Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Adamle's since been diagnosed with CTE-induced dementia, and JR has implied that his struggles with brain injuries affected his performance in WWE. Not sure how much I'd harp on him not taking the job seriously enough. 

I vaguely remember hearing something about Adamle having health issues, but I didn't know they were that far-reaching, and really, I shouldn't have assumed that he just didn't care enough about pro wrestling anyway, regardless of his health. Good info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's fine. I know how much people enjoyed making fun of him at the time. It just goes to show that you never know what other people are dealing with. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I DVR’d my way through Raw after work tonight.  I wont watch NXT.  Will catch up on Smackdown, Impact and AEW on Saturday morning and will watch MLW when I’m doing my cardio on the bike tomorrow.

If I have to add NWA in next week I might have to get up at 5am on Saturday to fit it all on.

Stupid wrestling.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch Raw & Smackdown regularly. I watch what I record from AXS from NJPW irregularly (still on the G! Sanada/Okada match). Until NXT on USA that was it as far wrestling on tv went. Don't have much interest in AEW or Impact so I will probably continue to ignore outside of checking results and comments on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I skim literally everything for the stuff I'm interested in or have heard buzz on. The closest I come to watching full shows these days is Impact. High hopes for AEW though. For the first few weeks at least, I expect I'll catch most of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work 2nd shift, and come 8 or 9pm, I'm usually caught up on my work with not much else to do. I have Sling, so I have access to everything I need to actually watch all the shows every night. I "watch" with the show on a smaller screen on my laptop while I do what work comes in on my main monitors, so a lot of the time it is more listening to the shows than actually watching them. 

I haven't kept up with Impact in years. A friend of mine is signed with them and I haven't had a chance to really watch since he signed, so now with Impact on AXS and SD moved to Friday, I'll now be able to tune on on a regular basis to check it out. Wednesdays will likely be spent watching AEW while NXT will be saved for either Thursday mornings or Thursday evenings at work. I tried keeping up with NXT UK for awhile, but didn't really keep my interest much past the first few weeks. I don't have access to network TV at work, so won't be able to watch Smackdown live on Fridays. That will have to wait until either Saturday when I watch on Hulu, or possibly until Monday depending on how my weekends are looking.

All this wrestling on TV is good for me as it gives me something to keep on in the background while doing my work, and I'm very interested in watching these newer shows to put a little more variety in to the mix during the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i work 2nd shift, so i won't be watching anything live.  but i'm ridiculously stoked for AEW tomorrow night.  Wednesday will become my new wrestling night, as i plan on watching NWA Power as a lead-in to AEW Dynamite starting next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys get the one hour RAW recap show? UK currently gets it on one of the free satellite channels, that and MLW (which is on Freesports) or all I can watch at the moment. Love the MLW presentation and logical storytelling, it's about as close to old school storytelling in wrestling you can get these days

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike when I have a post I am proud of but it's almost the end of the month so here is something to chew on:

 

I have been working on a succinct definition of professional wrestling for years, but this is my work-in-progress list of thee three necessary elements of a pro rasslin match ---

A) worked moves

B) predetermined finish

C) presented to the audience as sports competition

Without#1, you have a fixed MMA match. Without #2, it's gymnastics. No #3 it is a play.

 

still pondering,

RAF

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I have been working on a succinct definition of professional wrestling for years,

ce56d86e44f653b88497867e6383dfaa.jpg

So much of modern wrestling I see these days comes across as gymnastics even with a predetermined finish. It turns me off instantly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll watch nearly anything as long as it is good for the style they're doing. I'm not too picky. Just don't watch too much of the same types of match in a row. That seems to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

Do you guys get the one hour RAW recap show? UK currently gets it on one of the free satellite channels, that and MLW (which is on Freesports) or all I can watch at the moment. Love the MLW presentation and logical storytelling, it's about as close to old school storytelling in wrestling you can get these days

