DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

You know what's nice? I just turned on Championship Wrestling from Hollywood to see an obese manager cut a really good promo, then saw a skinny Canadian kid and a tubby Latino kid wrestle in a tiny ring, work the arm, and end the match on a shoulderbreaker (even though it looked like they might've flubbed the count). Breath of fresh air. 

• Like 3

You just had to mention that. I'm watching the main (which is awful) and thought "well nobody's done a Poison Rana or anything all show" and a guy IMMEDIATELY does a reverse stunner. It's like I telepathically willed it to occur. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Maybe to you they need variety, but I don’t think the teenage audience that’s watching AEW, apparently, cares if a dude dressed like a cowboy isn’t throwing haymakers instead of doing a SSP. To them, it just looks cool.

Just like the line of thinking that they need more hoss types or whatever. I guarantee you a 16 year old watching AEW could care less if some big burly dude is in the promotion or not, they most likely rather see flippy shit because it’s more impressive.

Yeah, but teenagers are stupid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

WHOS COOL IN NXT?

Can't get any weirder than 2 40+ year old men talking about "who's cool."

I'm almost in tears.

Edited by Edwin

Who's cool in AEW? Like, I'm forty something, so I'm not hip to all the jive the kids are into, but outside of Darby and Orange Cassidy, I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone they have that fits the criteria. The Young Bucks are middle aged and balding; Kenny is a cosplaying weeaboo; Jimmy Havoc is a dorky edgelord... 

13 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Who's cool in AEW? Like, I'm forty something, so I'm not hip to all the jive the kids are into, but outside of Darby and Orange Cassidy, I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone they have that fits the criteria. The Young Bucks are middle aged and balding; Kenny is a cosplaying weeaboo; Jimmy Havoc is a dorky edgelord... 

According to Meltzer, Bianca, Candace, Io and Undisputed ERA are cool, but there "is a million cooler acts in AEW."

14 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

The Young Bucks are middle aged

15 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Like, I'm forty something

You're closer to middle age than the Bucks are, if not past that.

But if the Bucks weren't "cool", they would have not galvanized enough people to make AEW a thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, two of the biggest wrestling stars ever in the last 30 years was a bald guy who refused to shave that ridiculous shit off his head for decades and the other was balding 2 years into the business.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

You don’t say.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You just had to mention that. I'm watching the main (which is awful) and thought "well nobody's done a Poison Rana or anything all show" and a guy IMMEDIATELY does a reverse stunner. It's like I telepathically willed it to occur. 

Use your powers for good or evil, whichever you prefer Professor M.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Is polo shirt Jack Swagger cool? Like, in a I’m so cool, I buy my gear in the Kohl’s men’s section sorta way?

Discussions of polo shirts have been known to upset people on this board.

My thought was that I have a polo shirt from Orlebar Brown that's similar though a bit nicer. Also people with massive necks should probably get a tailor.

6 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Are there any minors here?

16 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

which is the one losing his hair?

I haven't paid attention in awhile, but I think both have receding hairlines. I don't know about bald spots.