DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

John from Cincinnati

Re: Kendall, I didn't have to turn on him because I've always seen him as an entitled daddy's boy/failson, same as the rest of them. The rap was just another excuse for me to point and laugh.

Re: Shiv outside the company, I liken her outside interests to Ivanka's alleged more liberal leanings. She's only going to follow her convictions and aspirations so far, because at the end of the day she's as much a part of the cult as everyone else. 

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Re: Kendall, I didn't have to turn on him because I've always seen him as an entitled daddy's boy/failson, same as the rest of them. The rap was just another excuse for me to point and laugh.

Re: Shiv outside the company, I liken her outside interests to Ivanka's alleged more liberal leanings. She's only going to follow her convictions and aspirations so far, because at the end of the day she's as much a part of the cult as everyone else. 

Kendall - Yeah, he's very much an entitled daddy's boy, but daddy also pushed him back into substance abuse after being sober. Logan knows that, but like Rhea said, he seemingly doesn't care about anything and that's frightening. Maybe that's why I feel a very small sliver of empathy for Kendall - he might have always been an asshole and a Daddy's boy or whatever, but as far as we saw, he didn't actively destroy someone's life like what Logan pushed him back into IE the drugs and alcohol. You could make a case for everyone's responsible for their own actions, etc. but I think when you know with almost certainty that your own father planted stories about you being a ranting drug addict in the streets, some of the blame does fall on Logan as well. The rap was actually pretty good for a dude that's painfully white and not very cool.

I'm torn on the blood sacrifice line. The preview for the finale wants you to believe it could be anyone, then at the end they make you think it'll be Logan. Greg's chances aren't looking too good right now.

On paper, a show about a computer hacking anarchist looking to bring down the system in an overstylized show heavy in voice over should be my least favorite thing ever made. But instead Mr. Robot is on the short list of my all-time favorites.

Great great great first episode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterien said:

So many questions about that succession finale. What a fucking hour of tv. Also, is that one of the perfect or near perfect seasons of tv? 

Hide contents

Team EggDall for LIFE

I probably re-watched that last scene so many times. You said he's not a killer and it turns out he's a murderer. It was a masterful season of TV that all built to that moment.

S2E10 has to be up there for one of the best episodes of television this year. Jesus christ.

"I don't know. I love you, I do. I just, uh, I wonder if, I wonder if the sad I'd be without you would be less than the sad I get from being with you."

Fucking heartbreaking stuff, that touches my soul.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

S2E10 has to be up there for one of the best episodes of television this year. Jesus christ.

"I don't know. I love you, I do. I just, uh, I wonder if, I wonder if the sad I'd be without you would be less than the sad I get from being with you."

Fucking heartbreaking stuff, that touches my soul.

Oh for real. I felt bad for Tom since last season and Matthew Macfadyen pulls off looking sad better than anyone else. I'm glad that came to a head and that character had the guts to say that. It's one of those lines that I think resonates with a lot of people.

This episode made me hate Shiv a little bit more, too. She suggested Kendall to Logan, went against Tom's wishes and asked Logan to spare Tom "for her", plus the entire open marriage thing which Tom only agreed to because he loves her so damn much. Looks like Tom might have a little bit of killer in him as well - wasn't scared to eat the old man's nasty looking chicken after that little chat with Shiv.

• Like 1

I do love that on a night where we had that Succession finale and the Gemstones finale that Ballers finally ended. What a shitty finale to a shitty series. The ending to Ballers made the MCU movies look realistic. This final season also made zero sense. It's like there was a missing season before this one and that's where the NCAA fallout with Spence happened and that's where everyone turned on Spence.

• Like 2

Just now, Casey said:

This episode made me hate Shiv a little bit more, too. She suggested Kendall to Logan, went against Tom's wishes and asked Logan to spare Tom "for her", plus the entire open marriage thing which Tom only agreed to because he loves her so damn much. Looks like Tom might have a little bit of killer in him as well - wasn't scared to eat the old man's nasty looking chicken after that little chat with Shiv.

I mean, Kendall did what Logan wanted. The transformation is complete and I posted about that in the first or second episode of this season, except Kendall will be better than his dad. Logan needed to and wanted to be the sacrifice. All it took was a little push to make it happen.

• Like 1

Oh man, I was going to mention Ballers earlier. I like the show, but it's always felt a bit too... I don't know. Polished? Not realistic? Just doesn't seem like something that would be on HBO, since they usually put out high quality shit and Ballers feels like it could be on TBS or something (minus the profanity and nudity). I didn't even know it was the series finale until I started up the DVR recording and it had a countdown! Everyone's story was either too nicely wrapped up in the end, or existing stories were rushed to the finish line. Why did the NFL owners gather for a meeting to oust Spencer, but then a majority of them voted for the thing that they hated and was the reason they wanted him out as an owner? And ESPECIALLY why did Christopher McDonald's character vote for the lifetime health insurance?! If they had extended the season to a few more episodes I feel like this finale would have worked better, so they could expand on those stories just a little bit more so the conclusions would actually matter, but, eh, whatever.

It's not a show I'll actively miss or anything. Especially since Watchmen is starting next week.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're too much of a contrarian to know when you're wrong.

No, you! 

Weeks later, I'm still thinking about Techno Gatsby and then he hurls this one at me. 

EG10vgfUEAEim8X.png

So many dumb quotes taking up space in my brain.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy