DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

3 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Pro-wrestling needs more cowboy boots and less kick pads.

People mock the American South in general, but it definitely does three things better than everybody else: food, the blues, and professional wrestling. 

I was thinking about this while watching Cody in AEW Dynamite's debut match. I just wanted him to start punching dudes instead of doing top-rope flippies or what-have-you. Dude, you're from the south. You don't have to wear the cowboy boots (the Geese Howard look is fantastic, IMO), but do what someone who would look good in cowboy boots would do and punch the shit out of your opponent. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Anyway, I read that Chyna and Jacqueline never wrestled one another in Attitude-era WWE. I can't believe that this is true, but I actually think it would have been potentially entertaining because Jacqueline came off as vicious and, to me, could have credibly given Chyna that work in a match. Not that this was the way that the company thought about the women at the time, but I actually weirdly kinda want to see that match. Or at least, the well-booked version of it.

It's ironic that as I came upon this reply that I was listening to the WHW episode covering the go-home Nitro for Starrcade 1997. Conrad actually brings that up on the show. That Nitro was a week or so after Jacqueline was let go from WCW for not wanting to get attacked from behind by Miss Elizabeth. Apparently, she (Jacqueline) had been told by I'm assuming WWF higher-ups trying to get her to jump she would come in and feud with Chyna. Thus, you have her reluctance to do that angle. Based on the political clout Hunter was gaining at the time, this being well after the curtain call, and just winning KOTR 97, I'm safely assuming he put the kibosh on that as not have his GF be shown up. Jacqueline could work, and Chyna was green as all hell. The best thing that could be done is keep them apart if you're Triple H.

Also, based on Sable and Chyna getting into it years later on TV, I think Hunter put it into her head that she should not be selling for other women.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

I think guys should rep their roots in their fighting style so I get the above comment about Cody, but I quite like him as “new wave Surfer Sting” at the moment.

Speaking of guys repping their roots. Adam Page dresses like a mini Blackjack and still does the flippy stuff which always gives me a chuckle.  The original Blackjacks would choke on their chewing tobacco if they saw it.

• Like 1

Just now, Ultimo Necro said:

I think guys should rep their roots in their fighting style so I get the above comment about Cody, but I quite like him as “new wave Surfer Sting” at the moment.

Speaking of guys repping their roots. Adam Page dresses like a mini Blackjack and still does the flippy stuff which always gives me a chuckle.  The original Blackjacks would choke on their chewing tobacco if they saw it.

then get mouth and throat cancer from years of chewing tobacco?

20 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Adam Page dresses like a mini Blackjack and still does the flippy stuff which always gives me a chuckle.

This was all I could think about watching his match. A tope is one thing but a fucking standing SSP? Do you REALLY need that in your moveset?! For fuck's sake...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you were a Wrestler and you were physically capable of doing a Standing SSP, wouldn't you try to do one in your high profile matches?

Ole Anderson told Vader he should never do a Vader Bomb, let alone a Moonsault, because Big Guys Shouldn't Do Little Guy Shit.

Is SDL ending tonight with a massive brawl?

NXT did in in their USA debut 2 weeks ago and AEW did it this week in their TNT debut. ?‍♂️

Edited by Edwin

39 minutes ago, AxB said:

If you were a Wrestler and you were physically capable of doing a Standing SSP, wouldn't you try to do one in your high profile matches?

Ole Anderson told Vader he should never do a Vader Bomb, let alone a Moonsault, because Big Guys Shouldn't Do Little Guy Shit.

Per your second point, Vader doing a Vader Bomb (or Moonsault) in 1992 fit perfectly with his gimmick as more than your typical big man because he was quick and agile and could do things that only guys like Brian Pillman might attempt at the time. It made sense that he was a Big Guy doing Little Guy Shit because his gimmick was that he was an all-world athlete and killer who could do anything. Plus, he would often whiff on his top-rope moves in big matches against top faces, so the underlying message there was that even though he could do that stuff, maybe sometimes that he was a bit too cocky and tried it against the tippy-top guys was part of his downfall when he lost. 

That's different from doing the same standing SSP that half the roster can (and will do) regardless of their size in 2019.

Per your first point, I guess you would if your prevailing opinion of what makes a match good is MOVEZ, but I mean, Seth Rollins is the ultimate product of that mindset and he absolutely sucks (well, still sucks, from what I've heard from this board). I'd prefer the wrestler who asks what he should do in the context of his character and the match itself rather than what he can do athletically, damn the context. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 3

He's 28 years old. Perhaps he'll mature out of approaching wrestling as a showing off contest. But considering the company he keeps, probably not.

EDIT: Hangman Page. Not Edge or any bloody McMahons.

Edited by AxB

Buckshot lariat is a great set-up but the running SSPs don't have a lot on them. The odd time he does the lionsault he's usually not very accurate. However, his Orihara is superb and he has a nice middle ground between not killing the recipient and actually touching them unlike Charlotte's deal to the outside. He has the hops to do some of it well but not all of it. Trim the garbage and he's golden in that regard. I imagine they'll flesh the storyline of him not thinking the Bucks have his back and in doing so they'll start to rehab him. Going with Jericho was the obvious and right call. I'm glad they didn't pull the trigger prematurely with him. He needs to earn the title and there isn't that sense at all yet.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

However, his Orihara is superb and he has a nice middle ground between not killing the recipient and actually touching them unlike Charlotte's deal to the outside. 

One of my favourite wrestlers ATM, but her move set also needs a page-one rewrite. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy