DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Since I was at NXT last night, I missed the show live so I watched it on DVR. Overall, I enjoyed it. I loved the look of the show as the whole production was very professional. I really enjoyed seeing a clearly motivated Tony Schivonie with Excalibur. Compare that to his MLW stuff and it's like night and day.  Even JR was fine for the night.

Riho/Nyla was pretty good. First time seeing Nyla and she has potential. She reminded me of what Nia Jax should have been booked like.  Riho was great as the underdog.

The six man was good with advancing the story. It got me excited to see Mox vs Omega. LAX looked like they belong with the Bucks. Nice to see Dustin back.

Only part of the show I didn't like was most of the first hour. Cody vs Sammy was pretty pedestrian for a first match of a new promotion's tv.  Of course, Brandi had to get involved in some way. I hope she doesn't go the Stephanie route but I have a feeling she will. MJF/Cutler was ok I guess. The stuff with Kevin Smith and Jack Evans was embarrassing. WWE gets rightfully bashed when they do something like that so AEW should to.  I thought PAC/Hangman was bad. Bastard Pac is an awful character and I don't think I will ever get the Hangman hype. He might be better as a heel.

Thing that stood out to me the most about the AEW rating.   They were #2 on the night across cable in the 18-49 demo and they actually had a better rating in that demo than Smackdown.  That's surprising to me.  AEW really did bring new fans to the table.  Now they have to keep them of course and keep going. Fun times. 

This was my first time to watch a wrestling show mostly-live since...what was the second year of WWE Network doing Wrestlemania?  Because it's the first since then. (I've watched NXT off and on, but usually binging 10-12 eps in a week and then falling off again).  It was fun, didn't blow me away but I'll definitely be back next week because the tag tourney has too many people from the days when I was buying five DVDs a month from Highspots.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think Scorpio Sky is a future champion. Dude can work his ass off, talk, and has a good look. He's another "how did WWE miss on this guy" type of person.

As I recall, he was on their radar (he was Harold in the Team Hell No anger management skits), but they publicly cut ties after it came out that he'd made a load of tweets using the word "f*ggot" and within a week he was appearing in TNA on an X Division special 

You know even though they acknowledged  the long gap between the end of WCW, and the first episode of Dynamite, I still wanted some more on that. Like maybe a shot at the top of the show of waves hitting the sand, the sound of seagulls, and kids playing in the beach. But then you see the water unearthing a mysterious sign that turns out is the old TNT logo, and a hint that it’s connected to something else, then bam you cut to the intro.

6 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

As I recall, he was on their radar (he was Harold in the Team Hell No anger management skits), but they publicly cut ties after it came out that he'd made a load of tweets using the word "f*ggot" and within a week he was appearing in TNA on an X Division special 

There's a compilation of AJ Styles using the word. Okay that wasn't recently, but he was rolling his eyes on Crowder not so long ago.

(Edit: mostly about the Gillette advert, which I thought was stupid tbf also. But still I don't recall him even mildly rowing back on anything, it feels like a double-standard is in operation here)

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Thing that stood out to me the most about the AEW rating.   They were #2 on the night across cable in the 18-49 demo and they actually had a better rating in that demo than Smackdown.  That's surprising to me.  AEW really did bring new fans to the table.  Now they have to keep them of course and keep going. Fun times. 

In my case they reeled in a pro wrestling fan who hasn't watched a wrestling program start to finish since 2007, it was good enough to get me to watch next week.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

There's a compilation of AJ Styles using the word. Okay that wasn't recently, but he was rolling his eyes on Crowder not so long ago.

(Edit: mostly about the Gillette advert, which I thought was stupid tbf also. But still I don't recall him even mildly rowing back on anything, it feels like a double-standard is in operation here)

Oh there definitely is, AJ gets the pass of being the "Good ol' Southern Boy, that's just how they talk! Nudge, nudge wink, wink"...  Fuck that, there's no excuse for anyone using pejoratives of that nature in 2019. Hell, there was no excuse for it twenty years ago. I've always thought it a damn shame that AJ wasn't in the WWE when Dustin was at his most over-the-top as Goldust: licking dudes' legs, simulated kissing, etc. would have been funnier than hell to watch AJ freak out in such situations. AJ needs to be in a couple of matches with one of the dudes that likes to check the oil (if you know what I mean, and I'm sure that you do).  Pity AJ came along too late to work with Johnny Valentine; whereas the Rock was fond of talking about shoving things up other peoples' asses, Mr. Valentine was a man of action, not words. ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Oh there definitely is, AJ gets the pass of being the "Good ol' Southern Boy, that's just how they talk! Nudge, nudge wink, wink"...  Fuck that, there's no excuse for anyone using pejoratives of that nature in 2019. Hell, there was no excuse for it twenty years ago. I've always thought it a damn shame that AJ wasn't in the WWE when Dustin was at his most over-the-top as Goldust: licking dudes' legs, simulated kissing, etc. would have been funnier than hell to watch AJ freak out in such situations. AJ needs to be in a couple of matches with one of the dudes that likes to check the oil (if you know what I mean, and I'm sure that you do).  Pity AJ came along too late to work with Johnny Valentine; whereas the Rock was fond of talking about shoving things up other peoples' asses, Mr. Valentine was a man of action, not words. ?

