highly recommended. 

Haven't seen Richard Jewell yet, but Paul Walter Hauser is from my hometown. I never met him myself, but am 1 degree of separation from him and knew of him and his comedy work several years ago. It's just kind of neat to see him breaking through at the national/worldwide level. His interview on the WTF podcast was really good. Seems like he's got a great head on his shoulders. Between him and Alicia Taylor on NXT, pretty neat to see Saginaw making a mark on the entertainment industry lately.

• Like 2

Marriage Story is really good. Some aspects were not quite as fleshed out as they should have been but the writing was fantastic otherwise and the acting was amazing.  Adam Driver and Dern are receiving all the praise and it's well deserved,  especially Driver who was incredible here..but not enough love for Scar Jo!  Amazing performance from her. There's one scene in which they are both really going for it later on in the film but early on there's a 5-6 minute scene that's I believe one shot and Scar Jo fucking destroys it. I think people forget how good she can be and they really tried to make her look like an everyday person I guess but that didn't work for what they were going for,  she looked even better than she usually does,  stop it. 

At my three area cinemas of misfit films, we are showing the new Star Wars movie. We're also getting the new … Steven Seagal film ...'

Seagal and DMX, together again.

Plus these two artistic endeavors ...

THE GREAT WAR -- Historical inaccuracies abound in this "Saving Private Ryan meets 1917 meets The Asylum" film.

MOB TOWN -- There's only one man capable of bringing down an organized crime ring, and that man is ….. David Arquette?!?!?

On the Brightside, we're getting screenings of "The Irishman" here. 

Speaking of The Irishman, is there any way I can just On Demand the fucking thing from Dish? Or is it out on DVD/BluRay yet? I haven't been to the video store in awhile, nor been by a Redbox.

Arquette looks just about like the other guy who took down a mob town 

sylvester-stallone-cop-land-1997-movie-p

At least neither of them are as swollen as Seagal

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why did Richard Gere's career fall off?   He's a very good actor, charismatic and I would say objectively handsome, right.  I feel he should have been bigger. 

He's a victim of the underground gerbil lobby.  Don't cross gerbils.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why did Richard Gere's career fall off?   He's a very good actor, charismatic and I would say objectively handsome, right.  I feel he should have been bigger. 

I don't feel like he had a disappointing career at all. There were some choices that probably looked good on paper but didn't exactly pan out, like The Cotton Club and the re-make of Breathless though neither is a bad movie. He still had good films throughout his prime years like Internal Affairs, First Knight and obviously a major hit with Pretty Woman.  But he was never a Great Actor and some of his charisma was negative. Even if he wasn't cranking out blockbusters, there are still a lot of hits in his filmography.  

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He's only done independent film since 2008. He believes due to his activism on behalf of Tibet, that he's essentially been exiled.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Apparently Indiewire did since they asked him about his take on the superhero movie kerfuffle. Seriously, is there anything more precious than comic book movie fans?