DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Say something worth respecting.  "What if the black person is just complaining about this to get ahead?"  is the clarion call of every denier of racism ever when something racist happens. It's embarrassing that this is where you went and that what you're worried about is a dude angling for an NXT championship reign. The shit is sad, and it's sad that you think you're making a worthwhile point.

Meanwhile, no questions for the company out of you because those weren't as important to write down as "what if the black man is trying to take advantage of the system?" 

I'm not posting about this again because really now that I know you're black, I shouldn't be airing this out with you here on this board, but believe me when I say that it's only because we're at this board that I wasn't a lot more direct with you than I was here. 

I question timing of anyone choosing to air grievances after said grievances were supposedly settled. I'm not going to excuse it just because he is black. We saw Lio Rush just this year choose to casually play the race card to try and get out of poor lockerroom traditions that had nothing to do with race. I dislike someone taking advantage of actual issues just to further their own personal goals. 

You are the one who is assuming I'm just fine and dandy with the company and have no issues. The problem is these issues have been seen and known for a while now so its hard for me to sympathize with him wanting to take a stand suddenly when he signed on knowing them. Beyond that this is a particular incident that could have easily been a case of ignorance and misunderstanding. If it was something more then I would at least like some detail on it.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@Eivion  I don't think the timing of his tweet is an issue worth looking into whether it's been a few days or a month I don't see a difference. I don't think he's doing it for any other reason than to point out how shitty it is and how he feels about it.  

Well seeing as he mentioned that he will keep posting until his voice is heard and WE get what we deserve, this is clearly more than him trying to say how shitty the situation is. That implies he has a somewhat tangible goal in mind.

41 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Can someone explain whats wrong with that shirt? I'm not trying to be edgy here, but I'm from another continent and I'm clearly missing some contextual information here.

Blackface imagery. There has been an issue with companies recently either purposefully or accidentally letting such things slide in their merchandise.

Edited by Eivion

41 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Can someone explain whats wrong with that shirt? I'm not trying to be edgy here, but I'm from another continent and I'm clearly missing some contextual information here.

On the off-chance you're British, you may also want to google Boris Johnson and 'watermelon smiles'.

More like Jordan Smyles.

(after seeing the post just above this one, I feel the need to say this is not a direct reply to it, but just a gag on his name rhyming with, well you know...)

Edited by Trebor
clarification

During the 4 Horsewoman era, didn't certain talent have more input in their merch before everyone had merch. You would think the talent at the performance center should have the luxury of working with the design team especially since most of the are either rebranding themselves or either starting out their careers in NXT. I've got 3 ACH shirts from Pro Wrestling Tees that I really like and it would be hard for them to live up to Nerds clothing and Rob Schamberger almost put together some of the best shirts the have and its mainly because they are in touch with the talent. Most of the other shirts suck and alot of talented look embarrassed to wear their own shit sometimes especially these guys that have had their own merch before WWE.

35 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

During the 4 Horsewoman era, didn't certain talent have more input in their merch before everyone had merch. You would think the talent at the performance center should have the luxury of working with the design team especially since most of the are either rebranding themselves or either starting out their careers in NXT. I've got 3 ACH shirts from Pro Wrestling Tees that I really like and it would be hard for them to live up to Nerds clothing and Rob Schamberger almost put together some of the best shirts the have and its mainly because they are in touch with the talent. Most of the other shirts suck and alot of talented look embarrassed to wear their own shit sometimes especially these guys that have had their own merch before WWE.

I’m going to assume the only people they are in touch with are the writers. So ACH doesn’t have much of character in NXT from what I’ve seen. On the indies his big trait is that he’s an otaku. To the writers at NXT I wouldn’t be surprised if all they have is “Smiling Black Guy”. 

Also that shirt came around the time they rushed NXT onto USA to beat AEW to TV. So they probably had an intern make up a bunch of last minute shirt designs. This was one of the other monstrosities...

97ecfce6f3501c099000ae3d2cf15a5dmockup-8

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Talent really need to start getting clauses for signing off on their merch. That is an embarrassing level of laziness.

Especially when you have a handful of Wrestling related clothing lines that are doing good business. I follow people on Instagram and Twitter that make better designs that even some of the Wrestlers themselves wear, they could hire them.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m not talking about the martial art practiced by the former WUMMA... Whoops... I mean WAMMA Heavyweight Champion, Fedor Emelianenko.

Have no idea why I went for Google images... Terrible.

Edited by Edwin

Hypothetically, the shirt design comes out. Jordan Myles is so offended he asks for his release then and there. He gets the bureaucratic run-around. For months. He asks again and is ignored, or turned down flat because of the company's current 'no release' policy. He then decides to go semi-scorched earth on social media, but keeps his desired result vague, because he knows that saying "I've asked for my release" on social media is the one thing that guarantees you get the 'Sit at home and get your downside' treatment (which is not a great deal if you aren't on a main roster contract). So he's holding out on saying publically that he wants out of the company for now, hoping that what his current actions get him released. And if it doesn't, he can still pull the 'Racist company is racist to black employee independent contractor, he asks to leave the company and they refuse to release him, echoes of slavery" angle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hypothetically, the shirt design comes out. Jordan Myles is so offended he asks for his release then and there. He gets the bureaucratic run-around. For months. He asks again and is ignored, or turned down flat because of the company's current 'no release' policy. He then decides to go semi-scorched earth on social media, but keeps his desired result vague, because he knows that saying "I've asked for my release" on social media is the one thing that guarantees you get the 'Sit at home and get your downside' treatment (which is not a great deal if you aren't on a main roster contract). So he's holding out on saying publically that he wants out of the company for now, hoping that what his current actions get him released. And if it doesn't, he can still pull the 'Racist company is racist to black employee independent contractor, he asks to leave the company and they refuse to release him, echoes of slavery" angle.

The whole situation sucks because it seems NXT has been very progressive with people of color to the point where talent have been positively expressive about it on Social media especially coming off of Kofi's title win. There has been so much black representation in NXT alone not to mention WWE as a whole so it's kinda sad something like this happens. I'm sure there were other people telling him how to handle this situation for a few days , even weeks and he probably felt like he had to stand up for himself as a representation of people of color. I hope HHH and Vince handle this the correct way. Its unfortunate.

Black wrestling Twitter is having a field day with this - plus the Collective announced they’re doing a For The Culture show on WrestleMania weekend (presumably an all black talent card).

Of course, almost immediately after that announcement, people dug into the promoter’s tweets and found some homophobic and rape related tweets. So, it’s been a weird day.

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

the Collective announced they’re doing a For The Culture show on WrestleMania weekend (presumably an all black talent card).

Big Wavy Roy Johnson ran something like that two weeks ago, in Leicester. It was called Everything Patterned and it sold out early: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=239756 

WWE released a statement about that shirt. 

“Albert Hardie Jr. (aka Jordan Myles) approved this t-shirt for sale. As always, we work collaboratively with all of our performers to develop logos and merchandise designs and get their input and approval before proceeding. This was the same process with Albert, and we responded swiftly once he later requested that the logo/t-shirt be redesigned. No t-shirts were sold.”

A large part of the problem is that across the board there are too many old white dudes in charge not only of the wwe, but wrestling as a whole. Before AEW became a thing, I honestly can’t remember hearing about a person in power in American wrestling who wasn’t either a middle aged white guy or married to one. We are long overdue for a different kind of voice running the show or at least contributing on a high level 

• Like 5