Impact is on 5Star on Friday nights. And I quit watching the one hour RAW because of the talking-to-wrestling ratio was annoying.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep forgetting to watch Impact and MLW even though both are available in the UK. Thanks for the reminder @AxB and @BurningBeard. As for my viewing habits, bits and pieces from WWE like RAW, Smackdown Live the PPVs and NXT. I also seek out NJPW and matches I fancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll check out AEW and NXT on Wednesday nights/Thursday mornings for sure, highlights of Raw, Smackdown, and Impact, MLW and NXT:UK when I can, and the big shows for New Japan and the indies. It’s a shame to reduce my NJPW intake but I think I can lose those Spirit Unleashed 6-mans and be okay. Seems sustainable long term. I’m also secretly hoping that AEW/NXT become huge hits and Raw and Smackdown fade a little into the background. Not out of pettiness, I’m just ready for something new entirely. (Too much money changing hands for that to happen, I know.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that WWETheBump thing they have been teasing on Twitter is a Wednesday Morning 1 hour talk show that is streamed live (and is already up on the Network)

For those of us over a certain age - this show is going to be infuriating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the reason why they picked the weird Sunday morning time slot for AEW on ITV4 was so it could be the lead in for RAW on SKY One. Make a wrestling block across two channels, sort of. Although why it's the lead in rather than the follow up I don't know. Do they think all wrestling fans really love Simpsons reruns and a terrible copy of They Think it's All Over?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly admire you folks who watch more than 2 hours of weekly wrestling TV a week. That takes some serious dedication. I've tried multiple times to sit through an hour of NXT and an hour of NXT UK and I just can't even though I love NXT. I couldn't imagine myself sitting through the endless amount of hours on TV now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I honestly admire you folks who watch more than 2 hours of weekly wrestling TV a week. That takes some serious dedication. I've tried multiple times to sit through an hour of NXT and an hour of NXT UK and I just can't even though I love NXT. I couldn't imagine myself sitting through the endless amount of hours on TV now.

I'm thankful for DVR and the fast forward button as I'm able to either skip things entirely or watch them at a slightly faster speed.  That and the occasional beer if I'm in for the long haul.  But it's going to be interesting to see how things are starting tonight.  Right now it's the calm before the storm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

So that WWETheBump thing they have been teasing on Twitter is a Wednesday Morning 1 hour talk show that is streamed live (and is already up on the Network)

For those of us over a certain age - this show is going to be infuriating

source.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For long periods of my wrestling watching, I'd have the TV's volume down, listen to music and fast forward all the promos. You could watch a two hour show in 40-odd minutes and not know how bad the commentary was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm thankful for DVR and the fast forward button as I'm able to either skip things entirely or watch them at a slightly faster speed.  That and the occasional beer if I'm in for the long haul.  But it's going to be interesting to see how things are starting tonight.  Right now it's the calm before the storm.

This. I more or less don't really even start watching many a shows wrestling or otherwise until I have at least 15-30 minutes on the DVR. Gives me time to do other shit like prepping/buying dinner first and lets me fast forward through commercials and bad/embarrassing shit

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EF5FrH3W4AA9_aI?format=jpg&name=large

Who needs sleep?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I dislike when I have a post I am proud of but it's almost the end of the month so here is something to chew on:

 

I have been working on a succinct definition of professional wrestling for years, but this is my work-in-progress list of thee three necessary elements of a pro rasslin match ---

A) worked moves

B) predetermined finish

C) presented to the audience as sports competition

Without#1, you have a fixed MMA match. Without #2, it's gymnastics. No #3 it is a play.

 

still pondering,

RAF

It still needs a bit of work. 

By that logic, I could argue that any fight in a movie about boxing or MMA could be considered a wrestling match- they have worked punches, a predetermined finish, and are presented as a sport vaguely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That's what we do during the show with Matt Taven as the world champ.

That's IF you live in a Sinclair provided area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...