DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

7 hours ago, Custos said:

In all seriousness, I cannot believe how neurotic folks are getting about ratings and their preferred brand (not around here for the most part, in those other places...) Is it a reflection of increasingly fractured and tribalistic political environment? Or simply young'uns who have never had first-hand experience of competition at the top level of American professional wrestling?

Been thinking about this a fair bit too. I think because ‘the Monday night ratings war’ is such a big piece of the WWE success narrative that has been hammered into our heads for going on 20 years, and with so many fans now watching having never been around for it originally, it seems those fans are projecting a weird amount of importance and emphasis on it to try and create a buzz that isn’t there 

• Like 1

Well, the last time we had a real rivalry between companies, Twitter and Facebook didn't exist. I bet 1997 wrestling Twitter would've been every bit as bad or worse.

Hell, when TNA tried going head to head, even that got absurd.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Shane said:

I see that ratings chart and can only say one thing: They rebooted Muppet Babies?! What the fuck?

Is it any good?

It's ok. They make decent use of the extended Muppet characters. It feels like they do the same three episodes (Piggy is a selfish brat, Kermit doesn't want to admit a shortcoming, Animal is out of control) over and over though. The songs are so unmemorable that now I'm wondering if there are songs. There are worse shows for your toddler to be into. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's ok. They make decent use of the extended Muppet characters. It feels like they do the same three episodes (Piggy is a selfish brat, Kermit doesn't want to admit a shortcoming, Animal is out of control) over and over though. The songs are so unmemorable that now I'm wondering if there are songs. There are worse shows for your toddler to be into. 

Does Gonzo still want to get it on with Piggy?

@Custos I’d agree concerning sides if I had any interest in wwe.  It’s an easy choice for me.  AEW piqued my interest after 15 or so years of having little to no interest.  I also think it’s healthy to cut the fat.  AEW, New Japan and NWA Powerrr is already a lot in a week.  Watching WWE, quality standards aside, would burn me out.  

Edit: also currently watching NXT (yes, wwe), but I’m deciding whether to go YouTube highlights package or editing it down to essentials.  It’s dragging a bit for me.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Is any reboot good?

New Ducktales looks good from what I've seen it (our next door neighbors have a son who loves it and a puppy, so Mandy is always finagling her way through their door).

• Like 1

The thing about "ratings warz" is that it is an outdated concept that was kind of a dumb dick waving contest in the first place. I guess you could make an argument that in the 90's, the more people that watched your show, the more people might buy your PPV's.  WCW went out of business in part because they were obsessed by the ratings which at the end of the day meant nothing.

Move that to today, it's completely irrelevant except for message board fodder. WWE has two masters they have to satisfy by delivering ratings, and there could be 20 other companies running TV and that would not matter one bit. The money they have gotten from Fox and USA has basically rendered the network an afterthought at this point. When AEW's contract comes due, nobody will want to hear that they beat NXT this many weeks in a row, they will want to know what they delivered.

And based on all this I really think that the TNA move to Mondays is one of the underrated all time dumb business decisions in wrestling history.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

What did Tyson Fury say? I have no idea. 

A lot.

He has made anti-Semitic comments and trans-phobic comments but the one that got the most attention was equating homosexuality with pedophilia

(He also tried to hand wave it away by saying that because he is a celebrity, the heightened media scrutiny causes his words to be taken out of context)

EDIT - Oh and I forgot him saying he would kill his sister if she slept around

I’ll spoiler the Fury quotes...

• There are these girls who want to open their legs to every Tom, Dick and Harry. But they are looked upon as rubbish in our community. We don’t do stuff like that. If I had a sister who did that … I’d hang her. She would bring disgrace on the family. It is a very, very bad thing to do. We don’t do that. Women have to be pure and respectful.”
  • I believe a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back. That’s my personal belief.”
  • There are only three things that need to be accomplished before the devil comes home: one of them is homosexuality being legal in countries, one of them is abortion and the other one’s paedophilia.”
  • “It’s like you’re a freak of nature if you’re normal. You’re the odd one out — nobody else. What’s normal? I’ll just get myself changed into a woman. That’s normal, isn’t it? Today call myself Tysina or something like that, put a wig on. I don’t think it’s normal. I think they’re freaks of nature. I think it’ll be perfectly normal in the next 10 years to have sexual relationships with your animals at home — you know, your pets, your cats and dogs and all that — so that will be legal.”

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

New Ducktales is great. Kid loves it.

New(ish) Turtles is okay after a rough start. Trans-Dimensional Turtles (episode where they interact with their early 90’s counterparts) is one of the best pieces of fan service in years, though. They nailed it.

New Ducktales is better than any wrestling in 2019.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ll spoiler the Fury quotes...

Hide contents

• There are these girls who want to open their legs to every Tom, Dick and Harry. But they are looked upon as rubbish in our community. We don’t do stuff like that. If I had a sister who did that … I’d hang her. She would bring disgrace on the family. It is a very, very bad thing to do. We don’t do that. Women have to be pure and respectful.”
  • I believe a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back. That’s my personal belief.”
  • There are only three things that need to be accomplished before the devil comes home: one of them is homosexuality being legal in countries, one of them is abortion and the other one’s paedophilia.”
  • “It’s like you’re a freak of nature if you’re normal. You’re the odd one out — nobody else. What’s normal? I’ll just get myself changed into a woman. That’s normal, isn’t it? Today call myself Tysina or something like that, put a wig on. I don’t think it’s normal. I think they’re freaks of nature. I think it’ll be perfectly normal in the next 10 years to have sexual relationships with your animals at home — you know, your pets, your cats and dogs and all that — so that will be legal.”

Fuuuuccckkkk

This dude's an asshole... but Be A Star!!!!

• Like 4