DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

John from Cincinnati

I'm on Episode 8 of Daybreak (Netflix) and it's been a pretty fun show.  My only gripe is that is that "main" storyline(there are a few concurrent ones, but the one driving the narrative) is pretty vanilla and not very interesting.  Every other side story is MILES better

Spoiler

Josh and his infiite quest to find Sam is cliche and boring as hell.  The Crumble/Angelica story is my personal favorite with Matthew Brodericks turn as a cannibalistic Baron Triumph is awesome to see 

Edited by StuntmanCrowley

I was ready to declare Dark (Netflix) the best story to use time travel since at least Los cronocrimenes (2007) but then the season finale happened.

Spoiler

Did they really need to throw alternate realities and/or aliens into the mix? And at this point in the show, nearly everyone is time traveling which seems a bit much.

Still a quality show. Hopefully, with next season being the last, they have a satisfying wrap up that doesn't go too far out there. 

Edited by Execproducer

I loved season 2 of Dark, but alternate universe, Trunks-esque Martha saving Jonas was a little much...I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though considering this is all planned or mapped out. I just hope we don't have as long of a wait for season 3.

So Watchmen was pretty good last night.  I don't know if I needed to see a damn near 70 year old woman contemplating using a giant blue dildo or sleeping with her coworker, but that happened.  I have no idea what to think about this show from episode to episode, but I keep watching so it's at least interesting.  I just don't know if it actually has a plot.  It all feels like a bunch of stuff thrown on screen with little thread to hold it together.  Hopefully the introduction of the former Silk Spectre and the Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan reveals will start to tie things together.  

I'm not sure if anyone else is a fan, but I just learned that HBO Max will have 4 Adventure Time specials next year or next year and the year after that. I'm so fucking stoked. It's my daughter's favorite show and it's up there for me as well. We had some good bonding time watching it and discussing some of the themes in it like when she asked if what's happening to my mom/her grandma is what happened to Simon and his memory. It also did a really impressive job dealing with same sex relationships or just relationships in general.

Man I love Adventure Time. We've probably watched it three times through, which doesn't take all that long considering how short the episodes are.

Dolly Parton's Heartstrings

8 episode anthology series. Each episode will have an entirely different cast and will be based on a different Dolly song

The cast consists of 19 actors including Ginnifer Goodwin, Melissa Leo, Ray McKinnon, Jessica Collins, Camryn Manheim, Timothy Busfield, Patricia Wettig, Colin O’Donoghue, Willa Fitzgerald, David Denman, and Vanessa Rubio. Dolly will appear in each episode in an unspecified role.

• Like 3

I don't know if I'm the only one watching Mr. Inbetween or not, but this season has been great. Noting is more ominous than

Ray walking down the stairs carrying the shovel and walking into the hidden room to do what he needed to do.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 9:01 AM, RIPPA said:

Dolly Parton's Heartstrings

8 episode anthology series. Each episode will have an entirely different cast and will be based on a different Dolly song

Did some work on this show. Pretty excited.

• Like 5

On 10/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm on Episode 8 of Daybreak (Netflix) and it's been a pretty fun show.  My only gripe is that is that "main" storyline(there are a few concurrent ones, but the one driving the narrative) is pretty vanilla and not very interesting.  Every other side story is MILES better

Reveal hidden contents

Josh and his infiite quest to find Sam is cliche and boring as hell.  The Crumble/Angelica story is my personal favorite with Matthew Brodericks turn as a cannibalistic Baron Triumph is awesome to see 

I HATED Josh. Easily the worst character in the show. The guy's an idiot. I did love the episodes where they broke from his storyline and narration. I also have not been able to get Air Supply's "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All" since Gary sang it. 

Anyone been watching American Horror Story this season? I haven't watched a complete season since the third. I always start them and a few episodes in get pissed off at whatever twist they come up with and give up. This season has been a pleasant surprise. Slasher films are my favorite horror subgenre and even with the twist they haven't strayed too far from the slasher formula, to the point where they are actively talking about final girls. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 9:01 PM, supremebve said:

So Watchmen was pretty good last night.  I don't know if I needed to see a damn near 70 year old woman contemplating using a giant blue dildo or sleeping with her coworker, but that happened.  I have no idea what to think about this show from episode to episode, but I keep watching so it's at least interesting.  I just don't know if it actually has a plot.  It all feels like a bunch of stuff thrown on screen with little thread to hold it together.  Hopefully the introduction of the former Silk Spectre and the Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan reveals will start to tie things together.  

Kinda feel the same, I'm just enjoying the journey.

I about laughed my head off at the dildo reveal... especially as earlier in the episode they went full Pulp Fiction with the opening of the briefcase facing away from the camera and Silk Spectre being basked by a blue glow.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

How? And more importantly, Why? 

Yeah it makes no sense. A 10 year time jump, so it'll be 2032 (!) in the new series.

Also Jenji Kohan isn't involved, and it's set to be called Weeds 4.20 ?

Dammit Newbury...

Anyway. So Emmy Rossum is gone from Shameless and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Having the bitchy little sister being the focal point of the show is not as interesting as doe-eyed Rossum trying to keep everyone else and her own shit together. I also get the feeling she is going to do something tremendously stupid this season because it looks like she's been shoplifting again, and an episode is entitled "Debbie May Be A Prostitute". At least Luis Guzman is back again to cause havoc with Frank.