DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Speaking of Die Hard, a work colleague at work shocked me this week saying she's seen Die Hard 2 (1990) and Live Free or Die Hard (2007) but never Die Hard (1988) and Die Hard With a Vengeance (1995). I urged her to remedy that ASAP.

1. Die Hard

2. Die Hard With a Vengeance

3. Live Free or Die Hard

4. Die Hard 2.

Die Hard's the best of them, the greatest action movie ever made and Die Hard With a Vengeance is the only worthwhile sequel.

Netflix has a pretty fun documentary up about Die Hard on their Movies That Made Us series.

Oh, and there's a Die Hard Blu Ray special edition where the cover looks like a Christmas sweater. I think it's only $6 so that's an easy purchase for me since it's only $2 more than renting it off of Google Play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Speaking of Die Hard, a work colleague at work shocked me this week saying she's seen Die Hard 2 (1990) and Live Free or Die Hard (2007) but never Die Hard (1988) and Die Hard With a Vengeance (1995). I urged her to remedy that ASAP.

1. Die Hard

3. Live Free or Die Hard

4. Die Hard 2.

Die Hard's the best of them, the greatest action movie ever made and Die Hard With a Vengeance is the only worthwhile sequel.

Man, 4 and 5 weren't even really Die Hard movies.  Just action movies with the McClane's in them.  And I only put 3 above 2 because Irons decided to chew every fucking piece of scenery in 3 like Rickman did in 1 rather than play it straight like Sadler and Amos did.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Netflix has a pretty fun documentary up about Die Hard on their Movies That Made Us series.

Oh, and there's a Die Hard Blu Ray special edition where the cover looks like a Christmas sweater. I think it's only $6 so that's an easy purchase for me since it's only $2 more than renting it off of Google Play.

Thanks for the heads up!  Ordered that and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles so I don't have to spend $4 renting it next Thanksgiving like I did this year.

• Like 1

Sam Jackson is awesome in With a Vengeance.  I love that shit so much and the New York City backdrop.  

I don't count the last two,  they never happened...  

1. Die Hard 

3. Die Hard 2

If you want to count The Last Boy Scout as part of the series you could do that too.  An amazing movie. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

One detail I'm surprised they left out was they also considered Paul Newman for McClane. I like Paul Newman, but come on.

There were a couple things they left out that were in other documentaries, but that's fine. Paul Newman's one of my all time favorites, but man, that would not have worked.

• Like 1

The novel(Nothing Lasts Forever) Die Hard was based on was a sequel to The Detective(which was a movie starring Frank Sinatra). Sinatra declined the role, Joe Leland became John McClane and the rest is history of one sort or another.

It's almost like everyone has forgotten the first page of this topic and decided to have the conversation again...

On 12/5/2019 at 4:28 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

If you want to count The Last Boy Scout as part of the series you could do that too.  An amazing movie.

Still one of the most jaw dropping openings to a film I've ever seen

Edited by BurningBeard
  • Like 4

On 12/4/2019 at 11:28 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sam Jackson is awesome in With a Vengeance.  I love that shit so much and the New York City backdrop.  

I don't count the last two,  they never happened...  

1. Die Hard 

3. Die Hard 2

I'd like to think Joe Hollenbeck is John McLane living under an alias and working as a PI after he decided to seek anonymity after all the enemies he'd made in the Die Hard films. 

• Like 2

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)

Way too many movies are based in New York. Fucking self-involved coastal elites. But the real story probably took place there, so I'll let it slide. Still, it feels like a lot of other hip, smaller movies you've seen about writers in New York. 

I think I've only ever read half of one Tom Clancy book. Is it supposed to read like erotic fiction for people who are into military equipment? 

The crimes detailed weren't as interesting as I was hoping they'd be. But it's literary fraud, not a bank robbery. Not exactly a lot of meat on that bone. But there's a good documentary out there about wine fraud, so no excuses. Anyway, the lead performances were both good and justified the awards attention they received. The scene when McCarthy entered her apartment after her trip was really rough. The lead performances get this one a rating of

⭐⭐ out of four

Free Solo (2018)

• Interesting subject matter with an aloof, enigmatic personality at the center
  • Documentary crew interrogates the effect they may be having on the action -- with life or death consequences
  • Love interest wrestles with the high-risk activity she can't talk her man out of
  • Beautifully filmed, with some nail-biting moves from beginning to end
  • Lots of in-depth (for the casual viewer) explanations of the difficulties posed by certain parts of El Cap

All contributing to an expertly-crafted narrative. If you haven't had a chance to see this yet, it's one of the better things waiting for you on Disney+.

⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of four

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Free Solo (2018)

• Interesting subject matter with an aloof, enigmatic personality at the center
  • Documentary crew interrogates the effect they may be having on the action -- with life or death consequences
  • Love interest wrestles with the high-risk activity she can't talk her man out of
  • Beautifully filmed, with some nail-biting moves from beginning to end
  • Lots of in-depth (for the casual viewer) explanations of the difficulties posed by certain parts of El Cap

All contributing to an expertly-crafted narrative. If you haven't had a chance to see this yet, it's one of the better things waiting for you on Disney+.

⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of four

Thankfully this was put on Hulu almost right after it was released. It's so fucking crazy.

FYI, a girl recently fell trying to free solo El Cap. She got fucked up.

Her rescuer? Alex Honnold among others.

• Thanks 1

2 1/2 hrs of pure bliss and Christian Bale is so damned good. Only problem I had was them

having Leo Beebe come off as a complete jerk off. I know they did it to create "tension" but it's cheap.

But that still can't change the feeling I got from this movie.

On December 7, 2019 at 3:59 PM, J.T. said:

Knives Out is fucking awesome.  My kid and I loved it.

It is an absolute blast. I hope Rian Johnson continues to make these type of auteur flicks and I say that as someone who thought Last Jedi was just fine. I would be all in for another Benoit Blanc mystery. 

• Like 2