DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

53 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Also, this entire "Wednesday Night War" is silly. If you a fan of modern wrestling, I don't see why you wouldn't watch both of these shows. I see AEW fans bashing NXT and NXT fans bashing AEW as if either side would benefit from not having competition or as if they got paid to praise one and put down the other. You know you can be a fan and enjoy both, right? It's like football fans with the Messi and Cristiano debate -- no, I'm not saying NXT and AEW are GOAT candidates, but just enjoy both while you can. When it comes to the Messi and Cristiano debate, folks have begun to tone down the GOAT debate and have begun to enjoy them both as they know it's a special moment we're getting to live with a chance to watch 2 of the best ever at their peaks both play the game. Now if only NXT and AEW fans would begin to do the same...

Where do you see fans of each show bashing the other show?

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Everywhere. Here, social media, reddit, everywhere literally.

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Everywhere. Here, social media, reddit, everywhere literally.

Ok, where here have you seen this. Provide evidence of your claims. I couldn't give a shit less about what some dumbfuck on Reddit or Twitter has to say about either show. Here's the problem - when you make statements like the one you made and you're not the only one that makes them, it makes it look like you're referring to the community here, which to me is all that should matter.

Speaking to what some idiot users elsewhere have to say on here is weird because why should we care? It's outside of here. Also, stop paying attention to the stupid shit people say on social media. If @wwefanboi69420 wants to say that NXT rulez and AEW sucks or @cody4ever says AEW is the best and NXT should be buried, then who cares? Stop wondering why stupid people say stupid things.

• Like 4

I think if NXT wasn't a satellite product of WWE then you would see a lot more solidarity being thrown around rather than dissenting views. The WWE refugee section of AEW's fan base are bound to be louder than most with such critiques. It doesn't shock me that there is this us vs. them mentality instilled in some that have made the switch over. 

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ok, where here have you seen this. Provide evidence of your claims. I couldn't give a shit less about what some dumbfuck on Reddit or Twitter has to say about either show. Here's the problem - when you make statements like the one you made and you're not the only one that makes them, it makes it look like you're referring to the community here, which to me is all that should matter.

Speaking to what some idiot users elsewhere have to say on here is weird because why should we care? It's outside of here. Also, stop paying attention to the stupid shit people say on social media. If @wwefanboi69420 wants to say that NXT rulez and AEW sucks or @cody4ever says AEW is the best and NXT should be buried, then who cares? Stop wondering why stupid people say stupid things.

brb. Gonna go through look my Word documents with links to specific posts... ?

You frequent the board enough to know the type of posts I'm referring to. Let's not act like it's not a thing.

Edited by Edwin

Here's a hot take for y'all. Once I see the words "Reddit" or "Twitter" prefacing a quote I tend to pay about as much attention to the content thereof as I do when one of my cats tries to get dinner three hours early. I just ignore the noise. NXT does lots of things right that the main roster doesn't, Finn and Asuka going to NXT is hugely welcomed. AEW does 90% of their stuff right, sure, there are going to be some hiccups along the way, but we should remember that this is a company that simply didn't exist three years ago and is now putting on an entertaining product that is challenging a company that has had pretty much of a monoply in the USA for decades. That's pretty fucking commendable and I'm more than happy to ignore a few growing pains along the way.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Edwin said:

brb. Gonna go through look my Word documents with links to specific posts... ?

You frequent the board enough to know the type of posts I'm referring to. Let's not act like it's not a thing.

You also frequent the board enough to at least cite something. Hell, you're constantly posting in the NXT threads.

The fact of the matter is this: What is there from folks are people saying AEW isn't their cup of tea and they prefer NXT, NXT still has the same shit with TUE/Gargano/Ciampa at the top (something I have zero complaints with since I like all of them), or both shows are great on a weekly basis and we wish viewership reflected the quality of those shows. I can't recall an instance of someone picking sides like it's an actual war between the shows. I tend to believe we're better than that here. Yes, some people may say they prefer one over the other, but that's not the same as "bashing" the two shows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You also frequent the board enough to at least cite something. Hell, you're constantly posting in the NXT threads.

