DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Dude's way into fucking in the kitchen.  Don't kink shame.

That way his wife can make him a sandwich that much more quickly while he wipes his junk on the dish towels.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

God damn.  All this is crazy.  We were asked to participate in the whole Neilsen thing maybe 15 years ago and all we got was a cheap-ass paper diary to fill out.

Same here. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

If you've got cable, rest assured that your cable box is telling your cable provider everything that you watch, when and for how long you watch it, everything you record and everything you watch On Demand. Also everything you record that is deleted unwatched when your capacity gets full. Especially if that happens with the same Movie more than once. 

At least in the U.S. I'm pretty sure that they legally aren't supposed to be doing so. I mean, it certainly wouldn't be the only incident of a media company violating laws on consumer privacy, so it certainly doesn't mean they aren't, but...

• Like 1

My comments regarding cancelling the WWE Network after six years, on the basis of how good last week's episode of AEW Dynamite appears to have drawn some mirth from you all and I have subsequently been branded an anti-WWE sort.

Well, I'm here to tell you that's certainly not the case, I have until November 2 before my subscription ends, and I look forward to engaging with you all during the recap thread of WWE Crown Jewel.

We're all watching that one yeah?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

From what I understand, a lot of this is still the same today and it's bananas that ad and tv companies rely on such shoddy technology and practices to determine who is watching what and when. The even crazier thing is that no one else has come forward with a better method of doing the shit or at least ad and tv companies aren't interested in those other methods. They'd rather stick with shitty ass Nielsen.

Nielsen struck a deal with DirecTV and I don't know if it is every market but at least in mine, if you have a DirecTV box, you are a Nielsen viewer.  Our sample size went from 450 households to 100,000.  I get the ratings every day and you guys won't like this, but the numbers we get have barely changed.  And that's with 200 TIMES more data.  What little change there was was to my station's benefit at least, but we are talking less than half a point.  And that's all total viewers, not demos.

Shit on their methods, Nielsen actually has the "statistics" shit down.

And I will say, it is fucking insane how little a Nielsen viewer gets paid for their time and trouble.  But I guess they fixed that, because it looks like no one is about to get paid but DirecTV now...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

My comments regarding cancelling the WWE Network after six years, on the basis of how good last week's episode of AEW Dynamite appears to have drawn some mirth from you all and I have subsequently been branded an anti-WWE sort.

I'd like to clarify my stance, just in case this is in part a response to my Shawshank crack a few pages back: I didn't have anyone particular in mind when I made that comment. Just a general remark about how liberated fans in general seem to express themselves as when they cancel their subscription. 

Hope you have nothing against mirth. It's the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cancelled my subscription to the Network before AEW even ran a show. Yeah, I was way more excited about that company than WWE, but the main factor was that I just didn't use the Network enough to justify $9.99 a month. I like the original content like Photoshoot, Ride Along, 24, etc. but, for one thing, I work weekends, so I'm never around to watch the PPVs anymore. I don't really have a desire to watch old episodes of Raw, or Nitro, or whatever.

Another thing that REALLY soured me on WWE was the Saudi Arabia deal. WWE keeps Sami Zayn off those shows out of respect for their local culture, because he's a Syrian. It took them how many shows to finally agree to ONE women's match? I doubt we'll ever see someone like Sonya Deville on those shows in the future if women's matches become a reoccurring thing, too. Then you have shady business practices like the Jordan Myles stuff, and Casey from SquaredCircleSirens recently tweeted out that he's heard from multiple people in NXT that they haven't gotten the raises they were promised once they went to the USA Network. Adding time onto talent's contracts because of injuries, not letting unhappy workers go ply their craft elsewhere. I get that you don't want to have a potential Steve Austin/WCW situation, since it'd make them look foolish if Mike Kanellis or Luke Harper went elsewhere and became a megastar - unlikely, but still.

I was thinking about this earlier today, but I really can't remember the last time I was genuinely looking forward to RAW or Smackdown each week like I do with Dynamite. Maybe it's recency bias and that'll wear off, but I look forward to that show every week (and Dark).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There was that masochistic cycle in 2013/14 with the D-Bry stuff where we kept tuning in each week to finally see them do the right thing only to be disappointed until the dam broke.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 5

Also to be clear, I'm not being critical of anyone's choice to cancel their Network subscription. For a variety of reasons, I'm getting there myself at this point. I just like a good laugh about the way people all over social media feel genuinely liberated in doing so, especially since Dynamite started up. But there are many good reasons to cancel your subscription, not that anyone need justify that choice. Go wild, I say. I'm sure I'll be there with you sooner rather than later.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

That reminds me of the first thing that planted anti-WWE thoughts into my head - the CM Punk podcast that Colt Cabana did in 2014. That was a brutal listen - worse than the post-WWE Moxley podcasts, but on the same level.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

I was thinking about this earlier today, but I really can't remember the last time I was genuinely looking forward to RAW or Smackdown each week like I do with Dynamite. Maybe it's recency bias and that'll wear off, but I look forward to that show every week (and Dark).

I'll go one further with this. And in doing so, I'll invoke something Cornette expressed on his latest review on the Wednesday war. I know people don't care for his take on modern stuff, but he found a backhanded way to a pretty salient point that crystallized the issue for me.

