DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NCAAF: Week 6

EVA

The California thing is a major, major issue. 

First of all, it passed unanimously in the CA House and Senate, so there's lots of political will to go to war over the issue.

Secondly, lots of other states will soon pass similar legislation.

Third, it'll make for some awesome courtroom action.  "So, Mr. NCAA Representative, you feel that a POSSIBLE scholarship is sufficient compensation for the physically-risky activity of playing football but not for the not-physically-risky activity of coaching football.  Can you explain that contradiction?"  "So, Mr. NCAA Representative, you don't feel that a player, such as Johnny Manziel should be able to profit from his own likeness but that the NCAA, through its online merchandise store, should be able to use his name as a search term that directly links to merchandise for his team bearing his number?  Can you explain that apparent contradiction?"  Man, it'll be beautiful.

There's potential to wreck college football as we know it.  That's the alarmist interpretation but not completely out in left field.  Should be interesting, regardless.

• Like 1

Aurora, the Air Force Academy's falcon mascot passed away yesterday.  You may remember her from about five years ago when a pair of Army cadets VERY stupidly kidnapped and injured her. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYE7PIFNhW92grRmHoyb4

She was 23.  And delicious. 

• Haha 3

I'm not sure I adequately explained how ugly Michigan/Iowa was.

Michigan kicked a field goal a bit under three minutes in. They scored a touchdown about three minutes later. Iowa got a field goal about three and half minutes into the second quarter. The final 42:25 of the game featured no points.

This was the second half

mr8dfo0qu5iqjwsglnze.png

Michigan desperately needed to win that game to stay relevant so...yay.  But I can’t imagine anyone left that game thinking Michigan can compete with any of the top teams left on their schedule.

Similarly,  both Auburn and Florida have supreme defenses, but they’re so dysfunctional at the QB spot, it’s tough to see them really challenging Georgia or Bama. 

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Michigan desperately needed to win that game to stay relevant so...yay.  But I can’t imagine anyone left that game thinking Michigan can compete with any of the top teams left on their schedule.

Definitely no optimism here, because unless the defense can do somehow do that to Penn State, ND, or Ohio.... Yikes.

But, they brought back a solid if not great QB, and three pretty good wide outs, and the big deal was supposed to be that they were actually going to throw the ball (they were 102nd in pass attempts last year.) And, the result is... This?

Like, the offense hasn't been particularly good since... A long a fucking time ago, but at least under Harbaugh it had tended to have a baseline competence that is just gone this year.

And, look, I was all in on hiring a younger offensive coordinator who could modernize the offense around Patterson and a good group of pass catchers. It seemed like a perfect idea, and I don't know if the problem is Harbaugh, or Gattis, or both, or what, but this is a disaster.

Hell, they only scored 4 more points on Rutgers than Maryland did.

At this point Rutgers should downgrade to the FCS.  They are the east coast Kansas right now in a conference that is twice as difficult.

After watching Texas against West Virginia yesterday unless that defense heals up quickly I figure Oklahoma will crush them next week.