DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:
  Hide contents

I believe a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back. That’s my personal belief.”

Dude's way into fucking in the kitchen.  Don't kink shame.

Arn Anderson agrees with Fury.

12 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even beyond the rivalry between companies, it isn;t even just "Twitter and Facebook" didn't exist in 1997...TiVo (and thus, DVRs) didn't exist in 1997 period. You had to choose- Raw or Nitro, knowing you're not going to get to see the other one (unless you had a picture-in-picture TV). 

Now, though, DVRs are commonplace. You don't have to choose AEW or NXT. Just DVR one and watch the other live. It's not some big battle for people. (Heck, it's surprising the DVR-adjusted ratings for AEW/NXT haven't been released and just the immediate numbers get cared about.) 

If you DVR it, you just FF through the commercial, so they are irrelevant for the TV channels. To the other point: I would assume most people had a VHS in the late 90ies so you could just tape the show you did not watch like with DVR.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even beyond the rivalry between companies, it isn;t even just "Twitter and Facebook" didn't exist in 1997...TiVo (and thus, DVRs) didn't exist in 1997 period. You had to choose- Raw or Nitro, knowing you're not going to get to see the other one (unless you had a picture-in-picture TV). 

Now, though, DVRs are commonplace. You don't have to choose AEW or NXT. Just DVR one and watch the other live. It's not some big battle for people. (Heck, it's surprising the DVR-adjusted ratings for AEW/NXT haven't been released and just the immediate numbers get cared about.) 

TNT aired a Nitro repeat at 11:00 PM (12:00 AM?).

We'd watch the first hour of Nitro, switch over to RAW as it started an hour later, then tape the Nitro repeat.

6 minutes ago, Robert s said:

If you DVR it, you just FF through the commercial, so they are irrelevant for the TV channels. To the other point: I would assume most people had a VHS in the late 90ies so you could just tape the show you did not watch like with DVR.

In the late '90s, you could have a VHS, but you had to have the TV on the right channel in order to tape the show you didn't watch...and if you were watching TV already, you couldn't tape a separate channel while watching TV or you'd merely tape what you're watching.

EDIT for @Edwin: Exactly- just like TNT does with AEW now at 10:00 pm. 

Edited by SorceressKnight

5 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

In the late '90s, you could have a VHS, but you had to have the TV on the right channel in order to tape the show you didn't watch...and if you were watching TV already, you couldn't tape a separate channel while watching TV or you'd merely tape what you're watching.

Hmm... okay, this was only the case over here (Austria) for satellites channels (i.e. the satellite receiver box had to be set to the correct channel), but not for terrestrial or cable television. I.e. you could watch one channel on terrestrial or cable television while taping any other channel (of course, you only had cable or satellite TV, but not both).

Edited by Robert s

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Today is TUESDAY.   So yes no more Smackdown but it's been replaced by two hours of AEW Dark and NWA Powerrr.   UPGRADE. 

Also OVW is apparently gonna stream their show out on Tuesday’s now.

And due to certain differences between America and Mexico in regards to DST, tonight’s CMLL is at 8:30 Central/9:30 Eastern. Last night Puebla was solidly in the 10pm-midnight slot in my timezone

57 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yes. 

What's worse about all this is that he hides behind depression and mental illness to try and get away with saying shit like this. For all the years I've struggled with depression, it sure hasn't made me a homophobic, transphobic, sexist piece of human garbage. 

Same here

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yes. 

What's worse about all this is that he hides behind depression and mental illness to try and get away with saying shit like this. For all the years I've struggled with depression, it sure hasn't made me a homophobic, transphobic, sexist piece of human garbage. 

Same here. I want to like this multiple times.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yes. 

Reminds me of Mel Gibson blaming alcoholism and going to rehab after that rant on that cop that pulled him over.  Yeah, I've been drunk many times and it never made me call a woman "sweet tits" or rail against the Jew Conspiracy.

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

EDIT for @Edwin: Exactly- just like TNT does with AEW now at 10:00 pm. 

Uh.....wut.

I had a VCR in the 90s.  If it was cable ready (most were), you just run the coax through it, then out to the TV.  You could tape anything regardless of what channel you were watching.  I would literally watch Raw, tape Nitro, then watch Nitro afterwards.  I mean, YMMV, maybe you lived in a place where the addressable cable box was a necessity but if you didn't need a box, you could just rig that shit up.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We used to be a Nielsen household 7 or 8 years ago. It was a gigantic pain in the ass. I've described the experience on here before, but I may as well do it again just so everyone knows how this shit works.

To start, you're randomly picked. Based on our demographics in the house, we were an ideal fit to be a Nielsen family. They then have a guy come out who literally tears apart all of your TVs, VCRs, DVD players, cable boxes, and stops short at video game systems. At least I don't remember them ever opening up my PS3 or Xbox 360 or Wii. I think those had a dongle attached to them. For the rest though, they install monitoring equipment that all connects to a "people meter" and a modem and all sorts of other shit.