I mean, Scott Hall legit was pissed that he was the first guy to work with that character, and it showed in a lot of his promos. So we got our shoot homophobic wrestler during that period.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 minutes ago, happjack said:

In my case they reeled in a pro wrestling fan who hasn't watched a wrestling program start to finish since 2007, it was good enough to get me to watch next week.

With the exception of NJPW (when they're showing something I'm particularly keen on seeing), I can't recall how long it's been since I actually set the alarm, had dinner ready, the cats occupied with new toys, and Kathy dutifully taking mental notes on who everybody was as she was only really familiar with Jericho and Cody and to a much lesser extent Kenny, Penta, et al (Kenny she knows as "the guy that makes weird faces" and Penta as "that guy you like from Lucha Underground that likes to break peoples' arms". 

I'm not sure what everyone seems to see in Hangman Page, but I'm not feeling it. Affter watching this stuff for close to fifty years, I think I've developed a pretty good sense of when someone has "IT" and when someone doesn't. For me, Page falls into that Bobby Lashley category of "competent enough, but as exciting as watching paint dry", there's just no "there" there. I don't know how long they're going to stick to this experiment of pushing him as a main-eventer, but wiser heads need to prevail and pull the plug. Not only does Page not have "IT" now, there is absolutely nothing in his demeanor or ringwork to lead me to think that he ever will have "IT". When you've got a roster filled with more charismatic and far better workers (PAC, as an example), the continuing efforts to polish a turd is just baffling. Okay, he's better than that, but not by much, if there was ever a guy whose whole persona screamed "Mid-card 4 Lyfe", it would be Hangman Page.  I remember the beginning of Jericho's career as well as that of Bret Hart, both were saddled with high expectations and horrible gimmicks. ("Lionheart" Chris Jericho, anyone? "Oh, we've got a skinny dude that hasn't bulked up yet, let's have him wear PINK! That's a great idea!" Even with crapola like that, you could see that both guys had "IT", buried deep in the beginning , but "IT" was there; you knew that Hart really considered himself one of (if not THE) greatest Canadian athletes; you could see that Jericho (silly lifts in his boots or not) was hungry to be a star and would ride out any gimmick, no matter how stupid in order to get close enough to grab that brass ring. I see none of that with Hangman Page, instead I see a pretty bland, competent mid-carder who is as forgettable as a bowl of corn flakes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I mean, Scott Hall legit was pissed that he was the first guy to work with that character, and it showed in a lot of his promos. So we got our shoot homophobic wrestler during that period.

IIRC,  Hall also was the first recipient of the leg licking, which is what really set him off. Considering all of Hall's antics over the years (in ring and out) I find it very difficult to conjure up much sympathy for him. Hall's just lucky that he hit on the Razor Ramon character when he did, otherwise he'd have still been wandering around with Verne Gagne poking alligators with a stick. (Bonus points to anyone else who remembers "Gator" Hall).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Oh, its absolutely a double standard. But in Scorpio Sky's case the answer to the above question "how did WWE miss on this guy?" is that they became aware of homophobic tweets that he'd made and publicly stated he no longer worked for the company when asked about it. I would be genuinely interested if anyone has ever asked them about AJ, and how they'd respond.

I watched the highlights on mute on Youtube and I know that's like the barest minimum of following anything but I would note that every match seemed to have at least a dive to the outside, a cutter variation and an avalanche something or other.  I would be concerned that if everyone does these things that they won't be important in a few weeks of television or will at least make the house style be too similar from match to match.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Oh there definitely is, AJ gets the pass of being the "Good ol' Southern Boy, that's just how they talk! Nudge, nudge wink, wink"...  Fuck that, there's no excuse for anyone using pejoratives of that nature in 2019. Hell, there was no excuse for it twenty years ago.

The "Eminem defense" 20 years ago was "oh,  that's not what it means in our culture, it means something different"   I'm happy that we seem to be mostly beyond that and most people understand how awful and hurtful the word is. If someone is saying it in 2019 then sorry they deserve what's coming to them whether it's losing their job, etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

I watched the highlights on mute on Youtube and I know that's like the barest minimum of following anything but I would note that every match seemed to have at least a dive to the outside, a cutter variation and an avalanche something or other.  I would be concerned that if everyone does these things that they won't be important in a few weeks of television or will at least make the house style be too similar from match to match.  

