DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He was actually surprisingly complimentary of the show overall. Lots of praise for Cody. But who isn't adding their voice to that chorus these days? 

triple-h.jpg

Goldenboy is going to be calling Full Gear, with JR and Excalibur. Schiavone has a prior commitment.

Yeah, that's not surprising. Tony calls sports on the weekends, so if they wanted a 3 man booth they always needed a 4th man to rotate in. Golden Boy is damn good for not having a wrestling background though. A little too corny at times but he's like a 2 or 3 on the Riccaboni scale.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, that's not surprising. Tony calls sports on the weekends, so if they wanted a 3 man booth they always needed a 4th man to rotate in. Golden Boy is damn good for not having a wrestling background though. A little too corny at times but he's like a 2 or 3 on the Riccaboni scale.

If Tony can get that day off for I'm assuming UGA vs. Mizzou, hopefully they never have a show on the same day as Bedlam because they will be down two men in the booth.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

His nervous energy is impossible for me to watch for extended period of times. I'm glad he does those as transparency and openness to whatever wrestling journalism exists is cool but I just can't do it. He's significantly less sketchy in one-to-one interviews.

• Like 2

I just noticed on TNT’s streaming app that if you upload episode one of Dynamite the graphic for the show displays Chris Jericho & The Lucha Bros Vs. Omega & The Young Bucks appears when the video loads. I wonder if that was the original match months ago before they signed LAX.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Earl Hebner is really distracting at his age in a match. Not sure how old he is, but getting down and up to count takes ages and he looks like he’s selling real aches and pains in doing so. 

Meltz wasn't saying anything we couldn't see but he commented on how much pain Hebner is in a while ago. Not good and the sooner he retires the better. Live on that sweet bootleg t-shirt money.

35 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Earl Hebner is really distracting at his age in a match. Not sure how old he is, but getting down and up to count takes ages and he looks like he’s selling real aches and pains in doing so. 

Trying watching some of the ancient CMLL refs like Pompin. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

So 'Disdain'  - consider to be unworthy of one's consideration.  Hate - feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone).  Both seem to apply.

I completely agree on the art work.  I also find Cornette funny from time to time.  But listening to the above is like being forced in tight to listen to a couple of loud assholes rant on public transit.  Listening to this man speak, it is clear Jim has some deep insecurities - ever heard Jim rant about hating 'change'?  Not just in wrestling, but in general.  I think this stems from passion for his industry, but failing creatively in most every head position (ROH, OVW, WWF) he's had since Smokey Mountain.  Which SMW was fun, but looked and felt prehistoric even in its time.  He talks a confident game, but behind that giant ego is no doubt some heavy sadness.  

Further, at this point, laughing and carrying on like Omega is some useless piece of trash is like criticizing Bill Murray for not being funny. 

P.s. Highly recommend both All That Jazz and Lenny from the Bob Fosse catalog.

Not saying you are wrong, just genuinely curious about this. Leaving ROH and WWF out of the equation, why would you say he failed creatively at OVW? As someone who was a big fan of OVW in that time period, I thought they had very well booked, old school style story telling that worked well for a regional developmental group. Yes, if you put the exact same style of TV on a Raw or Smackdown it would die a flaming death but for what it was I loved it. How did he fail there?

*I don't want to derail an AEW thread with Jim Cornette debate so if this discussion needs to be held elsewhere I apologize

• Like 1

Having listened to the show...he was pretty complimentary of the first show. Keep in mind, there is the caveat that he even added that there was no Janela and Orange Cassidy etc. which I didn't noticed really until he brought it up. Plus, if you noticed, he basically gave Omega a compliment at the end because he didn't like that they made Omega look weak the end of the show since he is one of their main guys. Besides the Riho/Nyla Rose match and Excalibur still wearing a mask, his only complaint was that they need to shorten up the matches just a tad bit and ending at the high point rather than add more false finishes. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Bringing up OVW just reminded me of the fake Southern fed that the WWE cooked up on a lark for those comedy bits, what was the name of that fed again? South-something Championship Wrestling?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

As someone who was a big fan of OVW in that time period, I thought they had very well booked, old school style story telling that worked well for a regional developmental group. Yes, if you put the exact same style of TV on a Raw or Smackdown it would die a flaming death but for what it was I loved it. How did he fail there?

*I don't want to derail an AEW thread with Jim Cornette debate so if this discussion needs to be held elsewhere I apologize

That's completely fair.  As they say 'to each their own'.  I find Cornette's booking very formulaic.  Which is fine, and in the wrestling industry better than the norm.  Where Jim really misses the boat is presentation.  He has a very limited and dated idea of what a wrestler and match and show should look like.  And absolutely no connection to the current (trends, pop culture, etc.) or for lack of a better term 'what's cool'.  I saw OVW quite randomly, so I wouldn't be surprised if a run of really good episodes passed me by.  I did see the episodes leading to Heyman's takeover, and to me those shows were night and day.  Heyman's being fun and exciting and far more interesting - all things missing under Jimbo.  The performers seemed to come alive after being so flat and pedestrian under Corny.  All that said, Jim's got a rich history of knowledge and could likely be a good consultant to a booker/booking team. 

• Like 2