DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Oh, I'm definitely not endorsing the stockpiling, @Casey. You could take a couple talents they wouldn't miss, put them on Dynamite, and immediately make that women's division look way better than it does right now. And we'd all be happier for it. I'm just saying that winning an arms race before anyone else realized they were in one has had a clear effect on the quality of everyone's show. 

Even then, the "talents they wouldn't miss" may or may not be good enough to help the AEW women's division either. Let the record show that Britt Baker was seen as "YES! AEW locked up a top prospect before WWE could do it!" at the beginning of the year, and now she's been one of the most underwhelming performers in AEW so far...and the line on her by a lot of people is "she SHOULD jump to WWE to get some Performance Center reps". That'd be the same for a lot of the AEW women right now where there's potential, but they're clearly not ready for prime time...and adding some of the WWE/NXT women not ready for prime time wouldn't change things.

The women need a better agent. God bless Kenny, but he’s having them go out there to work complex 4 ways when they can’t. Impact shows you don’t need a performance center to show you can showcase the best women’s talent on the indies, so not having one is not an excuse for AEW.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Awesome Kong is an agent for the women's division, too.

Well both of them need to realize, as well as Khan that they need a seasoned vet working with each of these women on TV working singles matches. Riho is there, but she’s the champion. They need a vet working under her with those other ladies. They can’t just fly in Emi Sakura in for one show every once in awhile. Also they need dark(er) matches to get these green ass workers some mileage. Just don’t put it on YouTube. Also just plain do more with them. Paul Heyman built an entire company around guys like The Sandman, and Rocco Rock. That should’ve been a disaster, but it wasn’t. He found something underneath all that ugly, and created stars. You can’t just throw people out there with nothing.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

What they're likely to do, as we saw last night on this week's episode of Dark, is continue to put the green ass workers out there, but edit the hell out of the match so it's passable.

I'm not a huge fan of the women's division in AEW right now, but I'm willing to give that a pass right now since they're only on like Week 5 of TV or whatever. Now if they're still in this hole a few months down the line, there's a real problem. I hate to even bring up her name because it invokes some really weird responses from people in relation to what might have happened, but Kylie Rae leaving obviously made them scrap their plans for the division. Everything you see Britt Baker doing, you can see it was planned for Kylie. Britt/Bea was just them turning an "accident" into a storyline, but stuff like Britt being the #1 contender, facing Riho, losing, going back down the rankings, etc. That's stuff that was so obviously planned for a plucky underdog babyface like Kylie. I'll go a step further and say if Kylie would have stuck around, Riho wouldn't be the champion (or Nyla would be, and Kylie would be the one chasing her).

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm not a huge fan of the women's division in AEW right now, but I'm willing to give that a pass right now since they're only on like Week 5 of TV or whatever. 

That’s true, and they’ve been very tactful about it on TV(Streaming they’ve been way less so). They still need a to firm grasp about what they’ll do after Full Gear. The fact that it’s Emi Sakura Vs. Riho at the PPV screams “We don’t trust Britt, and Riho to not die on live PPV”. 

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s true, and they’ve been very tactful about it on TV(Streaming they’ve been way less so). They still need a to firm grasp about what they’ll do after Full Gear. The fact that it’s Emi Sakura Vs. Riho at the PPV screams “We don’t trust Britt, and Riho to not die on live PPV”. 

I haven't seen Dark yet so if that's really happening then I can't wait to see this live.

We should continue this in the AEW thread. But I’m also going to add, is if you are building up a feud between Britt & Bea because she doesn’t get along with anybody in the locker room, then bring it up more on BTE, Twitter, Dark, and Dynamite. Right now it’s all hearsay. Also get Sadie Gibbs into it, since she’s a bit apart of this too.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I'm happy to see Weds return as wrestling night at the Pelan household. As far as WWE, I love Asuka and Finn Balor, but I can''t be asked to sit through hours of crap in order to watch them get in a five minute match every couple of weeks. I'm not 100% on AEW's roster, but as a whole they do something that hasn't happened since WCW, they do stuff to surprise me! The WWE booking is so stale that if you tell me who is on hand for TV, I can easily tell you who will be in the matches and hit about 75% on the finishes. AEW manages to roll out stuff where I look at the wife and say "I did not see that coming!". Good on 'em for this!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

AEW manages to roll out stuff where I look at the wife and say "I did not see that coming!". Good on 'em for this!

