DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

John from Cincinnati

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I thought the streaming thread was about the services themselves and shows were discussed either here or in their own threads, ala Star Wars or The Good Place.

Been waiting a while for this story to pop back. Striking a playful tone in an email to the cast and crew that's addressing sexual harassment is... definitely a bold move. 

Considering the he-said/she-said nature of many of these types of stories, the multiple references to Rashomon are too cute by a half. Write better. 

One of my biggest pet peeves!

The unreliable narrator scenario is from Akutagawa's short story, "In A Grove," not from the short story, "Rashōmon."

And yeah, I figured there was something more to Wilson's departure from The Affair.  It's sad how the pressure on premium networks to compete with each other's episodic content is creating a toxic culture for showrunners and performers, but the networks don't care because they think boobs = money but good writing also has something to do with it, I think.

Ruth seems to have landed on her feet, though.  His Dark Materials is a good show and she gets to keep her clothes on more often than not.

Edited by J.T.

I am halfway through S4 of The Expanse and it is fucking fantastic and immersive as ever.  All of these horrible things I have heard about Jeff Bezos obviously aren't true.  Amazon is a WONDERFUL company to work for, I'm sure.

Fuck you, Syfy.

The review embargo for The Witcher is still being enforced which probably means that it's horrible, but I give zero fucks.  Bring on Geralt of Rivia already and let him get to pimpin'.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am halfway through S4 of The Expanse and it is fucking fantastic and immersive as ever. 

Up to the last two episodes and I'm loving it. Should knock them out tonight.After that I may start the Witcher depending on how I feel and when I finish Expanse.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 8:56 AM, Matt D said:

I know nothing about it really but we are going to roll from Maisel to Runaways right into Witcher.

What did you think about Mrs. Maisel ? I generally loved it, but there was a LOT of episodes that were Daniel Palladino heavy. 

Anyone familiar with Gilmore Girls knows what I mean.

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

What did you think about Mrs. Maisel ? I generally loved it, but there was a LOT of episodes that were Daniel Palladino heavy. 

Anyone familiar with Gilmore Girls knows what I mean.

We enjoyed it a lot. I didn't think the Vegas stuff was quite as fun as the Catskills stuff from S2, though it was really cool to see Sterling K. Brown sing, and I thought Abe's journey weaved a little too much. Susie's arc was great. I thought Mei Lin was great. I have no idea what your reference means. 

It's maybe the best show on TV?

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

We enjoyed it a lot. I didn't think the Vegas stuff was quite as fun as the Catskills stuff from S2, though it was really cool to see Sterling K. Brown sing, and I thought Abe's journey weaved a little too much. Susie's arc was great. I thought Mei Lin was great. I have no idea what your reference means. 

It's maybe the best show on TV?

Daniel written episodes tend to be more slapstick and over the top. He was a Family Guy writer and it shows.

Finished Expanse Thursday. Pretty damn good though I was disappointed with one of the characters killed at the end. Really hoping there is another season since I can't wait to see the ramifications of the very end.

Finished the Witcher last night. Never played the games, but I was fairly entertained throughout and though it was solid-good season. 

Next up is Lost in Space S2 when it releases. It will not be anywhere near as good as the other two.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Next up is Lost in Space S2 when it releases. It will not be anywhere near as good as the other two.

I'm hoping I can get away bypassing a re-watch of Season 1. I liked it but it was in the no need to go back category. On the other hand, it has been so long I barely remember most of it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I'm hoping I can get away bypassing a re-watch of Season 1. I liked it but it was in the no need to go back category. On the other hand, it has been so long I barely remember most of it. 

This pretty much sums up how it is for me as well. Hopefully whatever last time trailer they do for Netflix shows when starting a new season will be enough.

22 hours ago, Eivion said:

Season 2 moving to color helps the wackiness quotient of the show, especially Jonathan Harris' makeup. 

Reflecting back on the decade in TV, it's a miracle that Hannibal ended up airing for three years on NBC. Hardly anyone watched it. It was dreamlike in a ways that occasionally felt like it'd make David Lynch blush. It was lush and stylish and excessive in its depictions of blood and gore. And Bryan Fuller seemingly finds it impossible to hold a job for an extended period. 

It feels nuts that this thing aired on network TV vs cable. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

General ritual when dad and I visit each other and run out of things to say is to put on old sitcoms.  We're working on Cheers S2, and tonight we got consecutive episodes with Harry Anderson, Markie Post and George Gaynes (who co-starred with Post on "Hearts Afire").  Sadly, no sign of any Police Academy or Punky Brewster alumni in the following ep.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I love James's Twitter showmanship, but those of you out there need to remember that Brad Rutter has never lost to a Jeopardy match to a human being.

If he is your longshot to win it all, you need to rethink those odds.

Edited by J.T.

When he was doing interviews during James' run last year, Ken kept contextualizing comparisons between the two by noting that it's a young person's game and that his own recall and buzzer timing may be diminished. Between him setting up some low expectations and never having been able to take Brad head-to-head, I have Ken firmly at the bottom of the pecking order. 

Watched first 3 episodes of his dark materials.

its been so long since I’ve read the books to remember the timeline, but learning Lycra’s parents already feels like it was pushed forward.

most of the vast, especially Ruth Wilson, has been really good. Clark Peters being allowed to be British is always odd.

My first-ever viewing of The Office has finished season 3.  This is the first time I have ever felt any empathy at all for Michael Scott--not so much because of Jan, who went from 'fine' to 'cartoonishly toxic' in her last 3 eps of the season, but because of the whole fucked up dynamic of the job interview and his general cluelessness.