Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Recommended Posts

Sucks for FS1 that they’re not important enough to get a WWE draft cameo. Maybe Cris Carter’s schedule isn’t right for Smackdown.

If ARod isn’t self-aware enough that he’s a heel in the eyes of some people, then the best heel option of all the Fox people is.. idk... maybe Jimmy Johnson has it in him.

theres also Michael Vick but we know they’d rather not mention why he could be booed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steve said:

Alternatively, can we give @HarryArchieGus the custom title 'WWE Castoff'🤪

Good one, @steve!  A bit or lot of a derail on the topic of ending this ridiculous term, but, oh well, here goes, curious what you think about the idea of a moratorium on the term 'WWE castoff'?    

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Open Question to the AEW people:

I have really only watched bits and pieces of the promotion.  What would you say makes it different from WWE products other than the talent?  Would you say there is a house style at this point?  Who steps outside of that style?

Thanks!

I’ll take a stab at this and say that the feeling of AEW is far more raw and exciting than the overproduced WWE stuff. Since everything is new there’s hitches and mistakes every now and then but that’s part of it, like watching early NXT evolve into what it is now. At the same time, Dynamite feels big, not because the crowds are bigger but because they’re hotter. People are engaged on a different level, I think partly because the spectre of VKM calling an audible isn’t hanging over everything.

I wouldn’t say there’s a singles in house style but the tag division is definitely PWG-esque. Lots of small flippy teams, although they do offset that with guys like Luchasaurus. If you’ve seen the Bucks or LAX over the last year or two you get the idea.

If you want to jump in the first episode of Dynamite pretty much runs the gamut of what to expect. Hope you like it!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Then why would the first pick matter?

Because all available options are in said hopper

I mean they used it before (though they still had authority figures taunting each other)

For example

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d hope any uses of hoppers were pretty much gimmicked. But then again, we once got Coal Miners Glove because they didn’t gimmick a wheel.

maybe use a hopper to determine who gets the next pick. But that might get boring if the same brand keeps getting picks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't John Cena get drafted from Raw to Smackdown and then back to Raw later in the same draft once? Because following that precedent, they could just trade Roman Reigns back and forth for three hours.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, it’s probably for the best that all the Fox News personalities kept their Kayfabe and none of them are aiding the WWE Draft. The Fox Nation commercials are enough, we don’t really need Sean Hannity Smackdown cameos. Even if Hannity is as much of a gimmick as any of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I’ll take a stab at this and say that the feeling of AEW is far more raw and exciting than the overproduced WWE stuff. Since everything is new there’s hitches and mistakes every now and then but that’s part of it, like watching early NXT evolve into what it is now. At the same time, Dynamite feels big, not because the crowds are bigger but because they’re hotter. People are engaged on a different level, I think partly because the spectre of VKM calling an audible isn’t hanging over everything.

I wouldn’t say there’s a singles in house style but the tag division is definitely PWG-esque. Lots of small flippy teams, although they do offset that with guys like Luchasaurus. If you’ve seen the Bucks or LAX over the last year or two you get the idea.

If you want to jump in the first episode of Dynamite pretty much runs the gamut of what to expect. Hope you like it!

This is a point that can’t be overlooked. Alvarez made the point about Riho vs Rose that the crowds willed this into being a great match with their reaction. AEW at this point has a huge level of goodwill that is well earned and the crowds are responding in kind by going batshit nuts with their reactions. AEW doesn’t make you feel stupid or like they hate you for watching their product and the crowds are responding in kind

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

theres also Michael Vick but we know they’d rather not mention why he could be booed.

I was surprised to see he had a job, then remembered it's American football and it's Fox and well go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, I was on Michael Irvin’s Wikipedia because I didn’t know which network he was working for.. and yeah... the NFL is a lot less prone to beating itself up than MLB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone on Wrestling twitter is tying themselves into knots right now.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want some degenerate to tell me how drawing 122,000 on TruTV ranks compared to the usual ratings for that network.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Treat the draft like those Dirty Santa office/family party games.  Someone pulls a name, next person has a chance to pull a name or steal from someone else (and then the person whose choice was taken gets to pick or steal but can't take back the name just stolen), one name can only trade hands three times then it stays where it's at.

At the end, everyone sings one round of the chorus of "Wish You A Merry Christmas" and someone has to wheelbarrow Uncle Junior to his pickup.

Edited by nate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"SENORS, HOY ES EL MEJOR DIA EN MI VIDA, BABY"

When and where was this?

This looks like it would've been a perfect XWF Invasion era WWC heel faction.

