DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Matches are way less predictable and cookie cutterish in AEW as well. You know you're going to see too much and too many flipz buuuut matches feel different because they can be. Cornette has that saying about how everything is sanitized, and while AEW is to an extent, it comes off as fresh and wild in comparison to what we've watched for the past 15 or so years. 

• Like 2

Each side definitely has its drawbacks. NXT matches are clearly coloured by what WWE coaches into its talent, but those fundamentals are there and they benefit greatly from hoarding talent the last few years. Meanwhile, AEW has it's own problems with excess, but the looseness makes it feel more exciting than the comparable excess of a Gargano match. 

• Like 1

I get why WWE stockpiles talent, I really do. But it doesn't mean I have to like it or anything. Someone like Deonna Purrazzo is just wasting away on the Florida PC house show loops, while fuckin' Taynara Conti is getting TV time. I'm sure there are a dozen more examples on the men's side of things. It made sense, at one point, to have all of this talent in your back pocket, for when roster space in NXT becomes available due to people moving to the main roster. But that doesn't happen now since AEW is on TV - instead, you have people from the main roster coming back to NXT. And god knows how much of a theatrical shitshow Balor/Gargano is going to be compared to his matches with Adam Cole. Good god.

I was really pumped for the Smackdown time change. Means it aired Saturday morning live here in Australia. 

Watched the first ep and maybe ten minutes the week after and found better things to watch instead (...OK I watched Powerpuff Girls with my 2 yo).

Then realised that I freaked out how much I paid for League Pass I barely watched last year, and how I couldn't justify the cost of Gamepass but in terms of the Network, I've watched Summerslam, the first UK takeover, a Table for 3 and a series of yokozuna squashes when I couldn't sleep at 4am a few weeks ago. Just doesn't make sense.

I'm not WWEs target audience (who actually tunes in most aside) and I'm OK with that. If my daughter gets into it, I'll watch too I hope. In the interim, this show does it for me.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm definitely not endorsing the stockpiling, @Casey. You could take a couple talents they wouldn't miss, put them on Dynamite, and immediately make that women's division look way better than it does right now. And we'd all be happier for it. I'm just saying that winning an arms race before anyone else realized they were in one has had a clear effect on the quality of everyone's show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

That reminds me of the first thing that planted anti-WWE thoughts into my head - the CM Punk podcast that Colt Cabana did in 2014. That was a brutal listen - worse than the post-WWE Moxley podcasts, but on the same level.

Never got to listen to that when it came out. I'm about an hour into it on Youtube and... well, fuck, what can I say. 

EDIT: Hey, what's a link/links to the best of the Moxley podcasts? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I cancelled my network sub when I got tired of them taking their sweet time uploading WCW Saturday Night, and I found other ways to watch it. I did comeback for a bit when they uploaded the complete unaired raw Great American Bash footage, but I cancelled my network soon after.

While it was fun watching Nitro up to a certain point, I’ve already re-went through the best years of that show. Going further into 98 gets more boring, and depressing. 90’s WWF is a chore to sit through again, but Prime Time from the 80’s is legit fun to watch Gorilla & Bobby riff for however long they were in the studio to film several episodes of it. But those too just weren’t uploading fast enough.

Is it more than not uploading those programs? Sure... I’m not a big fan of them trying to butt-in on overseas territories. I’m not a big fan of them taking their foot off the peddle after WCW fell, and putting the major wrestling industry on cruise control. I see that here, and I don’t want to see it overseas as they Ringling Bros. their ass through every country. Is my personal boycott minuscule in the grand scheme of things? Perhaps, but it feels like self help meditation when I don’t turn on USA at 8, and instead making it a Gundam night.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Well, I'm here to tell you that's certainly not the case, I have until November 2 before my subscription ends, and I look forward to engaging with you all during the recap thread of WWE Crown Jewel.

We're all watching that one yeah?

The Saudi shows are actually the one thing I refuse to watch.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I get why WWE stockpiles talent, I really do. But it doesn't mean I have to like it or anything. Someone like Deonna Purrazzo is just wasting away on the Florida PC house show loops, while fuckin' Taynara Conti is getting TV time. 

