DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

John from Cincinnati

Does anyone else still watch Star Trek: Discovery?  Kinda wondering what other people think of it.

Finished S2 this morning, and... really disliked it.  I mildly enjoyed season one, but thought the show took a step back in the back half once they went to the mirror universe.  Put off watching S2 until last week, then marathoned it.  Got really interested in the front half with some of the character building and Anson Mount as Christopher Pike.  Then.... they hit the midway point and the show fell off a cliff for me.  As a big bad, Control was really uninteresting (and derivative).  They spent so much time building up a kinda nonsensical plot that all the character stuff they were setting up in the first half went out the window except maybe for Michael/Spock.  The finale was a decent spectacle, but it seemed to come at the expense of a logical story and I had mostly stopped caring a few eps earlier.

I still like the characters, but I feel like both s1 and s2 have been kinda disappointing and season 2 tossed aside much of what worked for me about the show (the Klingon politics, Michael's relationship with her family, Michelle Yeoh being evil, etc.).  I feel like they dumbed the show down for s2 to... fight Skynet, I guess.

Thoughts?  I'm not a Trek fan and the presumed new direction (into the future) doesn't really interest me.

3 hours ago, Whodathunkit said:

Does anyone else still watch Star Trek: Discovery?  Kinda wondering what other people think of it.

Finished S2 this morning, and... really disliked it.  I mildly enjoyed season one, but thought the show took a step back in the back half once they went to the mirror universe.  Put off watching S2 until last week, then marathoned it.  Got really interested in the front half with some of the character building and Anson Mount as Christopher Pike.  Then.... they hit the midway point and the show fell off a cliff for me.  As a big bad, Control was really uninteresting (and derivative).  They spent so much time building up a kinda nonsensical plot that all the character stuff they were setting up in the first half went out the window except maybe for Michael/Spock.  The finale was a decent spectacle, but it seemed to come at the expense of a logical story and I had mostly stopped caring a few eps earlier.

I still like the characters, but I feel like both s1 and s2 have been kinda disappointing and season 2 tossed aside much of what worked for me about the show (the Klingon politics, Michael's relationship with her family, Michelle Yeoh being evil, etc.).  I feel like they dumbed the show down for s2 to... fight Skynet, I guess.

Thoughts?  I'm not a Trek fan and the presumed new direction (into the future) doesn't really interest me.

I liked S1, especially the mirror universe stuff since it brought us evil Michelle Yeoh. I've found the focus on Michael to easily be the weakest parts of the show. Didn't hate S2, but the Skynet/Control story was definitely weak and honestly not the thing to really pull for this show. It was particularly annoying since it screwed up Section 31 which was actually not supposed to be well known about at all. The entire point of that group was that they were essentially the CIA at its arguably worse morally and not known by damn near anyone. None of the alien nations knew of them. Even within Starfleet the group's existence could not be confirmed outside of them being officially sanctioned in the early days of the organization. I was so damn disappointed they didn't explore that more, especially with Yeoh's character having a decent position within the group.

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

No interest in discovery but nervous waiting for the Picard show. 

I'm still interested in Discovery, but Picard looks better in every way. Really hoping it delivers.

Edited by Eivion

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

This might be one only for @piranesi

realized today watching 1976 TV that Baa Baa Black Sheep co-starred both Simon Oakland and Dana Eclar. That seems like matter/anti matter situation. 

Dana Elcar will always have the advantage because his career stretched through the 80s and he was in everything then and he was a soft cuddly baby man.  In fact he had the conjunction triple crown of an ampersand (Hardcastle & McCormick), and "and" (Scarecrow and Mrs. King) and a "to" (Hart to Hart). That is a rare accomplishment.

Plus he was hilarious in a Columbo with Donald Pleasance. 

Saw about 10 minutes of this gem yesterday:

The A-Team, Season 4, Ep 7, "Body Slam."

The team goes to see a wrestling win by world champion Hulk Hogan, a colleague of BA's in Vietnam, and accepts his plea to help keep open a center for street kids in Venice, CA., which the Carter crime family wants and already has the bank ready to foreclose and sell to them if the next loan payment fails.

So in A-Team canon, the Hulkster served in NAM with BA Baracus.  I'm surprised Hogan himself never got his lies mixed up and, somewhere between slamming 900 pound Andre to his early grave and playing bass for Metallica, brought up his war record.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Saw about 10 minutes of this gem yesterday:

The A-Team, Season 4, Ep 7, "Body Slam."

So in A-Team canon, the Hulkster served in NAM with BA Baracus.  I'm surprised Hogan himself never got his lies mixed up and, somewhere between slamming 900 pound Andre to his early grave and playing bass for Metallica, brought up his war record.

I don't think even Hogan is so low as to steal Valor. . . 

• Haha 3