DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

John from Cincinnati

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I mean, Kendall did what Logan wanted. The transformation is complete and I posted about that in the first or second episode of this season, except Kendall will be better than his dad. Logan needed to and wanted to be the sacrifice. All it took was a little push to make it happen.

That might all be true if it were the series finale. He definitely conveys his pride in Kendall in that last scene but there is no way he wanted or expected it to actually happen in that moment.

51 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

That might all be true if it were the series finale. He definitely conveys his pride in Kendall in that last scene but there is no way he wanted or expected it to actually happen in that moment.

The interview with Brian Cox says that was the intent. Now, that's what Logan would have wanted in the moment, but he's too much of a rattlesnake to let that sit well with him. Plus, Shiv is a shithead and who knows where Roman's brain space is at. Roman was clearly the most physically abused of the three kids and there's no reason he should support Logan as much as he does, but Logan's mind control is strong. Same goes for Shiv. What I'll be most interested in is if it becomes everyone against Kendall, if Logan tells the kids "no, this is how it was supposed to be" and then they family collectively bands together during this period of uncertainty, or if the family breaks into separate factions.

Also, will Roman and Gerri get it on?

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The interview with Brian Cox says that was the intent. Now, that's what Logan would have wanted in the moment, but he's too much of a rattlesnake to let that sit well with him. Plus, Shiv is a shithead and who knows where Roman's brain space is at. Roman was clearly the most physically abused of the three kids and there's no reason he should support Logan as much as he does, but Logan's mind control is strong. Same goes for Shiv. What I'll be most interested in is if it becomes everyone against Kendall, if Logan tells the kids "no, this is how it was supposed to be" and then they family collectively bands together during this period of uncertainty, or if the family breaks into separate factions.

The Brian Cox interview struck me as an actor talking about his process, not about something that was scripted and I think that is borne out by the After the Episode bit

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, will Roman and Gerri get it on?

This is almost certainly going to happen.

Oooooooh...interesting hypothesis for what happened in the finale. I've read this in a couple places and heard it talked about on the Ringer, but basically it goes like this:

• Shiv and Kendall have been working together since their embrace.
  • Shiv not only told her dad to go with Rhea knowing that it wouldn't work out, but she saved Tom when Tom didn't want to be saved and convinced her dad to let Kendall take Tom's place.
  • Kendall has no aspirations to run the company, but he is all about taking down his dad so that Shiv can take over.
  • Kendall is still taking the fall and will more than likely lose his seat, but he feels that he owes it to Shiv to make good on turning her wedding into a shitshow.
  • So they go with Rhea, who turns it down, and leads to this last minute effort to privatize, which in no way is going to work, leading to someone to take the fall.
  • If Logan willingly does it, the shareholders likely still back Logan because they've known the guy this whole time, but they hold no allegiances to Kendall.
  • Kendall being the one to take the fall and doing so in this way backs the board and the government into a corner and now it's unlikely that Logan weasels out of this.
  • Kendall loses his seat, Shiv swoops in, Shiv is named successor.

As fan theories or hypotheses goes, it's not bad, but something like the above makes more sense in something like Billions. In Billions, backdoor dealings that lead to one huge scheme that wind up being revealed are common place. With Succession, what you see is what you get. It would be really out of character for this kind of deus ex machina to be used in this series.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oooooooh...interesting hypothesis for what happened in the finale. I've read this in a couple places and heard it talked about on the Ringer, but basically it goes like this:

• Shiv and Kendall have been working together since their embrace.
  • Shiv not only told her dad to go with Rhea knowing that it wouldn't work out, but she saved Tom when Tom didn't want to be saved and convinced her dad to let Kendall take Tom's place.
  • Kendall has no aspirations to run the company, but he is all about taking down his dad so that Shiv can take over.
  • Kendall is still taking the fall and will more than likely lose his seat, but he feels that he owes it to Shiv to make good on turning her wedding into a shitshow.
  • So they go with Rhea, who turns it down, and leads to this last minute effort to privatize, which in no way is going to work, leading to someone to take the fall.
  • If Logan willingly does it, the shareholders likely still back Logan because they've known the guy this whole time, but they hold no allegiances to Kendall.
  • Kendall being the one to take the fall and doing so in this way backs the board and the government into a corner and now it's unlikely that Logan weasels out of this.
  • Kendall loses his seat, Shiv swoops in, Shiv is named successor.

