DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Sucks that dude's art was ripped off, but I'm a little upset with him describing Dolph as a metalhead. 

I am never going to let that Megadeath thing go

Edit: thanks to Ryan for pointing out I misread meathead but still.. just makes Dolph both a poser and a thief

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Were you shirtless and wearing sandals with black socks and a headband tied around your head not covering your bald part of your head?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

are you ready for the McMahon Genome Federation?

Only if he starts poaching talent so I can see a sequel to the legendary Montanha Silva vs. The Predator bout

EDIT: I went through all of Cagematch and couldn't find that match. Does it exist or is it a hallucination?

Edited by Curt McGirt

Man, 1992 and 1993 were Hogan's lost years.

So many good things they could have done with his character, instead he went and made Thunder In Paradise, and we're left with nothing feuds with Money Inc and Sid, and unfinished business with Yokozuna.

- We never saw him interact much with Savage post-face turn. How does he accept him as reformed? The Mega Powers reforming instead of the Mega Maniacs? Hogan being the third wheel to the Mega Maniacs?

- Similar stuff with Slaughter. Does he accept Slaughter after he wants his country back? Is he Slaughter to Slaughter's Volkoff? Or even Taker for that matter? 

- Does the Yoko loss at KOTR 93 spark a crisis in confidence? Does he then feud with the younger version of himself in Luger? The obvious Bret match? Even Shawn was taking lots of potshots at him on the mic. A new generation vs old feud? More stuff with Savage after Savage completely shit on him on WWF Radio?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Why is he complaining on twitter and not suing?

Suing a multi-billion dollar company is hard to win, even when you are right, and often even if you do win it'll cost more that you actually recover.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Man, 1992 and 1993 were Hogan's lost years.

So many good things they could have done with his character, instead he went and made Thunder In Paradise, and we're left with nothing feuds with Money Inc and Sid, and unfinished business with Yokozuna.

- We never saw him interact much with Savage post-face turn. How does he accept him as reformed? The Mega Powers reforming instead of the Mega Maniacs? Hogan being the third wheel to the Mega Maniacs?

- Similar stuff with Slaughter. Does he accept Slaughter after he wants his country back? Is he Slaughter to Slaughter's Volkoff? Or even Taker for that matter? 

- Does the Yoko loss at KOTR 93 spark a crisis in confidence? Does he then feud with the younger version of himself in Luger? The obvious Bret match? Even Shawn was taking lots of potshots at him on the mic. A new generation vs old feud? More stuff with Savage after Savage completely shit on him on WWF Radio?

The problem with Hogan in 1993 is that WWE's traditional failing is that they rarely knew when the right time to pull the trigger on turning their top babyface heel was for massive damage. 

Through all the WWE's problems- even up to today, WWE never quite got the right time when people were sick of the top hero and knew "this is the time to turn them"- with only Bret Hart in 1997 turning heel right when the fans were ready to boo them. 

This was the case with Hogan- you could see them being ready in 1991-92 for Hogan to turn heel, but by 1993 it was pretty much set in stone- Hulk Hogan had no place in 1993 WWF as a hero anymore. You had to be willing to pull the trigger on a Hogan heel turn in order to use him past 1993 (and that'd have changed things dramatically in the future- the "holy shit, Hulk Hogan is a bad guy now???" was the catalyst to make the NWO angle explode for WCW. If WWF turned Hogan, then it wouldn't have mattered as much in WCW 1996.) 

• Thanks 1

Montgomery Alabama elected their first African-American mayor today, which i'm only mentioning here because the candidate in question defeated former Continental Wrestling owner David Woods by a 2 to 1 margin. Maybe David Woods can become mayor of a town that he buys from Ron Fuller.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem with Hogan in 1993 is that WWE's traditional failing is that they rarely knew when the right time to pull the trigger on turning their top babyface heel was for massive damage. 

Through all the WWE's problems- even up to today, WWE never quite got the right time when people were sick of the top hero and knew "this is the time to turn them"- with only Bret Hart in 1997 turning heel right when the fans were ready to boo them. 

This was the case with Hogan- you could see them being ready in 1991-92 for Hogan to turn heel, but by 1993 it was pretty much set in stone- Hulk Hogan had no place in 1993 WWF as a hero anymore. You had to be willing to pull the trigger on a Hogan heel turn in order to use him past 1993 (and that'd have changed things dramatically in the future- the "holy shit, Hulk Hogan is a bad guy now???" was the catalyst to make the NWO angle explode for WCW. If WWF turned Hogan, then it wouldn't have mattered as much in WCW 1996.) 

Was that necessarily that they were tired of Hogan, or tired of the same formula his programs were in?

People would have cheered him against Flair, against Luger, Yokozuna, maybe even Lawler also in the right towns. Instead they paired him either with guys that were even more on the nose than he was (Jimmy Hart, Brutus), against guys they wanted to cheer anyway (Sid, and by extent, Bret) in situations where the case presented for his actions were shaky at best.

There was just no nuance to any of his stories, or any reason to get behind him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

I wonder how much of Bret becoming a heel was him saying “Alright, this HBK fucker doesn’t want to be heel. Well I’m gonna show this little bitch up by not only becoming the top heel, but also getting the new top babyface over big”. I mean technically they both went heel around the same time. The difference was Bret went gung-ho, and Shawn was extremely reluctant to the point he was shitting on all his contemporaries onscreen.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs