DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

On the Fite stream, it stayed live while you were in break. Pac with some great Zbysco stalling before his match started. Riho and Nyla with some standing around waiting. But they were actually going at it pretty heavy for the bit of the match that took place while they were in break. It looked like Nyla actually made Riho pass out to the STF at one point, then she just released it.

The fans chanted We The People at Hager, even though the first thing he did after attacking the babyfaces was befriend two Puerto Ricans, a Canadian, and a half Cuban.

• Haha 5

I thought it was great.  It's their first show and first things first the production looks A1 and it's a hot crowd..  so right there it's more than what we're seeing week to week in WWE with 10,000 people sitting on their hands and you can hear a pin drop.  

Cody came off like a star.   Brandi obviously adds a lot being out there with him.   It was a much better match than I was expecting.  

The women's match wasn't great but I said Nyla was too green.    They should have signed Tessa Blanchard or Tenille Dashwood.  

Pac and Hangman was good.  

Main event was fine.   The Mox and Omega brawl was fun and that's all it needed to be.     Debut of Swagger is eh but they desperately need some size in that heavyweight division. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

The beatdowns went WAAAAAAAAYY too long.  And no, we didn't need nWo pt 2343452346534564576435665345 right off the bat.

And why the fuck did the Main continue when Mox nuked Omega RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REF????  Man, then did a bunch right then just, woof....

It always happens with Rick Knox and the smart thing to do would be to play off of Knox being so totally incompetent that anything can happen. I think he's been the ref any time matches have completely broken down.

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oh, and Swagger showing up at the end gets 0.5  "Luger standing in the Mall of America wearing a magnificent outfit"s out of 5. 

You rated it *that* high?

• Haha 4

Just now, Eivion said:

How was Nyla/Riho? Wonder if Riho will defend the belt in Stardom.

Not good, too long, finish stretch kinda brought it back but pin was out of nowhere.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

How was Nyla/Riho? Wonder if Riho will defend the belt in Stardom.

Way too long, sloppy at times because Nyla is green as grass, but Riho is such a compelling babyface that she had the crowd going crazy.

• Like 1

Tenille only just signed there though. She was free to go anywhere, so either Impact outbid AEW (unlikely) or AEW didn't make an offer so it was a choice between indies, Impact or NWA (assuming she's never going back to WWE).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Not good, too long, finish stretch kinda brought it back but pin was out of nowhere.

Just now, Craig H said:

Way too long, sloppy at times because Nyla is green as grass, but Riho is such a compelling babyface that she had the crowd going crazy.

Pity, might have dvred the repeat had it been worthwhile

Damn good first episode. Felt like one coherent show, unlike the first four B/R shows feeling like 5 people being on different pages. But it was a TV show first, and foremost. Commercials, angles, and ads for a PPV down the line. Pretty much what a TV wrestling show is on a network. It still felt professional, and they came off as such. The camera work, the commentary, and overall production was on point. They either got new people running it behind the scenes, or we need to look back at the first few shows as rehearsal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Oh, and poor Nakazawa.  His life had to be flashing before his eyes.

Nice job by Excalibur to cover up for it. "Double clutch power bomb!"

• Like 5

I see something there with Nyla, but she's clearly super-green. I get the idea that you put the smaller face over a monster heel, but Nyla's a terrible base at this point in her career. I don't know that I'd book that pairing for my first show on a new network. 

I found it odd that they would go on and on about how they're bringing back tag team wrestling and then only feature one tag match that immediately broke down into a shitty AAA type segment.  And on top of that, wow does that roster seem paper thin.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Both are signed to Impact

Tenille was available for a while and they had every opportunity to get her.  I think it's clear as day that the women's division is the weakest point.  

On the Swagger thing....  

Why do so many people in here hate him?  Yes,  he's not a big surprise lol.  He's not really an attraction despite being a former WWE Champion.  However,  he can wrestle and they need people to fill out the roster. 

Y'all in here acting like they just signed Mason Ryan.   

• Like 5

What's the deal with the OWE partnership? Is that all but dead at this point? I know they planned on Cima's group bringing a different change of pace to these shows, but they're not mentioned at all now.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

On the Swagger thing....  

Why do so many people in here hate him?  Yes,  he's not a big surprise lol.  He's not really an attraction despite being a former WWE Champion.  However,  he can wrestle and they need people to fill out the roster. 

Y'all in here acting like they just signed Mason Ryan.   

I don't hate Swagger. He's a perfectly fine wrestler. However, he has that "WWE castoff" stink on him still and should definitely not be anywhere near main event players or main event angles. 

3 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Seems weird that Rhio has Stardom's 4th or 5th most important title and AEW top title.  And she is booked for the tag league this month too.

Honestly, I thought it was weird that they gave her the High Speed belt in the first place. She is the most experienced wrestler working Stardom aside from Yoneyama. She is pretty good and young. She should by all rights be fighting for the white and red belts.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, I wish they kept Kevin Smith out there and I wish he was on the hard cam. He was going crazy for shit and it was pretty fun to watch.

He was out there during the Riho/Nyla match. 

@LoneWolf&Subs Goldenboy was the best third they've had so far, IMO.

Edited by Casey