After everything is hooked up and nothing is hopefully destroyed, you're free to watch TV, but when you do, you have to "log in" to the people meter box. The people meter is a small-ish cable box looking thing with a row of red lights on it and when you sit down to watch tv you have to select which user you are. If there's more than one of you watching tv then you each log in to the box. And then you go about watching tv...until the fucking thing starts flashing all of it's lights because you keep having to log back into the fucker every 20 minutes or something like that. At first it's not bad, but it becomes a pain in the ass. On top of that, half the time there were issues with the devices reporting their data back to Nielsen so you'd have to schedule time to be home for the technician to come out and check on things, which would probably take anywhere from an hour to 3 hours.

Then you go back to doing what you did before until the shit had problems again and then again the fucking technician would have to come out and tinker with everything. Also, if you weren't logging into the people meter box, you'd get called asking if everything was ok and to remind you to log in.

All the while you're getting paid an amount from the company that should be much larger than what it is for all of the inconveniences. I eventually got creeped out enough by being monitored and for how much of a hassle logging in was and all of that and wanted all of the shit removed from my house asap. 

THIS IS NOT REMOTELY A PRECISE WAY TO MONITOR WHAT PEOPLE ARE WATCHING

From what I understand, a lot of this is still the same today and it's bananas that ad and tv companies rely on such shoddy technology and practices to determine who is watching what and when. The even crazier thing is that no one else has come forward with a better method of doing the shit or at least ad and tv companies aren't interested in those other methods. They'd rather stick with shitty ass Nielsen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

who should both be hanged

One should always forgive one's enemies. Just not before they are hanged.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The even crazier thing is that no one else has come forward with a better method of doing the shit or at least ad and tv companies aren't interested in those other methods. They'd rather stick with shitty ass Nielsen.

If you've got cable, rest assured that your cable box is telling your cable provider everything that you watch, when and for how long you watch it, everything you record and everything you watch On Demand. Also everything you record that is deleted unwatched when your capacity gets full. Especially if that happens with the same Movie more than once. 

44 minutes ago, Craig H said:

We used to be a Nielsen household 7 or 8 years ago. It was a gigantic pain in the ass. I've described the experience on here before, but I may as well do it again just so everyone knows how this shit works.

To start, you're randomly picked. Based on our demographics in the house, we were an ideal fit to be a Nielsen family. They then have a guy come out who literally tears apart all of your TVs, VCRs, DVD players, cable boxes, and stops short at video game systems. At least I don't remember them ever opening up my PS3 or Xbox 360 or Wii. I think those had a dongle attached to them. For the rest though, they install monitoring equipment that all connects to a "people meter" and a modem and all sorts of other shit.

After everything is hooked up and nothing is hopefully destroyed, you're free to watch TV, but when you do, you have to "log in" to the people meter box. The people meter is a small-ish cable box looking thing with a row of red lights on it and when you sit down to watch tv you have to select which user you are. If there's more than one of you watching tv then you each log in to the box. And then you go about watching tv...until the fucking thing starts flashing all of it's lights because you keep having to log back into the fucker every 20 minutes or something like that. At first it's not bad, but it becomes a pain in the ass. On top of that, half the time there were issues with the devices reporting their data back to Nielsen so you'd have to schedule time to be home for the technician to come out and check on things, which would probably take anywhere from an hour to 3 hours.

Then you go back to doing what you did before until the shit had problems again and then again the fucking technician would have to come out and tinker with everything. Also, if you weren't logging into the people meter box, you'd get called asking if everything was ok and to remind you to log in.

All the while you're getting paid an amount from the company that should be much larger than what it is for all of the inconveniences. I eventually got creeped out enough by being monitored and for how much of a hassle logging in was and all of that and wanted all of the shit removed from my house asap. 

THIS IS NOT REMOTELY A PRECISE WAY TO MONITOR WHAT PEOPLE ARE WATCHING

From what I understand, a lot of this is still the same today and it's bananas that ad and tv companies rely on such shoddy technology and practices to determine who is watching what and when. The even crazier thing is that no one else has come forward with a better method of doing the shit or at least ad and tv companies aren't interested in those other methods. They'd rather stick with shitty ass Nielsen.

God damn.  All this is crazy.  We were asked to participate in the whole Neilsen thing maybe 15 years ago and all we got was a cheap-ass paper diary to fill out.

• Like 3

We were asked by Neilsen too about ten years ago. 

Side note:  I am watching less WWE right now than ever.  RAW has become background noise for the most part. Last night I spent more time watching/reading about WATCHMEN.  

I haven't seen Friday Night Smackdown in its entirety since they moved to Fridays.  I will DVR it but sometimes not bother watching.  

I haven't seen NXT in a couple weeks.  Even last week I heard it was good but haven't watched yet.   

I can't believe it's come to this but between movies and other television programs and streaming services and now AEW and NWA on every week...   they've nearly lost me. 

I won't be watching Crown Jewel.  

RAW is back in Hartford at the end of the year and I'm not going to that.  I haven't felt this way in about ten years. 

• Like 6