Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Recommended Posts

It's funny when you think back at just how little good wrestling there was. There was stuff here and there, but I can't imagine what I would have done with all the time I could have had back that I spent on watching Jericho/Steph vs HHH, HHH fucking a corpse, "I did it...for da Rock," all of the utterly forgotten and useless people from the muscular model era under Johnny Ace, and hell, even some shit like Terry Funk as Chainsaw Charlie still bugs me. There's so much more to rattle off, but the quantity of bad vastly, VASTLY outweighs the good, but at least you had Austin being Austin, the Rock being the Rock, Jericho being Jericho, and so on. The quality of good now either doesn't measure up or it's not even there. 

Like, we're at a point where Seth is dying out there every week, it's clear they need to turn his boring ass heel again and just let him keep doing the same shit, but have him programmed against faces, and meanwhile Roman is probably the most consistently over he's ever been, the boos have nearly died out, he's doing cool shit, and...OF COURSE HE'S GOING TO FEUD WITH BARON CORBIN. Nothing like raising your profile by feuding with a complete vacuum of charisma. The funny thing is, I bet if they just let Corbin go out there and be himself instead of an AKTOR reading shit awful lines, he probably would be more interesting. Down is up and all that.

And that doesn't even touch on all of the hot garbage from WCW. I know they probably weren't around for that long, but the Dungeon of Doom felt like they lasted 5 years. For every Flair vs Arn angle, Flair/Elizabeth vs Hogan and/or Macho, and the good nWo stuff, there was just tons of other bullshit to wade through.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vader bomb countered into a power slam to the floor!?!

IYH30.gif

What a spot monkey.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And that doesn't even touch on all of the hot garbage from WCW. I know they probably weren't around for that long, but the Dungeon of Doom felt like they lasted 5 years. For every Flair vs Arn angle, Flair/Elizabeth vs Hogan and/or Macho, and the good nWo stuff, there was just tons of other bullshit to wade through.

At least after the nWo settled in the Dungeon of Doom dropped the bullshit to become a team of ass kickers... And Konnan.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I remember of the Dungeon of Doom post-nWo was keeping Barbarian and Meng as a tag team and young me foolishly thinking they would win the tag titles in that triple threat against the nWo and Harlem Heat. I thought they would win because Meng was better than everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

All I remember of the Dungeon of Doom post-nWo was keeping Barbarian and Meng as a tag team and young me foolishly thinking they would win the tag titles in that triple threat against the nWo and Harlem Heat. I thought they would win because Meng was better than everyone.

You forget Giant just squishing people with chokeslams, even prior to the nWo. Also Benoit Vs. Sullivan.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Side Russian leg sweep on the apron? 

Did you know that's the hardest part of the ring?

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side Russian Leg Sweep off the apron through a table, like Joey Janela tried to do to Kenny Omega on AEW Dark episode 2 (only Omega blocked it and Janela took a Nestea Plunge bump)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Did you know that's the hardest part of the ring?

You see that mat over there? Nothing but cement under it, bro. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JR explained (I think in the Kenny/Janela match) that it's the hardest part of the ring because of the "metal ring frame".

Edited by Infinit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

How do you learn how to fall off a 20 foot ladder?

Repetition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a micro-chasm of what is wrong with WWE. After many matches and ugly tweets and words Natalya, out of the blue, picks Lacey and they are partners with no problems whatsoever. That's not a story, PAL. 

I'm not going to bore anybody with fantasy booking. If you have watched wrestling for 5 anyone could. Most people on this board could take 5 minutes and write something serious, something wacky, attempted humor or several other things that explain this, create character motivations for both sides and leave open ends for it to go a multiple of ways. Literally that would take some of y'all 5 minutes. 

Would it change the business? Start a new boom period? Of course not. It might not even be good. You know what it's better than? Doing the laziest middle finger to the audience possible, which is nothing. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

 

Exibit B...

shaniqua09.jpg

Shaniqua & The Basham’s

 

I've been watching a lot of 00/01 Ohio Valley lately, and man, the WWE wasted Doug Basham and Damaja. They weren't going to be main eventers, but they were both much better than... this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Can you imagine how better it would be if we lived in a world where all of the modern guys who idolize HBK idolized Bret Hart instead? I can and it hurts.

SIDE RUSSIAN LEG SWEEP PARTY!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posting here For maximum exposure of this kid with Park

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I've been watching a lot of 00/01 Ohio Valley lately, and man, the WWE wasted Doug Basham and Damaja. They weren't going to be main eventers, but they were both much better than... this.

This was that amazing period when WWE was pretty much trying to fuck with Corny/OVW and he did just about the most incredible job of coming up with a logical reason to explain why the guys who were mortal enemies were on Smackdown as a tag team. Also led to one of the greatest tv episodes in wrestling history as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want Orton anywhere near AEW.  I truly despise him on every level, including personally (deserters don't sit well with me).

I consider him worse than Elgin (another guy I want nowhere near AEW).

That said, if NJPW-USA becomes a thing, AEW is going to have some problems finding folks to fill out the lack of depth in their midcard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Here's a micro-chasm of what is wrong with WWE. After many matches and ugly tweets and words Natalya, out of the blue, picks Lacey and they are partners with no problems whatsoever. That's not a story, PAL. 

I'm not going to bore anybody with fantasy booking. If you have watched wrestling for 5 anyone could. Most people on this board could take 5 minutes and write something serious, something wacky, attempted humor or several other things that explain this, create character motivations for both sides and leave open ends for it to go a multiple of ways. Literally that would take some of y'all 5 minutes. 

Would it change the business? Start a new boom period? Of course not. It might not even be good. You know what it's better than? Doing the laziest middle finger to the audience possible, which is nothing. 

The women's division will never have consistently as long as Vince has any creative input at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#FTRKO showing up in AEW and getting a replay of the nWo storyline on TNT while internet fanboys cry into their energy drinks is my new jam

Edited by BurningBeard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

#FTRKO showing up in AEW and getting a replay of the nWo storyline on TNT is my new jam

I don’t think those guys fit the nWo type at all. Though I’d mark out if Orton debuted while wearing a Canadian tuxedo like Hall did on Nitro.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Meltzer talking about ad revenue for wrestling(or lack thereof) this morning, it got me thinking. Given the crossover with Juggalos, and wrestling fans, why has Faygo not signed a partnership deal with a major wrestling organization?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

With Meltzer talking about ad revenue for wrestling(or lack thereof) this morning, it got me thinking. Given the crossover with Juggalos, and wrestling fans, why has Faygo not signed a partnership deal with a major wrestling organization?

Does Faygo even do ads outside of billboards in the Detroit area? Also can you even get it outside of the Rust Belt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...