It's not just Raw and SmackDown -- I look forward to Dynamite more than NXT. And even Cornette watches AEW first in spite of preferring NXT, because who knows what might happen on Dynamite (now imagine the rudest possible way he may have said that...). NXT will put on a show I know I'll prefer (for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the depth of the roster), but it'll be predictably solid and I can catch up on it whenever. In contrast, AEW feels like appointment viewing. It's where the heat is. That's exciting, and I hope they can sustain that feeling.

It's interesting to think about what originally drove the value of Network subscriptions: The low cost of viewing the PPVs. A few years later, they've put themselves in a position where I barely watch them. It's kind of incredible how quickly they've managed to piss away the appeal of that kind of value. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Matches are way less predictable and cookie cutterish in AEW as well. You know you're going to see too much and too many flipz buuuut matches feel different because they can be. Cornette has that saying about how everything is sanitized, and while AEW is to an extent, it comes off as fresh and wild in comparison to what we've watched for the past 15 or so years. 

• Like 2

Each side definitely has its drawbacks. NXT matches are clearly coloured by what WWE coaches into its talent, but those fundamentals are there and they benefit greatly from hoarding talent the last few years. Meanwhile, AEW has it's own problems with excess, but the looseness makes it feel more exciting than the comparable excess of a Gargano match. 

• Like 1

I get why WWE stockpiles talent, I really do. But it doesn't mean I have to like it or anything. Someone like Deonna Purrazzo is just wasting away on the Florida PC house show loops, while fuckin' Taynara Conti is getting TV time. I'm sure there are a dozen more examples on the men's side of things. It made sense, at one point, to have all of this talent in your back pocket, for when roster space in NXT becomes available due to people moving to the main roster. But that doesn't happen now since AEW is on TV - instead, you have people from the main roster coming back to NXT. And god knows how much of a theatrical shitshow Balor/Gargano is going to be compared to his matches with Adam Cole. Good god.

I was really pumped for the Smackdown time change. Means it aired Saturday morning live here in Australia. 

Watched the first ep and maybe ten minutes the week after and found better things to watch instead (...OK I watched Powerpuff Girls with my 2 yo).

Then realised that I freaked out how much I paid for League Pass I barely watched last year, and how I couldn't justify the cost of Gamepass but in terms of the Network, I've watched Summerslam, the first UK takeover, a Table for 3 and a series of yokozuna squashes when I couldn't sleep at 4am a few weeks ago. Just doesn't make sense.

I'm not WWEs target audience (who actually tunes in most aside) and I'm OK with that. If my daughter gets into it, I'll watch too I hope. In the interim, this show does it for me.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm definitely not endorsing the stockpiling, @Casey. You could take a couple talents they wouldn't miss, put them on Dynamite, and immediately make that women's division look way better than it does right now. And we'd all be happier for it. I'm just saying that winning an arms race before anyone else realized they were in one has had a clear effect on the quality of everyone's show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

That reminds me of the first thing that planted anti-WWE thoughts into my head - the CM Punk podcast that Colt Cabana did in 2014. That was a brutal listen - worse than the post-WWE Moxley podcasts, but on the same level.

Never got to listen to that when it came out. I'm about an hour into it on Youtube and... well, fuck, what can I say. 

EDIT: Hey, what's a link/links to the best of the Moxley podcasts? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I cancelled my network sub when I got tired of them taking their sweet time uploading WCW Saturday Night, and I found other ways to watch it. I did comeback for a bit when they uploaded the complete unaired raw Great American Bash footage, but I cancelled my network soon after.

While it was fun watching Nitro up to a certain point, I’ve already re-went through the best years of that show. Going further into 98 gets more boring, and depressing. 90’s WWF is a chore to sit through again, but Prime Time from the 80’s is legit fun to watch Gorilla & Bobby riff for however long they were in the studio to film several episodes of it. But those too just weren’t uploading fast enough.

Is it more than not uploading those programs? Sure... I’m not a big fan of them trying to butt-in on overseas territories. I’m not a big fan of them taking their foot off the peddle after WCW fell, and putting the major wrestling industry on cruise control. I see that here, and I don’t want to see it overseas as they Ringling Bros. their ass through every country. Is my personal boycott minuscule in the grand scheme of things? Perhaps, but it feels like self help meditation when I don’t turn on USA at 8, and instead making it a Gundam night.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Well, I'm here to tell you that's certainly not the case, I have until November 2 before my subscription ends, and I look forward to engaging with you all during the recap thread of WWE Crown Jewel.

We're all watching that one yeah?

The Saudi shows are actually the one thing I refuse to watch.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I get why WWE stockpiles talent, I really do. But it doesn't mean I have to like it or anything. Someone like Deonna Purrazzo is just wasting away on the Florida PC house show loops, while fuckin' Taynara Conti is getting TV time. 

Unless Deonna had some great feuds on the indies she has shown herself to be less tv ready than Conti. She is horribly bland most of the time, both as a character and in the ring.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Never got to listen to that when it came out. I'm about an hour into it on Youtube and... well, fuck, what can I say. 

Talk Is Jericho with Moxley is probably what you want to listen to first. I'm pretty sure the Wade Keller one goes into more detail, but the Jericho pod was the first one I'm pretty sure? It's not as sickening or gross negligence as the Punk one, Moxley's comments are more about creative and how flat out DUMB the company is at times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I rarely listen to podcasts but the Talk is Jericho one with Jon Moxley is a must listen. Everyone was talking about it when it came out this year.

• Like 1