Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Recommended Posts

The problem with Rollins isn't just these things...but at least you can understand why Rollins is on top in a roundabout sense.

Seth Rollins was given the spot because when he was anointed, he was the most inoffensive choice there was. It wasn't just three good weeks to make him one, but rather the fact that Seth Rollins was nobody's FAVORITE, but pretty much everyone thought he was okay. It wasn't the "I love Seth Rollins, he's the best ever!", but "...oh, yeah, Rollins. He's not bad, I like that guy, I guess..."

On paper, that made Rollins a good choice: He's not the choice everyone loves, but 100% approval ratings are never going to happen again for the top guy...so it's now about finding the person the most possible fans can live with as the top guy. 

In practice, you find the real problem: Just "I can live with that guy" is waving a white flag and admitting "we got nothing. We're just going to give a milquetoast program that won't offend anyone. We're going to strive for 'okay'. It's not going to be great, it's not going to be bad...it'll just be okay." And most of WWE's big problems with the show is that it's...well, it's okay. It's not great, it's not as bad as people think...it's....just okay.

Seth Rollins is an okay top guy...and that's not okay. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whodathunkit said:

Eh, I largely agree with Seth.  I'm probably in the minority, but the Mox podcast with Jericho annoyed me.  Moxley would go out of his way to say "well, I don't want to bash the company but....." and then he would spend 20 minutes telling embarrassing stories  and generally shitting on the company.  I don't have a problem with bashing Vince - and Mox was very entertaining.  But the whole "I'm going to take the high road here nudge nudge wink wink" routine irritated me.

You have to be confusing the Jericho podcast with a different one Moxley did or have a really bad recollection because I just listened to this last night and this did not happen. 

As for Rollins I’ve seen no less then 10 theories on here a day as to why he’s not over or the guy and I think what it really boils down to is casual/modern wrestling fans do not like baby faces who come out and only say shit like “The WWE universe” and credit all their accomplishments and abilities to the fans like they’re begging to be liked. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Whodathunkit said:

Eh, I largely agree with Seth.  I'm probably in the minority, but the Mox podcast with Jericho annoyed me.  Moxley would go out of his way to say "well, I don't want to bash the company but....." and then he would spend 20 minutes telling embarrassing stories  and generally shitting on the company.  I don't have a problem with bashing Vince - and Mox was very entertaining.  But the whole "I'm going to take the high road here nudge nudge wink wink" routine irritated me.

Narc.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's the Sharecropper when you need him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, just drew said:

Narc.

 

4 hours ago, Zartan said:

You have to be confusing the Jericho podcast with a different one Moxley did or have a really bad recollection because I just listened to this last night and this did not happen. 

As for Rollins I’ve seen no less then 10 theories on here a day as to why he’s not over or the guy and I think what it really boils down to is casual/modern wrestling fans do not like baby faces who come out and only say shit like “The WWE universe” and credit all their accomplishments and abilities to the fans like they’re begging to be liked. 

How is that any different from any other top baby face since Cena. Cena was that last Babyface Champ that was allowed to be a badass and not be a complete geek. Even with the poopy jokes and other lame stuff he did he still came across at someone not to mess around with. Even Roman was allowed to really be a badass until before he left last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rollins isn't over now because despite being consistently pushed for years, he was really never that over. He's a product of a change in philosophy in the company that took place a few years back. Traditionally, in order to earn a sustained push  you need to be drawing.  At some point drawing power no longer mattered. The same players would be pushed and featured no matter what. This left WWE  with a generation of performers at the top of the card nobody asked for. 

Now that Rollins is in the role of top guy for the promotion, he was destined to fall on his face. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Brock is going to eat Adam Cole.

 

9 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Give me Cole and Lesnar in the same ring so Lesnar could literally eat him.

Well Brock can start on his arms but that would barely be an appetiser. Lesnar will be begging for @AxB’s guns for a proper meal.

Btw I can’t talk - in contrast to our esteemed board member, I’m built like Brian Hildebrand if he had been stretched a few inches taller...

Edited by Custos
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a period about a year and a half ago, I believe shortly after Rollins got the stomp back that he did seem to turn a corner and was over enough to seem like a legit top guy. I think part of the problem was putting him in an extended program with Dolph shortly after this but I think a good portion of it comes down to there being no top belt on Raw for way too long and hence they had to wait too long before taking a shot on Rollins as the top guy again. I'm not convinced that he's cut out to be a top face, but the timing of it likely didn't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Rollins isn't over now because despite being consistently pushed for years, he was really never that over. He's a product of a change in philosophy in the company that took place a few years back. Traditionally, in order to earn a sustained push  you need to be drawing.  At some point drawing power no longer mattered. The same players would be pushed and featured no matter what. This left WWE  with a generation of performers at the top of the card nobody asked for. 

Now that Rollins is in the role of top guy for the promotion, he was destined to fall on his face. 

The irony is that the only times Rollins ever got over where those times when WWE gave up on him and moved on.  When he got moved down the card, THEN the fans organically took to him.  And THEN he got cheered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty well known around here that I can't stand Rollins, but there's no denying he was the most over face on the roster for a good chunk of 2018. But he started cooling off in the latter part of that summer. He was still over, but by the time his Rumble win rolled around, he was just one of the handful of guys getting roughly the same pop. And it's just been slowly withering away all year.

It's classic WWE though; don't strike when the iron is hot, wait six or eight months. Then strike regardless of whether or not it's still hot.

(Except with Rusev. With Rusev it's just refuse to strike no matter what.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, October 2019. I come in peace from the future. I bring a message: WWE still sucks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...