DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

John from Cincinnati

I'm on episode 6 of The Righteous Gemstones, but holy shit that Interlude episode was probably my favorite so far. This show isn't at all what I thought it would be going into it. Yeah, it's a comedy, but it's also kind of a drama, and the only person that I feel sorry for (as of right now) is Eli Gemstone.

I was wondering who the actress for Aimee-Leigh was, because her singing was incredible, then I come to find out that it's Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland. Not a fan of that type of music, but I'll be damned if that performance of Misbehavin' wasn't super impressive. She also looks completely unrecognizable, so kudos to the wardrobe and make-up department on that one.

• Like 1

I expected some dark drama in a Danny McBride show. But I'm also surprised by how sympathetic they play Eli most of the time. You expect writers with teeth like these guys would gun harder at the patriarch at the top of a megachurch. But it works.

Regarding another show, I'll just leave this here,

• Haha 2

I have to stop watching these YA book adaptations. I'm watching Looking for Alaska right now and I'm just yelling at the tv screen. "Pudge! You idiot! Stay with the Romanian chick! She's way more into you!" These dumbass fuckin' kids and their melodrama. And there's no Pacey Witter in this bunch to relate to, either. 

On 10/25/2019 at 11:24 AM, supremebve said:

Is there a company in the history of the world that people trust less, but use more than Facebook?

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Banks? The stock market? 

Insurance companies.

• Like 1

9-1-1: Lone Star

Didn't realize that 9-1-1 was doing well enough to earn itself a spinoff starting Rob Lowe and Liv Tyler but here we are

BTW - since it is starting as a two night even in Mid Jan this is going to be what FOX promotes the fuck out of during the NFL playoffs

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The L Word: Generation Q

SEQUEL SERIES~!

Showtime Executives:  We're only hiring pretty lesbians.   Bear than in mind when you submit your headshot.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Banks? The stock market? 

I think the biggest difference is that the people who use banks and the stock market ultimately believe that they will get a return on their investment.  Facebook is the only company where people sign up for exploitation with little to no return on investment.  Just sign up, have your information used against your will, be fed lies, in exchange for laughing at the occasional meme.  Banks, Insurance companies, even fast food actually give you something for your exploitation.  If a company isn't selling anything to their customers, they are selling their customers.  The difference between Facebook and other companies that sell their user info is that Facebook isn't really giving anything back, they're just taking.

• Like 1

Carnival Row is just a really entertaining show, somehow. Orlando Bloom, widely regarded as the worst actor in the history of actors and worst things, is somehow entirely serviceable. Cara Delevingne will never win an Oscar, but she tends to just make things subtly better, not that the material required that of her, since it's well-executed and well-realized.  Supporting cast is a good mix of familiar faces and newcomers who pull their weight. I had no expectation this would be any good, but now I really want another season of it. 

9 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There's a 50/50 chance that in ten years, The Deuce is looked back on more fondly than The Wire. Not sure how many here have been watching and want to get into that, but (acknowledging recency bias) I think its David Simon's best work. 

I think that The Deuce is Simon's best work from a technical perspective in that he finally figured out how to deliver a satisfying ending.   I think he was told that The Wire was kaput long before he was prepared to part with the characters and it showed in the way the last episode concluded.

Simon REALLY cared about the world he built and the characters that inhabited it.  That's what made The Wire so compelling.   Story and event wise, I think The Wire is better than The Deuce.

You could tell that Simon also cared a lot about the characters in The Deuce but at least this time around, he had solid timelines which he stuck to.   When it was time for things to end, they ended.  There was an almost beautiful nostalgia in the final moments of the last episode even though the subjects of the nostalgia were pimps and sex workers and vice cops.

I think this show benefitted a lot from the more high profile actors in the cast also being Executive Producers and having a say in character development.  It's odd how The Deuce masterfully told a story about the business of sleaze without having an abundance of sleazy characters.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The Deuce is still on my list of things to watch. I probably watched half of the first season and stopped for whatever reason. I remember it being ok.

Caught Silicon Valley and Mrs. Fletcher this week. I expected Mrs. Fletcher to be funnier than it was given that it stars Katherine Hahn and she's fucking awesome, but instead I just wound up hating the shit out of her son on the show. Silicon Valley is off to a pretty good start for their final season. After thinking Richard had finally figured out how to be a good CEO and leader, he's as shitty at his job as ever. The stuff with Dinesh and Gilfoyle was hilarious though. 

• Like 1