DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

John from Cincinnati

Holy shit, Gemstones was epic last night. I thought the first 5 minutes were going to be the most intense part of the episode, but then the rest of the episode kept playing out like they were setting up for a series finale.

Succession also continues to be the shit and I have no idea what's going to happen. Logan is going to throw someone under the bus and I think it will be Roman. Him talking about a blood sacrifice with Shiv while Kendall is on the TV seems way too obvious of a choice to go with. Honestly, as much of a fuckup Kendall is, he is useful and savvy and Logan has Kendall in his pocket. Roman is just as much of a fuck up and isn't good at anything. The only reason why I'm coming to this conclusion is that I'm re-watching season 1 with my wife and we finished the season 1 finale. Kendall shreds Roman saying he wouldn't be anything and couldn't even handle a job at Burger King if it wasn't for their dad's money. Roman was the one sent off to boarding school as a kid, Logan seems to acknowledge frequently now that no one likes Roman, he's abusive to him in a way that's different from how he's abusive to Kendall and Shiv, and he's utterly useless at Waystar Royco. 

• Like 3

As far as credible fall guys go, Roman is pretty lightweight. We don't know how literally to take the "blood part" of "blood sacrifice," but Tom's been a gift-wrapped patsy since probably last season.  I'd say any of the big players mentioned by name on the news piece at the beginning are still in the hot seat. That'll include Kendall and Gerri in my book. No idea where this is going though.

Funny you should mention Logan pointing out often how nobody likes Roman. He bigged Roman up and told him people like him before sending him on his mission. Not that we should ever trust a thing Logan says to his kids. Father of the year he ain't. 

Re: Kendall shredding Roman... Pot, meet kettle. Although neither of them are Logan's worst offspring, because neither is running for president on the platform of abolishing the IRS. A shame Connor is too disconnected from the business to hang out to dry. 

It'll be interested to see if you can indeed make a Tomlette without breaking a few Gregs.

• Like 1

I'll be disappointed if it's Gerri. That would suck. And Connor is the guy I'd choose to take the fall, but somehow, someway he was smart enough to distance himself from the family business. He'll have his own issues with the IRS anyway.

I also doubt it's Tom taking the fall.

The real mindfuck of them all is if Logan tries to stab Shiv in the back. I don't think he would because it's his only daughter, but he's also Logan Roy and I wouldn't put it past him to push her in front of a train if it meant 1) Killing a liberal who could threaten him and 2) Self-preservation. 

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I saw someone suggest Logan could sacrifice himself. Of course that person immediately laughed off their own suggestion, because Logan is going to die running that company if he gets his way. 

And that's why Succession feels more about the McMahons than Fox News Corp.

I think it’s so obviously set up to be Tom/Kendall that there’s a curveball coming from somewhere. Could Kendall be setting up a deal with the Pierce (cousin?) on the sly? Or do all the kids band together and throw Logan under the bus?

There was so much going on that I'd completely forgotten Naomi showing up at the hearings till you mentioned her just now. 

I'm still waiting for James Cromwell to suddenly become more important and aggressively throw his lot in with Stewie and syphilitic (or is that just an rumour that's really making the rounds?) Sandy.  

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

S1 is a constant tease. Ignoring the obvious “Logan almost gets taken down but it’s put down at the last minute” examples - Nate’s comeuppance being told to leave and pour wine back into a bottle is the worst. I haven’t seen S2 yet, maybe something happens, but holy fuck this show is just like a 10 hour edging marathon. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad, yet.

I’m on Team Greg though. Fuck you guys.

Wearily decided to give a stay of execution to new seasons of Mr Robot and Walking Dead last night.

Mr Robot was actually pretty interesting, at least most it's been in a while. 

Spoiler

Jake Busey was really good. Pity he's a one and done.

Walking Dead achieved it's usual goal of sending me to sleep 20 minutes in. I may keep it around for this purpose alone.

Finally got around to watching Black Sails - 2 eps in and I'm pretty interested. Otherwise - one episode into the Handmaid's Tale and I'm so-so, starting to get momentum with season 1 of Mad Men, and I'm pretty sure I'll pull the pin on Legion at the end of season 1 - how boring and pretentious.

20 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You're far from alone. A lot of the fandom I've come in contact with is definitely all in on Cousin Greg. 

I liked Shiv up until she cheated, then I wanted her and Nate to both get theirs. I was on Team Kendall until the last 10-15 minutes or something of the season 1 finale.

Honestly, I might just be Team Frank because he's the only one with any sense.

Cousin Greg for life!!!

And Tom telling fuckface to pour his wine back into the bottle was the best. It was a sincere moment where Tom had a backbone. I love Tom and Greg. 

Tom and Greg have some really great moments in S2/

Gil Eavis being Succession's Elizabeth Warren was interesting, but I'm not a huge fan of Eric Bogosian. He was one of the worst parts about Law & Order: Criminal Intent, besides Chris Noth.

I'm choosing to believe the President in their world is actually Donald Trump too, considering that Logan asked the POTUS for help with FCC red tape. But it's not like a Democrat wouldn't do that sort of favor for a media giant like Logan Roy, either.

Edited by Casey

I'm only on episode 5 of the second season now, but I think I'm rooting for Kendall (and Greg), but only because he's been so thoroughly broken that I want to see him get some redemption.

That company retreat episode was weiiiiird as fuck.

The company retreat was amazeballs. Boar on the floor in particular. This series doesn't give you that many "awwww" moments, but almost all of them involve Greg and Tom and that episode was the best "awwww" moment between Greg and Tom.

Oh yeah, you'll cease rooting for Kendall very soon. Get ready to cringe like you've never cringed before. 

[Craig and Newbury laugh]

Then again, Kendall did something this week that I didn't think he had in him anymore. It was like he crushed up that pill from Limitless and snorted that. Or it was like this:

Episode 5 is Tern Haven, which might be the best episode this season. I'm not sure. I'm looking forward to re-watching it.

Alex Trebek gave an interview with Oprah Magazine where he said he believes he "is approaching the end of his life" and will probably not be able to complete his contract for Jeopardy! 

Apparently his cancer is back as he's had to undergo new rounds of chemo.  

• Sad 4

IIRC, the contract in question goes only through the end of the current season.

The worst is hearing him talk about people coming up to him and looking for reassurance. As if it's on the dude with the cancer to make you feel better about. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Alex Trebek gave an interview with Oprah Magazine where he said he believes he "is approaching the end of his life" and will probably not be able to complete his contract for Jeopardy! 

Apparently his cancer is back as he's had to undergo new rounds of chemo.  

What is "Fucked" for $500.

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

The company retreat was amazeballs. Boar on the floor in particular. This series doesn't give you that many "awwww" moments, but almost all of them involve Greg and Tom and that episode was the best "awwww" moment between Greg and Tom.

Oh yeah, you'll cease rooting for Kendall very soon. Get ready to cringe like you've never cringed before. 

[Craig and Newbury laugh]

Then again, Kendall did something this week that I didn't think he had in him anymore. It was like he crushed up that pill from Limitless and snorted that. Or it was like this:

Episode 5 is Tern Haven, which might be the best episode this season. I'm not sure. I'm looking forward to re-watching it.

I guess you’re talking about the rap? I didn’t find that cringe inducing. I haven’t seen a reason to cease rooting for him either. Not yet, anyway. I’m up to E9 of the second season, obviously.

Kinda sucks that they just dropped the Presidential campaign storyline. It was way more interesting when Shiv was outside of the company than on the inside.