Unless Deonna had some great feuds on the indies she has shown herself to be less tv ready than Conti. She is horribly bland most of the time, both as a character and in the ring.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Never got to listen to that when it came out. I'm about an hour into it on Youtube and... well, fuck, what can I say. 

Talk Is Jericho with Moxley is probably what you want to listen to first. I'm pretty sure the Wade Keller one goes into more detail, but the Jericho pod was the first one I'm pretty sure? It's not as sickening or gross negligence as the Punk one, Moxley's comments are more about creative and how flat out DUMB the company is at times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I rarely listen to podcasts but the Talk is Jericho one with Jon Moxley is a must listen. Everyone was talking about it when it came out this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Oh, I'm definitely not endorsing the stockpiling, @Casey. You could take a couple talents they wouldn't miss, put them on Dynamite, and immediately make that women's division look way better than it does right now. And we'd all be happier for it. I'm just saying that winning an arms race before anyone else realized they were in one has had a clear effect on the quality of everyone's show. 

Even then, the "talents they wouldn't miss" may or may not be good enough to help the AEW women's division either. Let the record show that Britt Baker was seen as "YES! AEW locked up a top prospect before WWE could do it!" at the beginning of the year, and now she's been one of the most underwhelming performers in AEW so far...and the line on her by a lot of people is "she SHOULD jump to WWE to get some Performance Center reps". That'd be the same for a lot of the AEW women right now where there's potential, but they're clearly not ready for prime time...and adding some of the WWE/NXT women not ready for prime time wouldn't change things.

The women need a better agent. God bless Kenny, but he’s having them go out there to work complex 4 ways when they can’t. Impact shows you don’t need a performance center to show you can showcase the best women’s talent on the indies, so not having one is not an excuse for AEW.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Awesome Kong is an agent for the women's division, too.

Well both of them need to realize, as well as Khan that they need a seasoned vet working with each of these women on TV working singles matches. Riho is there, but she’s the champion. They need a vet working under her with those other ladies. They can’t just fly in Emi Sakura in for one show every once in awhile. Also they need dark(er) matches to get these green ass workers some mileage. Just don’t put it on YouTube. Also just plain do more with them. Paul Heyman built an entire company around guys like The Sandman, and Rocco Rock. That should’ve been a disaster, but it wasn’t. He found something underneath all that ugly, and created stars. You can’t just throw people out there with nothing.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

What they're likely to do, as we saw last night on this week's episode of Dark, is continue to put the green ass workers out there, but edit the hell out of the match so it's passable.

I'm not a huge fan of the women's division in AEW right now, but I'm willing to give that a pass right now since they're only on like Week 5 of TV or whatever. Now if they're still in this hole a few months down the line, there's a real problem. I hate to even bring up her name because it invokes some really weird responses from people in relation to what might have happened, but Kylie Rae leaving obviously made them scrap their plans for the division. Everything you see Britt Baker doing, you can see it was planned for Kylie. Britt/Bea was just them turning an "accident" into a storyline, but stuff like Britt being the #1 contender, facing Riho, losing, going back down the rankings, etc. That's stuff that was so obviously planned for a plucky underdog babyface like Kylie. I'll go a step further and say if Kylie would have stuck around, Riho wouldn't be the champion (or Nyla would be, and Kylie would be the one chasing her).

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm not a huge fan of the women's division in AEW right now, but I'm willing to give that a pass right now since they're only on like Week 5 of TV or whatever. 

That’s true, and they’ve been very tactful about it on TV(Streaming they’ve been way less so). They still need a to firm grasp about what they’ll do after Full Gear. The fact that it’s Emi Sakura Vs. Riho at the PPV screams “We don’t trust Britt, and Riho to not die on live PPV”. 

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s true, and they’ve been very tactful about it on TV(Streaming they’ve been way less so). They still need a to firm grasp about what they’ll do after Full Gear. The fact that it’s Emi Sakura Vs. Riho at the PPV screams “We don’t trust Britt, and Riho to not die on live PPV”. 

