DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hypothetically, the shirt design comes out. Jordan Myles is so offended he asks for his release then and there. He gets the bureaucratic run-around. For months. He asks again and is ignored, or turned down flat because of the company's current 'no release' policy. He then decides to go semi-scorched earth on social media, but keeps his desired result vague, because he knows that saying "I've asked for my release" on social media is the one thing that guarantees you get the 'Sit at home and get your downside' treatment (which is not a great deal if you aren't on a main roster contract). So he's holding out on saying publically that he wants out of the company for now, hoping that what his current actions get him released. And if it doesn't, he can still pull the 'Racist company is racist to black employee independent contractor, he asks to leave the company and they refuse to release him, echoes of slavery" angle.

The whole situation sucks because it seems NXT has been very progressive with people of color to the point where talent have been positively expressive about it on Social media especially coming off of Kofi's title win. There has been so much black representation in NXT alone not to mention WWE as a whole so it's kinda sad something like this happens. I'm sure there were other people telling him how to handle this situation for a few days , even weeks and he probably felt like he had to stand up for himself as a representation of people of color. I hope HHH and Vince handle this the correct way. Its unfortunate.

Black wrestling Twitter is having a field day with this - plus the Collective announced they’re doing a For The Culture show on WrestleMania weekend (presumably an all black talent card).

Of course, almost immediately after that announcement, people dug into the promoter’s tweets and found some homophobic and rape related tweets. So, it’s been a weird day.

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

the Collective announced they’re doing a For The Culture show on WrestleMania weekend (presumably an all black talent card).

Big Wavy Roy Johnson ran something like that two weeks ago, in Leicester. It was called Everything Patterned and it sold out early: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=239756 

WWE released a statement about that shirt. 

“Albert Hardie Jr. (aka Jordan Myles) approved this t-shirt for sale. As always, we work collaboratively with all of our performers to develop logos and merchandise designs and get their input and approval before proceeding. This was the same process with Albert, and we responded swiftly once he later requested that the logo/t-shirt be redesigned. No t-shirts were sold.”

A large part of the problem is that across the board there are too many old white dudes in charge not only of the wwe, but wrestling as a whole. Before AEW became a thing, I honestly can’t remember hearing about a person in power in American wrestling who wasn’t either a middle aged white guy or married to one. We are long overdue for a different kind of voice running the show or at least contributing on a high level 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

A large part of the problem is that across the board there are too many old white dudes in charge not only of the wwe, but wrestling as a whole. Before AEW became a thing, I honestly can’t remember hearing about a person in power in American wrestling who wasn’t either a middle aged white guy or married to one. We are long overdue for a different kind of voice running the show or at least contributing on a high level 

You might have to go back to Lia Miavia. The only other possibility is Dixie, whose husband I thought was Hispanic but could be wrong on that one. (Its late and I am full of NyQuil)

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

and congrats to Sean Lennon on his Mexico working name of "El Hijo de John Lennon"

There really should be an Hijo Del John Lennon with a mask that looks like John Lennon’s face, and complete with wig like Psychosis. Then to top it off a Giant Gonzalez-esq bodysuit.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, The Outsider said:

I like how the statement starts off saying that he approved "this t-shirt for sale" as if to imply he saw the design and was ok with it which sounds like bullshit. This is one of those situations, where they would be best served by owning the fuck up.

Right. So he approved the sale, but then wanted the shirt redesigned? What? Like you said, just have some accountability as a company for once.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Right. So he approved the sale, but then wanted the shirt redesigned? What? Like you said, just have some accountability as a company for once.

Even worse, their statement implies he was consulted on the design, which besides doubting it for obvious reasons, is unlikely or else they would have come right out and said it. Instead they pulled the “he approved it and we consult with talent on designs,” which seems unlikely as both PAC and Becky have said the opposite. I also doubt Kona Reeves consulted on his plain ass shirt. “Yeah, I like how you have just my name on the shirt, but hear me out: what if you put two lines under my name, with the top line being just a little longer than the other. Now that’s the finest!”

• Haha 3

Jordan Myles t-shirt controversy, fans calling out GCW for their upcoming "For the Culture" WM weekend show and still booking SHLAK for other shows, etc. and it's only Monday.

Pro-wrestling can be the absolute worst.

And before anyone says it, only a couple of days left...

I've defended the company on occasion, much to my own detriment. But you can't get much more blatant than that. I don't know what's more infuriating, the shirt or WWE's apathetic response. 

Onto Bret's suplex, I once attended a seminar with Bret and commented on how aesthetically pleasing his suplex looked, and that it looked genuinely damaging to his opponent. He told us he would slap the mat as hard as he could on impact to create an extra ''snap''. It's the minor details. Bret was the king at that.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Even worse, their statement implies he was consulted on the design, which besides doubting it for obvious reasons, is unlikely or else they would have come right out and said it. Instead they pulled the “he approved it and we consult with talent on designs,” which seems unlikely as both PAC and Becky have said the opposite. I also doubt Kona Reeves consulted on his plain ass shirt. “Yeah, I like how you have just my name on the shirt, but hear me out: what if you put two lines under my name, with the top line being just a little longer than the other. Now that’s the finest!”

He admitted to approving the design. He said he was uncomfortable with the design and tried to make counter offers only to be lied to about HHH being the one to push for it. Basically he didn't tell them his issues with it until after the decision was made, including his approval being given.

Considering the scorched earth he is going for he clearly is trying his hardest to be fired.

Edited by Eivion