DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

39 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

But, you guys, we were wrong to be critical of him... He was a revolutionary genius back in the day and there's nothing from stopping him doing it again!

I don't recall going that far. I think my generally enjoying listening to his spin on his podcast left me willing to give him a chance. But if half of what's been said about him this week is true, it's definitely not the best look.

That said, when does any genius really get through Vince's bottleneck? Even while we claim to see Heyman's fingerprints here or there, he's struggling to make a dent too. At the very least, that one person at the top could stop damn near anyone with something to add. 

I'd love to hear more about how he messed up with Fox. Conrad, if you still lurk here, have Bruce leak something more substantive next time. Thanks, big guy. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

I didn't even remember your take on it, sorry. I was referring to somebody else vehemently defending him. 

Totally agree that it's impossible for any creative force to thrive in Vince's system.

• Like 2

I could thrive in it. Of course, this is after they are all dead and I buy the rights to the company at a fire sale in 2050.

Note: Its called a fire sale in 2050 because almost everything is literally always on fire.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

vince-mcmahon-1-696x392.jpg

"God damn pal, these ideas you people keep coming up with are terrible! I can see I have to do everything myself so here you go. Effective immediately:

Shin.... Sheen.... that Nakamura guy is going to start throwing salt and using nerve holds. His finisher will now be a karate kick.

The USOs are going to be barefoot savages who eat raw chicken and can't speak english. And someone tell them they need to gain 100 pounds each.

Seth Rollins is going to start coming to the ring in chaps and dancing around like a chippendale.

Big E is going to paint his face and be the new Papa Shango!

And lastly.... breast implants for every single Diva... I mean "women's wrestler".

That'll right the ship around here! GOD DAMN I'm a genius!"

• Haha 1

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Is anybody doing that? I don't think I've seen a single person say a positive thing about Bruce since this news broke. 

Is anyone saying that Eric was the problem?  Yes.  Eric wasn't the problem.. he is A problem.. sure. He's not THE problem.  Everything is the problem. 

I have no idea why people in wrestling can't see Bischoff's real value isn't as an executive, it's as on air talent. He is really great as a sleazy smarmy heel and would be a great manager/mothpiece leading a heel stable.

• Like 8

I get the sense that I don't need to read the early 1999 section of the Nitro Book to remind myself of the whole "Eric Bischoff went on a vacation during a ratings war" story. I mean, Bischoff doesn't come off as totally bad since he was keeping a promise.. but that pretty much should have disqualified him in the eyes of a guy who once told his lead writer to "hire a nanny" after doubling his workload

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I didn't even remember your take on it, sorry. I was referring to somebody else vehemently defending him. 

Totally agree that it's impossible for any creative force to thrive in Vince's system.

Bischoff was clearly hired for his name value only.  Eric took the job, took the money, didn't have a clue what was happening in the WWE, didn't give a shit and went home.    Some guys in their later years want to prove themselves for past missteps.  Some just want to cash in.  Eric was the latter.  You guys spending any more time discussing it past that are wasting more time than he has.  

• Like 7

There were three to four specific things Bischoff consistently said that I thought WWE was desperately lacking. He did not, in any obvious way, bring them to WWE.

I'd be curious if he had a hand in the "Who attacked Reigns?" story though. Because that, culminating in the tag with Bryan was the best major program in the WWE all year (other than maybe Bryan vs Kofi).  

I fully admit that maybe he didn't and that obviously there were a lot of other issues.

Also, what a wretched year in general. We sat back when it was obvious there was no good choice to win the Rumble and they still managed to some how pick the worst of a number of bad choices and it's just been one thing after another since.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

There were three to four specific things Bischoff consistently said that I thought WWE was desperately lacking. He did not, in any obvious way, bring them to WWE.

I'd be curious if he had a hand in the "Who attacked Reigns?" story though. Because that, culminating in the tag with Bryan was the best major program in the WWE all year (other than maybe Bryan vs Kofi).  

I fully admit that maybe he didn't and that obviously there were a lot of other issues.

Also, what a wretched year in general. We sat back when it was obvious there was no good choice to win the Rumble and they still managed to some how pick the worst of a number of bad choices and it's just been one thing after another since.

Last week I was thinking about WWE having a bad 2019. I haven't enjoyed NXT like I once did. Hard to follow up 2018 in NXT. The only positives from the year I can come up with:

Daniel Bryan's WWE Championship reign. Bryan chastising consumerism and fickle fans, his showing in the Elimination Chamber and losing the belt to Kofi Kingston at WrestleMania XXXV.

Bray Wyatt's reinvention as the child friendly host of the Firefly Funhouse to the sinister alter ego, the Fiend. Top notch presentation. Sadly WWE's fucked it up.

The rise of The Man, Becky Lynch. WWE botched something simple that needed to be Lynch vs. Rousey in the main event of WrestleMania XXXV.

WALTER vs. Tyler Bate.

Am I missing any other positives from WWE?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1