The fact of the matter is this: What is there from folks are people saying AEW isn't their cup of tea and they prefer NXT, NXT still has the same shit with TUE/Gargano/Ciampa at the top (something I have zero complaints with since I like all of them), or both shows are great on a weekly basis and we wish viewership reflected the quality of those shows. I can't recall an instance of someone picking sides like it's an actual war between the shows. I tend to believe we're better than that here. Yes, some people may say they prefer one over the other, but that's not the same as "bashing" the two shows.

Well said, Craig. Look, I prefer NJPW to anything offered in the US, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy NXT and AEW, it simply means that there is a wrestling show that I prefer over the other two. I don't recall anyone on here acting like there's a new Monday night war between the two shows. Both have really strong high points and both have some things that I could do without. If I never saw Gargano/Ciampa again it would be too soon. The nudge-nudge wink-wink shit that the Bucks are fond of gets old in a hurry. For two guys in their early twenties that sort of shit is excusable, but as far as I know, both guys are in their mid-thirties now. Give that shit a rest, the audience that followed you gets it, the new fans that you should be trying to draw may not and it isn't important that they do, what IS important is that they tune back in next week and if you lose your audience because you can't control yourselves when it comes to making in-jokes and the like, you'll have no one to blame but yourselves when the plug gets pulled for lack of viewers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Ric Flair revealed that he's been medically cleared for physical action. Wooooooo!

Stupid fucker is hell-bent on dying in the ring, isn't he?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I tend to like everything on Tuesdays and Wednesdays now. With Tuesdays there's NWA Powerrr and AEW Dark. If I could find a somewhat legal way to watch Impact then I would watch that too, but I don't feel like torenting it or watching a shitty quality version of it on Dailymotion. Wednesdays gives me NXT and Dynamite. Out of them all, I love Dynamite the most, but NXT doesn't let me down. None of these 4 shows lets me down. The worst thing I could say is that I worry NWA Powerrr won't last long and may be too niche and while I think wrestling should be a little predictable, NXT is overly predictable. I at least watch all of this shit though. I can't even bring myself to watch all of Raw or SmackDown anymore. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What is with Saudi Arabia, and wrestlers taking bumps at an age when they should stop?

$$$$$$$$$$

Michaels came right out and said it, and I believe Foley has alluded to it. The money that they throw at them to work these Saudi shows is too ridiculous to turn down.

As far as why wrestlers never quit, I have always looked at it as a simple equation. The kind of folks that go into pro wrestling are broken in a way that has created a hole in them somewhere. That hole is filled by popping a crowd, or even just being in the spotlight for however long. That makes them complete for a few moments, then immediately recedes, so they need to keep going and going and going.

Obviously, I'm just trying to put my own understanding on a situation that I don't have any experience in, at least at that level. But having been in a thousand locker rooms on indie shows with "names", the vibe I got from talking to them is that the pro wres is the one constant in their lives that makes them feel valued as a human being. So why would they ever want to give that beautiful feeling up?

• Like 3

So Beyond Wrestling booked Shotzi Blackheart for Thursday's Uncharted Territory, but then she cancelled. Unfortunate, but these things happen. So as a make good, they booked Mance Warner vs Nick Gage (for the first time ever) and announced that for every ticket sold in the next couple of hours, they'd add a hundred (or possibly a thousand, can't remember) thumbtacks to the match. So, they sell some tickets, call up the office supply company and order a shitload of tacks, and they're told delivery is Friday morning at the earliest.

Some days, the gods just refuse to smile upon you no matter what.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Whodathunkit said:

Anyone else think that the doctor that cleared Ric Flair for the ring is a WWE employee named Malcolm Practice?

I think that doctor went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School too.

That said, I don't care if Flair wants to wrestle until he's 100. If that's what he wants to do in his old age and someone is going to let him, who am I to judge.

Edited by cwoy2j

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I think that doctor went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School too.

That said, I don't care if Flair wants to wrestle until he's 100. If that's what he wants to do in his old age and someone is going to let him, who am I to judge.

Remember when Daniel Bryan went to Dr. Andrews, Dr. Loomis, Dr. Pepper, and Pappa Shango for 3 years just to get cleared to perform? Flair gets one medical clearance, and he gets to take bumps on his hips again.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I bash WWE because it's a morally bankrupt company. Time will tell on AEW, but for the moment, they aren't doing things like running shows in conjunction with an oppressive regime - although AEW is going to Florida soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5