DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The bad thing about Smackdown’s ratings is that if it continues to plummet it’ll make more TV executives gun shy about wrestling in the future. So the WWE needs to turn it around in the ratings, or it’ll drag down the business even further. 

It’s funny, because I personally predicted this. The original All In doing extremely well, along with all these indie promotions attracting hardcores to shows during Wrestlemania weekend, and creating these viral clips. I knew all this would help WWE make TV exces think that this business was about to make a huge turnaround, and them being the premier promotion would be the flag bearer for the new boom. It might still come. I don’t have my pulse on today’s youth(Although while watching Joker, I was surrounded by them. So I got a bit of an idea where things are headed with popular culture), so it could happen. But I don’t see it with the current incarnation of the WWE leading it. Especially if they keep gobbling up any spark of talent out there. They are only hurting themselves in the long run when they do that.

The problem though is, even with this plummeting, it's still doing far better than it had any right doing.

Wrestling is niche, but niche is mainstream right now. Wrestling's just not going to give you the ratings of real sports...it's just not.

However, right now the demographic shifts are very good for WWE as it is- WWE has all the sexy demographics networks want for Smackdown. Yes, CBS's procedurals are kicking their ass. They're also doing so with people over 50+ watching them, which the networks don't want at all. 

This is the first time the ivory tower's on WWE's side- they'd rather have 2-3 million people of desirable demographics than 7 million old people. 

10 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem though is, even with this plummeting, it's still doing far better than it had any right doing.

Wrestling is niche, but niche is mainstream right now. Wrestling's just not going to give you the ratings of real sports...it's just not.

However, right now the demographic shifts are very good for WWE as it is- WWE has all the sexy demographics networks want for Smackdown. Yes, CBS's procedurals are kicking their ass. They're also doing so with people over 50+ watching them, which the networks don't want at all. 

This is the first time the ivory tower's on WWE's side- they'd rather have 2-3 million people of desirable demographics than 7 million old people. 

Actually Smackdown this past week did Way better in the 50+ demo, and were down with the 18+. They still finished first with 18+, but they aren’t getting better there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

The cruise poster got me thinking, do you still get really crappy indie rip offs of popular wrestlers? 

It seemed to be a thing in the 70s-early 2000s but not as much now. 

Id love to think there is a Geoff Rollins or a Tasha Banks our there wrestling in front of 30 people in a barn somewhere.

I lived in a part of SC where there was an indy fed whose main title holder was "Jay Batista".  He looked like a spitting image Dollar Tree Dave, and he claimed to be a cousin.

Edited by nate
  • Like 1

Before he was ever The Blue Meanie, Brian Heffron used to wrestle on the undercard of Sabu's NWA shows in Michigan (most of Al Snow's former students did).

His ring name was Brian Rollins.

2 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

WWF "tribute shows" were a thing in the UK in the early 2000s, and apparently drew quite well.

jehomcdzb08z.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&au

My former boss went to one of those. He said their Rey Mysterio Jr was taller than their Big Show. He did a 619 with one foot on the ring apron, apparently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Before he was ever The Blue Meanie, Brian Heffron used to wrestle on the undercard of Sabu's NWA shows in Michigan (most of Al Snow's former students did).

And now you just reminded me of Ubas (aka: El Puerto Ricano)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

I hope he was doing a Henry Rollins gimmick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

WWF "tribute shows" were a thing in the UK in the early 2000s, and apparently drew quite well.

jehomcdzb08z.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&au

Bizarrely enough they're still going strong fella, with this same crew, and even with the resurgence of promotions in the UK. You tend to see them in coastal towns once a year, kids seem to love it which is weird as none of the 'characters' are relevant.

Edited by BurningBeard

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't UBAS also Tiger Ali Singh's man servant, Babu?

Yes, he also worked for ECW and worked in Puerto Rico as Pablo Marquez.