I don’t ask this to be argumentative, I ask as someone who turned off AEW half way into week two but really wants to get into it...in what ways has AEW been able to surprise you?

I haven't watched wrestling TV regularly in years -- pretty much since I discovered Japanese pro-wrestling, indy pro-wrestling through tape trading and began watching the local WWC and IWA Puerto Rican wrestling and Promo Azteca on TV back in the late 90's and when I began growing interest in other things that weren't wrestling. I never thought WWE sucked or anything and always went to their live shows when the opportunity presented itself which was rare, but I just found something that was more appealing to me personally, it was less time consuming as it wasn't something I actively felt I had to follow week in, week out to keep up with and because there was more than enough footage out there from Japan and from the indys I hadn't seen. Now there's more footage that I've never seen than before, so now I watch even less wrestling TV. I'll catch an episode of NXT here and there, but it's not something I'll go out of my way to see and if I miss it, I just miss and that's it. I do enjoy going to Full Sail every so often and attending the tapings as I do have a good time watching wrestling live regardless.

At home, we still keep our WWE subscription because we'll put on the PPVs as background noise for the most part on Sunday nights, to watch the TakeOver's which is what we really like and because sometimes I want to revisit some old PPVs I saw as a kid, to watch some documentaries with my wife or to watch footage from territories I never got a chance to see. Also, I don't like jumping through extensive loop holes to watch pirated stuff and prefer paying and doing things legally, but that's just me.

I'm not a massive fan of current pro-wrestling, but I do still like a handful of folks who I try to watch as much of wherever they show up and I follow wXw, but even then, if I gave up entirely on modern pro-wrestling, there's still enough older footage out there for me to watch.

Also, this entire "Wednesday Night War" is silly. If you a fan of modern wrestling, I don't see why you wouldn't watch both of these shows. I see AEW fans bashing NXT and NXT fans bashing AEW as if either side would benefit from not having competition or as if they got paid to praise one and put down the other. You know you can be a fan and enjoy both, right? It's like football fans with the Messi and Cristiano debate -- no, I'm not saying NXT and AEW are GOAT candidates, but just enjoy both while you can. When it comes to the Messi and Cristiano debate, folks have begun to tone down the GOAT debate and have begun to enjoy them both as they know it's a special moment we're getting to live with a chance to watch 2 of the best ever at their peaks both play the game. Now if only NXT and AEW fans would begin to do the same...

Personally, as I mentioned before, I'm not big on modern pro-wrestling, but I'm sure if I was, I'd be thrilled to have this much wrestling on TV.

46 minutes ago, Uncle Coaster said:

I don’t ask this to be argumentative, I ask as someone who turned off AEW half way into week two but really wants to get into it...in what ways has AEW been able to surprise you?

Matches are structured in a more improvised manner. I guess you can call that “Indie style”. I get my enjoyment out it from the higher paced nature of most wrestling programs today. Dynamite yet doesn’t have many cool down periods during episodes. It goes action, action, and action.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Also, this entire "Wednesday Night War" is silly. If you a fan of modern wrestling, I don't see why you wouldn't watch both of these shows. I see AEW fans bashing NXT and NXT fans bashing AEW as if either side would benefit from not having competition or as if they got paid to praise one and put down the other. You know you can be a fan and enjoy both, right? It's like football fans with the Messi and Cristiano debate -- no, I'm not saying NXT and AEW are GOAT candidates, but just enjoy both while you can. When it comes to the Messi and Cristiano debate, folks have begun to tone down the GOAT debate and have begun to enjoy them both as they know it's a special moment we're getting to live with a chance to watch 2 of the best ever at their peaks both play the game. Now if only NXT and AEW fans would begin to do the same...

Where do you see fans of each show bashing the other show?

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Where do you see fans of each show bashing the other show?

Everywhere. Here, social media, reddit, everywhere literally.

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Everywhere. Here, social media, reddit, everywhere literally.

Ok, where here have you seen this. Provide evidence of your claims. I couldn't give a shit less about what some dumbfuck on Reddit or Twitter has to say about either show. Here's the problem - when you make statements like the one you made and you're not the only one that makes them, it makes it look like you're referring to the community here, which to me is all that should matter.