I haven't seen Dark yet so if that's really happening then I can't wait to see this live.

We should continue this in the AEW thread. But I’m also going to add, is if you are building up a feud between Britt & Bea because she doesn’t get along with anybody in the locker room, then bring it up more on BTE, Twitter, Dark, and Dynamite. Right now it’s all hearsay. Also get Sadie Gibbs into it, since she’s a bit apart of this too.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I'm happy to see Weds return as wrestling night at the Pelan household. As far as WWE, I love Asuka and Finn Balor, but I can''t be asked to sit through hours of crap in order to watch them get in a five minute match every couple of weeks. I'm not 100% on AEW's roster, but as a whole they do something that hasn't happened since WCW, they do stuff to surprise me! The WWE booking is so stale that if you tell me who is on hand for TV, I can easily tell you who will be in the matches and hit about 75% on the finishes. AEW manages to roll out stuff where I look at the wife and say "I did not see that coming!". Good on 'em for this!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

AEW manages to roll out stuff where I look at the wife and say "I did not see that coming!". Good on 'em for this!

I don’t ask this to be argumentative, I ask as someone who turned off AEW half way into week two but really wants to get into it...in what ways has AEW been able to surprise you?

I haven't watched wrestling TV regularly in years -- pretty much since I discovered Japanese pro-wrestling, indy pro-wrestling through tape trading and began watching the local WWC and IWA Puerto Rican wrestling and Promo Azteca on TV back in the late 90's and when I began growing interest in other things that weren't wrestling. I never thought WWE sucked or anything and always went to their live shows when the opportunity presented itself which was rare, but I just found something that was more appealing to me personally, it was less time consuming as it wasn't something I actively felt I had to follow week in, week out to keep up with and because there was more than enough footage out there from Japan and from the indys I hadn't seen. Now there's more footage that I've never seen than before, so now I watch even less wrestling TV. I'll catch an episode of NXT here and there, but it's not something I'll go out of my way to see and if I miss it, I just miss and that's it. I do enjoy going to Full Sail every so often and attending the tapings as I do have a good time watching wrestling live regardless.

At home, we still keep our WWE subscription because we'll put on the PPVs as background noise for the most part on Sunday nights, to watch the TakeOver's which is what we really like and because sometimes I want to revisit some old PPVs I saw as a kid, to watch some documentaries with my wife or to watch footage from territories I never got a chance to see. Also, I don't like jumping through extensive loop holes to watch pirated stuff and prefer paying and doing things legally, but that's just me.

I'm not a massive fan of current pro-wrestling, but I do still like a handful of folks who I try to watch as much of wherever they show up and I follow wXw, but even then, if I gave up entirely on modern pro-wrestling, there's still enough older footage out there for me to watch.

Also, this entire "Wednesday Night War" is silly. If you a fan of modern wrestling, I don't see why you wouldn't watch both of these shows. I see AEW fans bashing NXT and NXT fans bashing AEW as if either side would benefit from not having competition or as if they got paid to praise one and put down the other. You know you can be a fan and enjoy both, right? It's like football fans with the Messi and Cristiano debate -- no, I'm not saying NXT and AEW are GOAT candidates, but just enjoy both while you can. When it comes to the Messi and Cristiano debate, folks have begun to tone down the GOAT debate and have begun to enjoy them both as they know it's a special moment we're getting to live with a chance to watch 2 of the best ever at their peaks both play the game. Now if only NXT and AEW fans would begin to do the same...

Personally, as I mentioned before, I'm not big on modern pro-wrestling, but I'm sure if I was, I'd be thrilled to have this much wrestling on TV.

46 minutes ago, Uncle Coaster said:

I don’t ask this to be argumentative, I ask as someone who turned off AEW half way into week two but really wants to get into it...in what ways has AEW been able to surprise you?

Matches are structured in a more improvised manner. I guess you can call that “Indie style”. I get my enjoyment out it from the higher paced nature of most wrestling programs today. Dynamite yet doesn’t have many cool down periods during episodes. It goes action, action, and action.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1