As fan theories or hypotheses goes, it's not bad, but something like the above makes more sense in something like Billions. In Billions, backdoor dealings that lead to one huge scheme that wind up being revealed are common place. With Succession, what you see is what you get. It would be really out of character for this kind of deus ex machina to be used in this series.

Is the Ringer podcast worth listening to and do they discuss it for long? Been waiting for the RoyCast episode.

I am nearly caught up on Altered Carbon.   I crapped out after Episode Six when I started binging Legend of Hell House.

I am glad I am not an Envoy because I would dispense more than my fare share of assbeatings during the week..  I'd be in jail in no time flat.

I need one of those EM flechette round pistols like yesterday.

I am sad that I am too old and too thin to get Takeshi's figure eight / worm ouroboros tattoos on my shoulder.

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, peterien said:

I just realised we never hear what Shiv says to Kendall before he talks to Logan. @Craig H you could be onto something.

Yeah, I noticed that too on rewatch. Something is definitely up. The showrunners don't just setup stuff without paying it off. Hell, they setup the Napoleon's dick thing at the beginning of the season and paid that off in the season finale.

Something not mentioned so far is that Connor is broke, which is kinda hilarious. And people think Kendall has problems. At least Kendall isn't throwing all of his money away on failed presidential bids, a girlfriend's play, and other crap. Connor is the most useless Roy, but I'll always love Alan Ruck because of FBDO.

• Like 2

The finale of The Righteous Gemstones wrapped thngs up niccely. Of course there were certain things that became obvious were going to happen, not the least of which was calling what happened to Baby Billy once it started raining. I was totally wrong about Baby Billy being on the level anyway and I admit it. Eli Gemstone is boss of bosses just for his toally gangster line of "I forgive you but I  won't forget"

James

On 10/15/2019 at 12:30 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Desus & Mero is finally back on Showtime after they took a ridiculous 14 or however many weeks off (it really was that long). They make both a Meteor Man and a Darkwing Duck reference for all us '90s kids.

I went to school with Big Hat Ray Ray who did the theme for Meteor Man.

8 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The Outback Stakehouse scene was wild. Edi Patterson should be in everything. 

All of the Judy/ BJ stuff was fantastic. Edi Patterson is so unbelievably talented it's insane.

And the full Gemstones soundtrack is out now, I'm listening to it right now, and it's fucking awesome.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What was he even doing for them? He walked away from Mayans MC. 

Hadn't heard that. Considering he was running out of steam towards the end of SoA, I doubt that's had an adverse effect on the show's quality.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

And the full Gemstones soundtrack is out now, I'm listening to it right now, and it's fucking awesome.

Just don't go running through the house with a pickle in your mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Hadn't heard that. Considering he was running out of steam towards the end of SoA, I doubt that's had an adverse effect on the show's quality.

Just don't go running through the house with a pickle in your mouth. 

Yeah, Sutter kinda sorta walked away from running the show, but remained as a producer or EP. He would still make somewhat frequent visits to the set and from the sounds of it 2 or 3 weeks ago it was like Vince McMahon showing up, thinking everything was shit, wanting to tear up scripts, and all of that.

Sutter still has his contract with FX though, so expect another show from him in the near future where he either shoehorns in Katie Segal or music from Katie Segal or both.

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Surprisingly, no " Misbehaving " on the soundtrack. 

WTF? that's weird, giving how much it playedin te whole show. I do hope Baby Billy is still around for season 2

James

Regina King is the main character in HBO's Watchmen?  

ent1-Watchmen-Regina-King-Masked.jpg

I'm all in.

First episode last night was pretty solid.  I think I am down for the longer haul

Edited by J.T.

Also to my surprise, the final season of Mr. Robot has had some decent episodes so far, but they have been rather lacking in the cyber exploits that hooked me during S1.

I did enjoy last night's callback to:

Spoiler

Fernando Vera, the drug dealer that killed Kayla and outwitted Elliot that one time, is back!

We'll see how long it takes for this current season to disappoint me.  Early odds are that I will abandon it halfway through.

Oh, and I hate you, Altered Carbon.  Only you could ruin Dichen Lachman nudity by having her covered in blood and glass and putting her in a fight scene where multiple clones of her character are shot, stabbed, and otherwise murdered.

No joke, that was an awesome fucking fight scene.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1