DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I don't really think these numbers are surprising since it was a curiosity show with a lot of buzz.  To parrot Dave a little, six months from now or a year from now, will it be the same?  I imagine it's going to drop off a little but not to the point of that 500K number TNT was happy with.  They seem to be good for a bit, as long as the quality doesn't go off a cliff anytime soon.  Maybe NXT can hire Russo or something to complete the trifecta of 90's bookers.  Vince will definitely throw more stuff on NXT though.

I thought Dynamite was a fun show which didn't disappoint but I was expecting some sort of wild Young Bucks/Lucha Bros. style match.  This thing has got me caring for a product again and I like that, and I'm in going forward.

Well, we have new players in town.

Of course AEW won the first scuffle, that much was expected. AEW more than doubling NXT in the 18-49 demos is big.

With USA forking out $50 million a year for NXT,  WWE are going to dip heavily in their arsenal for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick

NXT was virtually unchanged in the 18-49 demo from last week and lost "only" 115K total viewers. (And - via "reporters" - USA is very happy with the number they are getting from NXT)

The biggest story of the ratings was again confirming that there are two separate audiences (and tangentially how many people the WWE ran off)

• Thanks 2

That's the crazy part. In all of these years WWE lost all of these viewers or these people saw wrestling as that much of a binary choice and nothing WWE did could get them back.

And the scary thing for AEW is that if there isn't that much crossover between the companies and fans were willing to just give up on wrestling before then they could just as easily do it again. At least WWE has whatever their core audience is, which is a floor of just under 2 million viewers across Nielsen homes (larger in reality, obviously).

6 minutes ago, Hagan said:

So, where’s the new goalpost being moved to now?

Most of what I am seeing (and most of it is being said in jest... though a lot of truths are said in jest) is some version of

"Trying running on Mondays nights!"

I’m very late to the party with AEW.  I just watched the All Out show and I have a question.  I wasn’t impressed with Adam Page, at all.  He seemed very generic and sloppy.  Was it just this match, or is he just kind of average?  What are some of his standout matches?

2 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

I thought Dynamite was a fun show which didn't disappoint but I was expecting some sort of wild Young Bucks/Lucha Bros. style match.  This thing has got me caring for a product again and I like that, and I'm in going forward.

I think that’s going to be a focus in the coming weeks with the tag tournament, there’s only so much to showcase on the first night.

in terms of what was missing, I think Omega and Moxley should both have been featured for longer and more prominently given they are #2 and #3? behind Jericho as top stars.

Double the industry expectations has to be good for them. Yes there is the curiosity factor this week, but if they sustain the interest week to week they are bound to hold 60-70% of that audience, in the advertiser friendly demo too, and the next TV deal will put them in the black or on the way there. Which would mean an alternative for many years to come.

Also the OC cos player is maybe the most wholesome wrestling moment in recent memory. 

• Like 2