Edited by Edwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's from the new Hidden Gem, the WCW Festival of Lucha Pilot from 1999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The following Superstars will be available to draft tomorrow night on Friday Night Smackdown:
Becky Lynch, Roman Reigns, The O.C., Bray Wyatt, Drew McIntyre, Randy Orton, Sasha Banks, Ricochet, Braun Strowman, Bobby Lashley, Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross, Lacey Evans, The Viking Raiders, The Revival, Natalya, The Street Profits, Lucha House Party, Cesaro, Kevin Owens, Humberto Carrillo, Akira Tozawa, Sin Cara, Eric Young, EC3, Chad Gable, Heath Slater, Drew Gulak, The B-Team, and Tamina

The following Superstars will be available to draft this upcoming Monday on Raw:
Seth Rollins, Brock Lesnar, Charlotte Flair, Titus O’Neil, Shinsuke Nakamura (w/Sami Zayn), Aleister Black, The New Day, Daniel Bryan, Bayley, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan, The Miz, Ali, King Corbin, Elias, Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode, Samoa Joe, The Kabuki Warriors, Rusev, Cedric Alexander, Rey Mysterio, R-Truth, Carmella, AOP, Heavy Machinery, Apollo Crews, Andrade, Liv Morgan, Jinder Mahal, Buddy Murphy, Mojo Rawley, No Way Jose, Dana Brooke, Shelton Benjamin, Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder, The IIconics, Sarah Logan, Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville, and Drake Maverick


This is my main gripe with WWE these days, can anyone explain how any of this makes ANY sense? There is zero internal logic to anything anymore. It's all random with no rhyme or reason. So say Reigns wins and Smackdown gets the first pick. Well they can't draft either of the top champions... so who cares?? They aren't eligible to be drafted until Monday. Also, how are champions even eligible to be drafted at all? The Smackdown Tag Champs can be drafted to Raw and The Smackdown Tag Team Titles can theoretically be a Raw brand title? HOW? Of course every draft they run the same exact story where some champion gets drafted and the titles are uneven but that champion *just happens* to lose his title at the last minute to even things out. Happens every single time.

WWE has no pulse. There's no danger. It's the some boring illogical safe stuff over and over. This is my purgatory.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:


This is my main gripe with WWE these days, can anyone explain how any of this makes ANY sense? There is zero internal logic to anything anymore. It's all random with no rhyme or reason. So say Reigns wins and Smackdown gets the first pick. Well they can't draft either of the top champions... so who cares?? They aren't eligible to be drafted until Monday. Also, how are champions even eligible to be drafted at all? The Smackdown Tag Champs can be drafted to Raw and The Smackdown Tag Team Titles can theoretically be a Raw brand title? HOW? Of course every draft they run the same exact story where some champion gets drafted and the titles are uneven but that champion *just happens* to lose his title at the last minute to even things out. Happens every single time.

WWE has no pulse. There's no danger. It's the some boring illogical safe stuff over and over. This is my purgatory.

You could stop watching. I did and I can't tell you how much happier I am with AEW, New Japan, Impact, MLW, NWA, Beyond Wrestling, and other indies. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You could stop watching. I did and I can't tell you how much happier I am with AEW, New Japan, Impact, MLW, NWA, Beyond Wrestling, and other indies. 

That's a fair point. A break would probably do me some good. But it's a dirty dirty addiction and I just can't do it. I'm 35 and haven't taken a break at any point in life. If the dying days of AWA & WCW didn't push me away, nothing can lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this - Champions have always been eligible to be moved so that at least has precedent (since they frequently flipped the US and IC titles)

Of course that was before titles had specific brand names

If you ignore the champions - the rest of the list could be at least hand waved away as saying "due to the Wild Card rule, no one was on a specific brand so pools were determined at random"

But I have already spent more time on this then them

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for this to happen to everyone except Lesnar (Pick #1 to SDL), Rollins (Pick #2 to Raw) and Charlotte (Pick #3 to SDL) - 

https://www.wwe.com/videos/eric-bischoff-vince-russo-strip-the-champions-of-wcw-of-their-titles-nitro-april-10-2000

Becky will then have to go after Charlotte for the SDL title while Sasha and Bayley are put into a tournament for the vacant RAW title.

Edited by L_W_P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the champions, I believe in the past when a branded champ was drafted to the other brand, they still competed on the show they held the championship for, but once they lost it they were moved to the brand they were drafted to. I don't know if I'm making that up or if it's something that did actually happen at least once, but that's how I feel like I remember it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is Charissa Thompson = ratings.

#SettleDownPeck

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That's a fair point. A break would probably do me some good. But it's a dirty dirty addiction and I just can't do it. I'm 35 and haven't taken a break at any point in life. If the dying days of AWA & WCW didn't push me away, nothing can lol.

On my first ever WWE break now. Has made life much less stressful. AEW feeding my addiction. If they take the belt off Rollins I'd consider coming back, but until then...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...