Speaking to what some idiot users elsewhere have to say on here is weird because why should we care? It's outside of here. Also, stop paying attention to the stupid shit people say on social media. If @wwefanboi69420 wants to say that NXT rulez and AEW sucks or @cody4ever says AEW is the best and NXT should be buried, then who cares? Stop wondering why stupid people say stupid things.

• Like 4

I think if NXT wasn't a satellite product of WWE then you would see a lot more solidarity being thrown around rather than dissenting views. The WWE refugee section of AEW's fan base are bound to be louder than most with such critiques. It doesn't shock me that there is this us vs. them mentality instilled in some that have made the switch over. 

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ok, where here have you seen this. Provide evidence of your claims. I couldn't give a shit less about what some dumbfuck on Reddit or Twitter has to say about either show. Here's the problem - when you make statements like the one you made and you're not the only one that makes them, it makes it look like you're referring to the community here, which to me is all that should matter.

Speaking to what some idiot users elsewhere have to say on here is weird because why should we care? It's outside of here. Also, stop paying attention to the stupid shit people say on social media. If @wwefanboi69420 wants to say that NXT rulez and AEW sucks or @cody4ever says AEW is the best and NXT should be buried, then who cares? Stop wondering why stupid people say stupid things.

brb. Gonna go through look my Word documents with links to specific posts... ?

You frequent the board enough to know the type of posts I'm referring to. Let's not act like it's not a thing.

Edited by Edwin

Here's a hot take for y'all. Once I see the words "Reddit" or "Twitter" prefacing a quote I tend to pay about as much attention to the content thereof as I do when one of my cats tries to get dinner three hours early. I just ignore the noise. NXT does lots of things right that the main roster doesn't, Finn and Asuka going to NXT is hugely welcomed. AEW does 90% of their stuff right, sure, there are going to be some hiccups along the way, but we should remember that this is a company that simply didn't exist three years ago and is now putting on an entertaining product that is challenging a company that has had pretty much of a monoply in the USA for decades. That's pretty fucking commendable and I'm more than happy to ignore a few growing pains along the way.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Edwin said:

brb. Gonna go through look my Word documents with links to specific posts... ?

You frequent the board enough to know the type of posts I'm referring to. Let's not act like it's not a thing.

You also frequent the board enough to at least cite something. Hell, you're constantly posting in the NXT threads.

The fact of the matter is this: What is there from folks are people saying AEW isn't their cup of tea and they prefer NXT, NXT still has the same shit with TUE/Gargano/Ciampa at the top (something I have zero complaints with since I like all of them), or both shows are great on a weekly basis and we wish viewership reflected the quality of those shows. I can't recall an instance of someone picking sides like it's an actual war between the shows. I tend to believe we're better than that here. Yes, some people may say they prefer one over the other, but that's not the same as "bashing" the two shows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You also frequent the board enough to at least cite something. Hell, you're constantly posting in the NXT threads.

The fact of the matter is this: What is there from folks are people saying AEW isn't their cup of tea and they prefer NXT, NXT still has the same shit with TUE/Gargano/Ciampa at the top (something I have zero complaints with since I like all of them), or both shows are great on a weekly basis and we wish viewership reflected the quality of those shows. I can't recall an instance of someone picking sides like it's an actual war between the shows. I tend to believe we're better than that here. Yes, some people may say they prefer one over the other, but that's not the same as "bashing" the two shows.

Well said, Craig. Look, I prefer NJPW to anything offered in the US, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy NXT and AEW, it simply means that there is a wrestling show that I prefer over the other two. I don't recall anyone on here acting like there's a new Monday night war between the two shows. Both have really strong high points and both have some things that I could do without. If I never saw Gargano/Ciampa again it would be too soon. The nudge-nudge wink-wink shit that the Bucks are fond of gets old in a hurry. For two guys in their early twenties that sort of shit is excusable, but as far as I know, both guys are in their mid-thirties now. Give that shit a rest, the audience that followed you gets it, the new fans that you should be trying to draw may not and it isn't important that they do, what IS important is that they tune back in next week and if you lose your audience because you can't control yourselves when it comes to making in-jokes and the like, you'll have no one to blame but yourselves when the plug gets pulled for lack of viewers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Ric Flair revealed that he's been medically cleared for physical action. Wooooooo!

Stupid fucker is hell-bent on dying in the ring, isn't he?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1