DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

I tend to like everything on Tuesdays and Wednesdays now. With Tuesdays there's NWA Powerrr and AEW Dark. If I could find a somewhat legal way to watch Impact then I would watch that too, but I don't feel like torenting it or watching a shitty quality version of it on Dailymotion. Wednesdays gives me NXT and Dynamite. Out of them all, I love Dynamite the most, but NXT doesn't let me down. None of these 4 shows lets me down. The worst thing I could say is that I worry NWA Powerrr won't last long and may be too niche and while I think wrestling should be a little predictable, NXT is overly predictable. I at least watch all of this shit though. I can't even bring myself to watch all of Raw or SmackDown anymore. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What is with Saudi Arabia, and wrestlers taking bumps at an age when they should stop?

$$$$$$$$$$

Michaels came right out and said it, and I believe Foley has alluded to it. The money that they throw at them to work these Saudi shows is too ridiculous to turn down.

As far as why wrestlers never quit, I have always looked at it as a simple equation. The kind of folks that go into pro wrestling are broken in a way that has created a hole in them somewhere. That hole is filled by popping a crowd, or even just being in the spotlight for however long. That makes them complete for a few moments, then immediately recedes, so they need to keep going and going and going.

Obviously, I'm just trying to put my own understanding on a situation that I don't have any experience in, at least at that level. But having been in a thousand locker rooms on indie shows with "names", the vibe I got from talking to them is that the pro wres is the one constant in their lives that makes them feel valued as a human being. So why would they ever want to give that beautiful feeling up?

• Like 3

So Beyond Wrestling booked Shotzi Blackheart for Thursday's Uncharted Territory, but then she cancelled. Unfortunate, but these things happen. So as a make good, they booked Mance Warner vs Nick Gage (for the first time ever) and announced that for every ticket sold in the next couple of hours, they'd add a hundred (or possibly a thousand, can't remember) thumbtacks to the match. So, they sell some tickets, call up the office supply company and order a shitload of tacks, and they're told delivery is Friday morning at the earliest.

Some days, the gods just refuse to smile upon you no matter what.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Whodathunkit said:

Anyone else think that the doctor that cleared Ric Flair for the ring is a WWE employee named Malcolm Practice?

I think that doctor went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School too.

That said, I don't care if Flair wants to wrestle until he's 100. If that's what he wants to do in his old age and someone is going to let him, who am I to judge.

Edited by cwoy2j

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I think that doctor went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School too.

That said, I don't care if Flair wants to wrestle until he's 100. If that's what he wants to do in his old age and someone is going to let him, who am I to judge.

Remember when Daniel Bryan went to Dr. Andrews, Dr. Loomis, Dr. Pepper, and Pappa Shango for 3 years just to get cleared to perform? Flair gets one medical clearance, and he gets to take bumps on his hips again.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Where do you see fans of each show bashing the other show?

I bash WWE because it's a morally bankrupt company. Time will tell on AEW, but for the moment, they aren't doing things like running shows in conjunction with an oppressive regime - although AEW is going to Florida soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Is MJF injured? He hasn't wrestled for AEW since Dynamite episode 1 (in a very short match) and didn't work MLW's Mexico taping.

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is MJF injured? He hasn't wrestled for AEW since Dynamite episode 1 (in a very short match) and didn't work MLW's Mexico taping.

He actually worked a tag match against Los Parks down there, but that was all the way back on the fifth of the month.

I'm going to interpret this as smart people realizing the guy doesn't have it and transitioning him out of the ring:

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Never got to listen to that when it came out. I'm about an hour into it on Youtube and... well, fuck, what can I say. 

EDIT: Hey, what's a link/links to the best of the Moxley podcasts? 

After you listen to the Jericho/Moxley podcast, go back and watch the Dean Ambrose return doc on wwe network. Adds a whole different layer to what we assumed at the time was kayfabed frustration w his position in the company.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Are you only talking about Natural era Dustin?

otherwise, Dustin wrestled big poppa pump in late era WCW.maybe rick too. 

I think late era WCW may be the only window. Did they run Rhodes/Windham vs The Steiners in Fall 92 before Rick and Scott left?