DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I didn't even remember your take on it, sorry. I was referring to somebody else vehemently defending him. 

Always nice to meet a fan.

Nothing that has gone wrong with SmackDown on Fox can actually be traced to Bischoff. On JR's pod they theorized that he'd been set up as a fall guy the whole time.

But yeah, decade old biker jokes or something

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

Here you go. Best drummer of all time:

Being a prog fan (I have more ELP albums than anyone actually needs, the number of which is probably actually 0) I of course enjoyed that, but his writing of some of the most cloying, irritating pop hits of the '80s will forever make me want to strangle him, I don't care how good his fills and accents are.

This might make me pull out my beat up copy of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

She knows how it goes

When people talk about how WWE fails itself by not having any sort of plan and being in a constant scramble, this is what they are talking about.  If they bothered to use the women in the undercard, they could already have a challenger lined up rather than using people who have been in tag teams and Main Event to artificially produce one last minute.  If they had been smashing Carmella over the last two months, she could go in hot rather than on the heels of a 24/7 Title run.  She (or whoever) instead will go in cold and the match won't be over.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:08 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

They have been pushing a soon-to-be challenger.  It's just not the one you want:

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif 

You know what, fuck it.  If she did turn face then I'm very cool with that choice.  Once they feature what she did before WWE I can see people take quite a liking to her.  And given it's on Fox her being on SD makes sense.  Plus she seemed fine to me in-ring on Raw.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

They're playing HHH's old Motorhead theme at halftime of an English Championship match in Cardiff, which, uh, that might be one of the weirdest wrestling-related things I've said in awhile, actually. 

• Like 1

To the people bringing up the XFL taking Vince’s attention away from the WWE, I say “Really?”. Vince apparently loves creative meetings behind the scenes. What kind of behind the scenes shenanigans at a 10th rate football league can be more exciting than coming up with crap like the Lana/Rusev/Lashley love triangle to Vince? Especially knowing that they’ll probably be working on the same tv budget as a local terrestrial tv show.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

They're playing HHH's old Motorhead theme at halftime of an English Championship match in Cardiff, which, uh, that might be one of the weirdest wrestling-related things I've said in awhile, actually. 

These goofs at the Camping World Stadium played John Cena's theme song during an Orlando City game half time in one of the seasons they played there before they finished building the new stadium.

5 minutes ago, Edwin said:

These goofs at the Camping World Stadium played John Cena's theme song during an Orlando City game half time in one of the seasons they played there before they finished building the new stadium.

I kinda get playing that stuff at an American football game or if a baseball player picks it as walk-up music, but it just seems weirdly out of place at a soccer match. 

The only exception I can think of is playing something like Also Sprach Zarathustra at a game as the home team comes out, and that's not really wrestling music, so it doesn't really count here. 

29 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

"It's time to play the game" has become a staple of pregames for various events. I've heard it at baseball games and high school football.

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I honestly don’t know what he was thinking? Did he assume the kneeling thing would’ve crippled the NFL?

He's an idiot with four great creative/business ideas that he rode to a billion dollars and the opportunity to become too big to fail.

I'm not trying to underrate the stuff he's done that's been creatively great, but for the most part, he's extremely lucky. He was lucky that most of his competitors were run by people who just weren't business-savvy. He's lucky that any competitors that might have become a threat were felled by outside forces (like Mid-South trying to expand right at the time the oil market exploded). He's lucky that the U.S. Attorney's Office that tried him made a number of mistakes in arguing its case and that he was able to avoid prison. Most of all, he's lucky that he's got a poor product with steadily falling ratings that has value precisely because it is a live product and the networks really want live products that can't be DVR'ed and that have built-in audiences, no matter how dwindling. 

But make no mistake; he's a stubborn moron. See trying to launch the XFL after it had already failed once and been branded a joke because he thought there was a market in Colin Kaepernick-hating football fans who would watch third-rate football talent play mediocre games instead of the NFL. 

Or see anything he's had direct control over since about 2005. This dude actually kinda sucks; it's just that putting major shows on PPV, Hogan, The Rock, and Austin vs. McMahon were really fucking genius. If he'd retired in 2002, he'd be basically the Harper Lee of pro wrestling: remembered as great for a very low number of actual great ideas/works. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 4