DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Cutler is DOA sadly injury or not. You can't be jobbed out like that after the tongue lashing he received and months of bullying. Mjeff is a prick though and that was the point of the segment, to get him over. Success despite me never wanting to see Cutler wrestle again even though I am a fellow d&d nerdlinger. 

Turn Cutler into a Librarian. Problem solved.

Thoughts of being at the show live:

1.  Was the sound for this show really awful tonight or was it just live in the building?  Maybe the lower section people heard it fine but the upper deck people like me had trouble hearing anything.   They need to fix that issue if that was the case

2.  At about 7:30 I would say the crowd was about 70% full.   Lots of empty seats in upper deck.  made even more empty as I saw people literally go on ticket sites and buy closer seats at probably half price.  The company might have done well but the scalpers don't a fucking bath tonight

3.  I have no idea what the purpose of MJF vs Brandon Cutler was.  I guess for the heel promo in the beginning of the match because the match was never special and really felt out of place given the really fun dark matches we got

4.  LuchaSaurus, Orange Cassidy, and Lucha Brothers were very over with the crowd live among the non Elite guys.  Also it is funny while most are shitting on Riho vs Nyla it was probably the match with the most interest from the crowd.  Helps that Nyla is from DC and Riho is fucking awesome.  

5.  The Judas Effect is such a shitty finisher.  Maybe it looks good in slow motion but man it looks weak at full speed.  I can only imagine Jericho and Swagger doing their pretend MMA making Shane McMahon look impressive.  

Thought it was a really good first show.  I haven't heard much of NXT tonight but it sounds like it was a glorified Takeover and while great for tonight they can't do that forever.  They needed to build more heels and they definitely did that.  Now the worry like people have mentioned is that it doesn't turn into an NWO thing which given much of a mark the Bucks are for them that is something to worry about.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Thoughts of being at the show live:

1.  Was the sound for this show really awful tonight or was it just live in the building?  Maybe the lower section people heard it fine but the upper deck people like me had trouble hearing anything.   They need to fix that issue if that was the case

2.  At about 7:30 I would say the crowd was about 70% full.   Lots of empty seats in upper deck.  made even more empty as I saw people literally go on ticket sites and buy closer seats at probably half price.  The company might have done well but the scalpers don't a fucking bath tonight

3.  I have no idea what the purpose of MJF vs Brandon Cutler was.  I guess for the heel promo in the beginning of the match because the match was never special and really felt out of place given the really fun dark matches we got

4.  LuchaSaurus, Orange Cassidy, and Lucha Brothers were very over with the crowd live among the non Elite guys.  Also it is funny while most are shitting on Riho vs Nyla it was probably the match with the most interest from the crowd.  Helps that Nyla is from DC and Riho is fucking awesome.  

5.  The Judas Effect is such a shitty finisher.  Maybe it looks good in slow motion but man it looks weak at full speed.  I can only imagine Jericho and Swagger doing their pretend MMA making Shane McMahon look impressive.  

Thought it was a really good first show.  I haven't heard much of NXT tonight but it sounds like it was a glorified Takeover and while great for tonight they can't do that forever.  They needed to build more heels and they definitely did that.  Now the worry like people have mentioned is that it doesn't turn into an NWO thing which given much of a mark the Bucks are for them that is something to worry about.  

And they specifically avoided mentioning she was from DC so the crowd wouldn't cheer her. It was the one match I didn't really care about and it ended up being awesome. Also did you see the 11 year old kid cosplaying Cassidy? That was the greatest thing ever.

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Seems weird that Rhio has Stardom's 4th or 5th most important title and AEW top title.  And she is booked for the tag league this month too.

To be fair, Stardom isn't Riho's primary company. Her primary companies are TJPW and AEW.

Nakazawa's selling for the Nyla attack just killed me lol. That man is hilarious. Seeing the match as a whole now, super fun with a very generous crowd. Nyla has a lot of work to do but there is potential. Would've bet the farm on her winning too so this was a pleasant surprise. Riho is adorable and good enough. They do need an injection of talent in that division ASAP. All of the money for Tessa and two or three others. I'm happy with the roster outside of that and maybe David Starr. 

Main event angle worked but fuck off Hager. I'm excited for the follow up tags and some Dustin. 

Great crowd. Very envious of those of you in attendance. 

• Like 1

Skipped the main, but overall I found the show uninspired. It just felt too much like the WWE or Impact from a presentation standpoint and lacked much in the way of innovation. So outside of cherry picking matches i'll be skipping it the same as I do Smackdown/RAW. Thankfully the indies and international companies more than take up the slack for awesome wrestling.

MJF vs. Brandon Cutler was a perfectly acceptable wrestling match.  I'm annoyed that MJF hasn't worked with that much purpose when he's booked on MLW, but I imagine his inspiration comes from how many zeroes are before the decimal instead of after it on his paycheck.

Oh well.  A man's gotta eat, I suppose.

I am glad that PAC is heelish in this fed.  Evil Neville > Good Neville.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I generally liked the show. I thought the production values looked good, and it was refreshing to have a TV show that wasn't constantly cutting to the back for invisible cameraman skits or vignettes. One match ended, and instead of going to the back, they go to the next match, or they show a promo or advertisement for an upcoming event.

I thought Nyla Rose vs. Riho worked, and it built to the finish well.

The announce team sounded crowded to me. Yet again, not a huge fan of three-man teams. It seems that Tony and JR haven't hashed out their roles and how they are playing this yet. And then you brought in Britt and had three people. Just unnecessary IMO.

34 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I cannot wait for Tony to call somebody a slapdick. Mjeff is in his crosshairs.

Well, he did call him a prick, which made me laugh. It also immediately made me wonder about Tony calling him a slapdick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

MJF was a prick, PAC was a bastard. Like I said, Tony got a potty mouth

They even apologized for going backstage for that 30 seconds or less of Jericho and LAX. 

Excaliber has his job down. Tony and JR were fine. 

Yeah, I lost my shit with Excalibur doing color commentary although him being there just makes me wish that Rivera from EPIC was there instead of Schiavone.

"Texas is a terrible, terrible place, Rivera.  You might as well live on the street if you live in Texas."

- Excalibur riffing on American Dragon during the America Dragon / Super Dragon match for the EPIC TV Title..

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I generally liked the show. I thought the production values looked good, and it was refreshing to have a TV show that wasn't constantly cutting to the back for invisible cameraman skits or vignettes. One match ended, and instead of going to the back, they go to the next match, or they show a promo or advertisement for an upcoming event.

Let’s see if they find on their upcoming travels, a grifter, with the gift of gab to be their Mean Gene conducting live entrance area interviews.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

7be2892f4920a189-600x338.jpg

I know Just For Men is doing some heavy lifting, but Tony's looking good. 

To reiterate what I said a few unread pages back, he was one of the best things on the show.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about two old men and a guy in a not particularly good mask.  A masked man in a suit can look bad ass, but Excalibur hasn't nailed that yet. The suit's wearing him.

Edited by ComingToAmerica