DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Unfortunately, as with most things social media, the substance of the issue and the call for real change gets lost in the drama and dirty laundry and mudslinging, to the point where it is trivial for WWE PR to just bat this issue away into the long grass and continue the status quo.

I've not been in ACH's shoes to know if this outburst is warranted and/or understandable, but the sad result is that rather than rallying others behind the cause and using this as a spark to drag and claw this company towards a more progressive and representative organisation, it becomes a lone angry man who from the outside seems to be firing shots indiscriminately. Worse, no incumbent WWE talent can tenably stand in solidarity with someone broadcasting internal emails and burying other talent. 

But like I said, lord knows the frustration and tongue-biting any wrestler goes through in that place on a given day, let alone a black wrestler. 

• Like 1

Was that before or after the Hulk Hogan apology / non-apology 'don't get caught, Brother' that was sufficient in WWE management's eyes to forgive the hateful views he repeatedly expressed, and put him out there again as a beloved legacy star and role model?

EDIT TO ADD: Or the Lars Sullivan stuff that was waved away as he was 'going through a bad time'?

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Since its hard to keep track of all the ills of the company, is the Lio Rush stuff the most recent example of a racial issue there? (Excluding something like the Kabuki Warriors naming)

The Kabuki Warriors named themselves, no?

36 minutes ago, Custos said:

Was that before or after the Hulk Hogan apology / non-apology 'don't get caught, Brother' that was sufficient in WWE management's eyes to forgive the hateful views he repeatedly expressed, and put him out there again as a beloved legacy star and role model?

EDIT TO ADD: Or the Lars Sullivan stuff that was waved away as he was 'going through a bad time'?

Or Tyson Fury, and blaming his mental issues for his interesting views.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Can't wait for people to start combining acronyms so we get WUMGUGs or whatever. It'll make the Urban Dictionary searches two for the price of one.

As in "Happiness is a WUMGUG?"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Custos said:

In all seriousness, I cannot believe how neurotic folks are getting about ratings and their preferred brand (not around here for the most part, in those other places...) Is it a reflection of increasingly fractured and tribalistic political environment? Or simply young'uns who have never had first-hand experience of competition at the top level of American professional wrestling?

Been thinking about this a fair bit too. I think because ‘the Monday night ratings war’ is such a big piece of the WWE success narrative that has been hammered into our heads for going on 20 years, and with so many fans now watching having never been around for it originally, it seems those fans are projecting a weird amount of importance and emphasis on it to try and create a buzz that isn’t there 

• Like 1

Well, the last time we had a real rivalry between companies, Twitter and Facebook didn't exist. I bet 1997 wrestling Twitter would've been every bit as bad or worse.

Hell, when TNA tried going head to head, even that got absurd.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Shane said:

I see that ratings chart and can only say one thing: They rebooted Muppet Babies?! What the fuck?

Is it any good?

It's ok. They make decent use of the extended Muppet characters. It feels like they do the same three episodes (Piggy is a selfish brat, Kermit doesn't want to admit a shortcoming, Animal is out of control) over and over though. The songs are so unmemorable that now I'm wondering if there are songs. There are worse shows for your toddler to be into. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's ok. They make decent use of the extended Muppet characters. It feels like they do the same three episodes (Piggy is a selfish brat, Kermit doesn't want to admit a shortcoming, Animal is out of control) over and over though. The songs are so unmemorable that now I'm wondering if there are songs. There are worse shows for your toddler to be into. 

Does Gonzo still want to get it on with Piggy?

@Custos I’d agree concerning sides if I had any interest in wwe.  It’s an easy choice for me.  AEW piqued my interest after 15 or so years of having little to no interest.  I also think it’s healthy to cut the fat.  AEW, New Japan and NWA Powerrr is already a lot in a week.  Watching WWE, quality standards aside, would burn me out.  

Edit: also currently watching NXT (yes, wwe), but I’m deciding whether to go YouTube highlights package or editing it down to essentials.  It’s dragging a bit for me.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Is any reboot good?

New Ducktales looks good from what I've seen it (our next door neighbors have a son who loves it and a puppy, so Mandy is always finagling her way through their door).

• Like 1