DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 7

Dolfan in NYC

Are ACL tears like hamstring pulls, in regards to PED's? Not accusing anyone o anything, but there seems to be a hell of a lot more of them than there used to be.

No, they're not.  You see more of these now because guys hit lower than they used to.  That doesn't apply in Wayne's case, since his was non-contact, but that's the general rule, like in Cushing's case.

Jim Kelly put up crazy numbers in the USFL - 5200 yards his rookie year, 4600 his other full season - but he wasn't on Peyton's level as a QB, even if we give him a boost from the rules that Peyton has played under.  Kelly threw way too many picks - 175 in 160 games - to belong in the same discussion as Peyton.

Kelly in the postseason - 21 TDs, 28 INTs.  If we take away his first two playoff games, he's at 16 TDs, 26 INTs.  By any measure, in any era, that's terrible.

Now, if you put Dan Marino in this era?  He'd probably be putting up numbers that surpass what Drew Brees has done.  His teams would still have no running game*, though, and he'd still not have a Super Bowl ring.

* - The Dolphins not having a running game with Marino is really directly attributable to him.  Marino's technique in all phases of the running game was awful.  He was slow to get the ball to RBs, couldn't do wide handoffs well, and exposed the ball a lot.  Granted, they had no superstar backs when he was there but c'mon.  You've got Dan Marino throwing, you should be able to plug in an "eh" RB and get 1000 yards if your QB doesn't kill it for you.

ACL tears are going down all over sports, not just football. I'd like to see how many ACL tears have been from a low hit though. The ones I've seen have been incidental - falling funky or tripping over a pile.

Jim Kelly put up crazy numbers in the USFL - 5200 yards his rookie year, 4600 his other full season - but he wasn't on Peyton's level as a QB, even if we give him a boost from the rules that Peyton has played under.  Kelly threw way too many picks - 175 in 160 games - to belong in the same discussion as Peyton.

Kelly in the postseason - 21 TDs, 28 INTs.  If we take away his first two playoff games, he's at 16 TDs, 26 INTs.  By any measure, in any era, that's terrible.

Now, if you put Dan Marino in this era?  He'd probably be putting up numbers that surpass what Drew Brees has done.  His teams would still have no running game*, though, and he'd still not have a Super Bowl ring.

* - The Dolphins not having a running game with Marino is really directly attributable to him.  Marino's technique in all phases of the running game was awful.  He was slow to get the ball to RBs, couldn't do wide handoffs well, and exposed the ball a lot.  Granted, they had no superstar backs when he was there but c'mon.  You've got Dan Marino throwing, you should be able to plug in an "eh" RB and get 1000 yards if your QB doesn't kill it for you.

Okay that's fair. . .

GOD DAMN IT, I SAID....

Posted Image

• Like 2

Given how much receivers can do with the loosen rules, I think both Marino and Kelly would have rings in this era. . . My whole point was just with the changing eras, the Gap between Kelly and Manning isn't quite as large as one might think

As for Adams, another NFL dinosaur bites the dust. I don't know as much as I probably should about the Oilers move, but perhaps some of our Texas friends can elaborate about how much of an asshole you have to be to not get a stadium deal in HOUSTON for FOOTBALL. . . .

ACL tears are going down all over sports, not just football. I'd like to see how many ACL tears have been from a low hit though. The ones I've seen have been incidental - falling funky or tripping over a pile.

A lot of the ACL tears in any year have been from low hits.  People seem to be hyper focusing on the low hits now that the high hits are being watched.  I agree with the earlier poster.  With athletes being bigger and faster every year you are inevitably seeing more ligament injuries.

Vince Young, still available.

I'm pretty sure Jeff George can still "make all the throws".

You sick freak!  He's gone and should remain that way!  Oh, I thought I wouldn't hear his name ever again!  Where are my smelling salts?  I feel faint!

Call me drunk again and I'll start PM'ing you the name "Jeff George" once a week for the rest of your life.

You sick freak!  He's gone and should remain that way!  Oh, I thought I wouldn't hear his name ever again!  Where are my smelling salts?  I feel faint!

Call me drunk again and I'll start PM'ing you the name "Jeff George" once a week for the rest of your life.

CYBERBULLY!  CYBERBULLY!  I'LL GET YOU!  I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!  *DUN DUN DUN*

This conversation is pointless unless someone eventually kills himself.

This conversation is pointless unless someone eventually kills himself.

Do like Katniss and volunteer, buddy.

*not really, but really, did you have to go THERE?*

• Like 1