I forgot what interview it was but Matt and nick were saying that they watch each show multiple times and make a list of things that need work and then bring it to the team. One of the things they brought up is guys doing the same spots, same finishers etc. they want everyone to stand out and they are working on that. 

Hot damn was there a lot to read about this.  Felt like I was reading reactions to Summerslam or something with how long it took.  But after being off work yesterday (and mostly unplugged) I'm hoping not to post stuff said many times.

I'll get the bad stuff out of the way.  Watching it back the camera cuts during matches gave me WWE vibes and I'm not fond of that.  I hope they change it so we can see more moves shown on one shot and if they must have a different angle show it in a replay.  I also hate that Hager's part of this and if not for the show being awesome would have checked out.  I haven't looked into it much but if what's been said is true about his views then that's going to be a weird fit for what they're going for.  Then again if they're going to be inclusive then as long as he's not being an ass to anybody I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what happens.  But that aside I just don't care for him and his LU stuff left a lot to be desired.  I also felt bad for Cutler who not only was made to look like a chump in the build but was trounced rather quickly.  Watching it live we though he had a leg injury leading to a quick finish.  But that wasn't the case on TV.  And I felt they had a good idea with the Smith/Mewes segment but while the first half was fine the second felt incomplete.  But watching Smith freak out throughout the whole show was really cool.  And as said before he was taking selfies on his way to the VIP area and I so wished I was on the floor to take part.  Can't wait for the movie to come out.  Oh, and I felt bad for the women's dark match being quiet.  I love that I saw Bea Priestly and Alllie live but it just didn't work out.  I believe they lowered the volume on the ring mics and it made it seem flat.  Just keep that as it was for TV.

As you could probably tell Wednesday there was a lot of emotions going on when seeing the place live.  So many things over the years have built up to this and it took a bit to get my head into the show.  it started with friends who haven't seen wrestling in awhile all interested in watching the show.  Then it went to that day where I was talking to non/lapsed fans at a bar and seeing their interest in the show increase.  To say there was a buzz both here and at/around the show would be an understatement.  Walking in it was incredibly surreal to see an arena full of people with merch stands and everything and it was not for a WWE show.  The energy didn't really let up until the first two after-show dark matches.  While the TV show needs to introduce little or not known talents it was obvious live that they knew and believed in the people they were watching.  The "Thank you Cody" chants might seem odd to some but considering what he and the rest have set out to do he deserved every bit of that superstar reaction.  On top of that you had huge chants for Luchasaurus and as the kid in the front indicated Orange Cassidy was pretty popular as well.  I also feel really happy to say that we finally saw Pentagon Jr live.  Cero F'N Miedo, man.

What also made it special was for the first ever my wife was legit more excited about this than I could ever be.  She is a fan of Cutler for the D&D stuff and is an especially huge fan of Nyla.  So we were cheering for her but was happy to see Riho win.  In all my time watching wrestling with her I've never seen her fully invest into a company like she has for AEW.  So this is going to be an incredible ride for us and we're doing our damndest to get the word out.  Thankfully those we know that saw it so far have really liked it and some have said they'll be sticking around.  Considering they checked out from WWE it doesn't get much better than that.  And holy shit that ratings breakdown is unreal.  I'll still gladly watch NXT but damn does it feel good to care so much about a show like this.

• Like 7

MJF vs Cutler was cut out of the version that aired on ITV4. But they did show the 'picture in picture' segments fullscreen.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Yes, Hollywood was an absolutely magnificent heel.  

Cornette's got nothing but HATE for Omega and I don't see how any of that translates to him having a sense of humour about it.  

I think it's disdain rather than hate, a subtle but important difference which is clearly on display here (some of the artwork on that channel is glorious):

The irony is that Jim Cornette is actually enjoying watching Kenny Omega at this point - and is basically consciously Statler and Waldorfing AEW. He knows who the good guys are.

So 'Disdain'  - consider to be unworthy of one's consideration.  Hate - feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone).  Both seem to apply.

I completely agree on the art work.  I also find Cornette funny from time to time.  But listening to the above is like being forced in tight to listen to a couple of loud assholes rant on public transit.  Listening to this man speak, it is clear Jim has some deep insecurities - ever heard Jim rant about hating 'change'?  Not just in wrestling, but in general.  I think this stems from passion for his industry, but failing creatively in most every head position (ROH, OVW, WWF) he's had since Smokey Mountain.  Which SMW was fun, but looked and felt prehistoric even in its time.  He talks a confident game, but behind that giant ego is no doubt some heavy sadness.  

Further, at this point, laughing and carrying on like Omega is some useless piece of trash is like criticizing Bill Murray for not being funny. 

P.s. Highly recommend both All That Jazz and Lenny from the Bob Fosse catalog.

Edited by HarryArchieGus