DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Ratings stuff from Dave

It's very tricky because these are only a few specific markets and don't include either New York or Los Angeles. But if we compare with the preview show, these ratings would indicate 1.5 million to 1.7 million viewers for the live airing and 650,000 for the taped show. I believe the actual number for the live show may be lower because these numbers are skewed by a freaky large number in Charlotte.

My big issue is that show seemed way too heel-heavy. I think every segment ended with the heels on top, and the babyfaces looked dumb most of the time.

The in-ring action was solid, though, and it was good to hear Tony Schiavone call wrestling again.

Swagger is still painfully mediocre and if you missed his LU run, he's exactly the same with or without the WWE format.

17 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I can dig some Corny heel humor (I'm certainly not offended like many), but his opinions on the Bucks and especially Omega are petulant.  I could dig the Olivier thing if Cornette had a sense of humor regarding it on his end. 

To be honest, I think Cornette does have a sense of humour about it. Kenny Omega is explicitly non-naturalistic in his approach, which is anathema to Cornette. I mentioned Nicholas Cage because he has also explicitly rejected naturalism - at least as the only valid form of acting; he has explicitly talked about doing 'western Kabuki' - and Omega is coming from a similar place. So Cornette's only really doing to Omega what many people have done to Cage - both are based on a narrow view of 'how things should be'; too narrow imo, but understandable.

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 2

quick thoughts (not that anybody reads these this far into the thread):

Cody/Sammy was my match of the night, which i did not expect. Cody can by over-indulgent sometimes, but he's IMO the MVP of AEW.  Heel beatdown was fun through the commercial break, but i really liked Sammy's reactions to the whole ordeal.
MJF/Cutler was short and fine. the quick ending did make me wonder if Cutler had a legit injury. MJF is money on the mic.
Jay & Silent Bob got a pop out of me, but the Angelico/Jack Evans and Private Party stuff felt forced and i didn't care.
SCU-Lucha Bros faceoff was a solid build.
PAC/Hangman Page was really quite good but was hurt by the commercial. the right man won, but i was into this the whole time. Page is really growing on me.
Riho/Nyla Rose was fine. i see a lot of mixed reactions, i'm on the more negative side. Probably just personal preference, but i can't get into Nyla Rose matches. She's just not good. Britt Baker on commentary was a non-issue. Did she add anything? finishing stretch was the highlight and the right person won. crowd reactions were crazy for this. Heel beatdown was ok, Kenny making the save was a neat moment.
Jericho&LAX/Omega&Bucks was weird. the Moxley appearance was awesome as was the crowd brawl and glass table. the non DQ also took me out for a minute. the 3-on-2 bulk of the match was fun. liked the finishing stretch and again the Judas Effect looked solid here. the post-match beatdown went too long but whatever. Hager was a groan for me. no interest in that dude whatsoever.

looking forward to next week. the first hour plus i felt like a 9 year old again, huge smile pasted to my face.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

RE: The Kenny/Mox sneak up in the ring. That is a ridiculous trope in wrestling but one that almost always gets over to the live audience. I remember a Big Show/NWO Hogan one that was completely over the top and completely bananas.

Hell yeah. Hollywood was so great at stooging and there were several instances of him cowering like that. As much (very well deserved) shit as he got at the time for being a wildly insecure primadonna and his matches going way longer than they had any right, Hollywood Hogan the character was a magnificent piece of shit heel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Was it just me or did the ropes seem way too loose? It seemed like there were numerous times guys lost their footings on the ropes. 

I really enjoyed the show and presentation. There were a few hiccups but overall everything looked really slick and fresh. 

Im definitely not crazy about Hager, but it’s all where they go from here. I’ll give it a chance. But I think it’s annoying that they’ve done so much talking about not being the Wwe castoff company, learning from wcw and tna, etc. and we have Tye Dillinger and Jack Swagger in prominent roles right out of the gate. There’s going to be a bunch of roh free agents soon, you’ve got impact, maybe they can get someone interesting from japan. By next year there will be much more interesting people from Wwe who will be able to leave. 

Yes, Hollywood was an absolutely magnificent heel.  

36 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

To be honest, I think Cornette does have a sense of humour about it. Kenny Omega is explicitly non-naturalistic in his approach, which is anathema to Cornette. I mentioned Nicholas Cage because he has also explicitly rejected non-naturalism - at least as the form of valid acting; he has explicitly talked about doing 'western Kabuki' - and Omega is coming from a similar place. So Cornette's only really doing to Omega what many people have done to Cage - both are based on a narrow view of 'how things should be'; too narrow imo, but understandable.

Cornette's got nothing but HATE for Omega and I don't see how any of that translates to him having a sense of humour about it.  His hate is based on Omega's earlier DDT run which seems sorta prehistoric at this point.  Omega is a product of his era, and I don't see too many if any better.  I dunno, I've been on a kick of watching post show Omega promos from NJPW and they're just so fun and funny.  To each their own of course, I'm just glad I don't watch him and see what seems to me to be a jealous nonsensical view. 

As for Cage, he should be split into eras or the roles he played to showcase his worth and those he took the money to do.  Watch Wild at Heart and tell me he wasn't absolutely incredible.  He was an excellent young actor.  Even mid-era you have Adaptation which isn't the preconceived notion of what ppl who have only seen his 'cash' action fare label him as.  His performance in Bringing Out the Dead also seems terribly underrated.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, matt925 said:

Was it just me or did the ropes seem way too loose? It seemed like there were numerous times guys lost their footings on the ropes. 

I really enjoyed the show and presentation. There were a few hiccups but overall everything looked really slick and fresh. 

Im definitely not crazy about Hager, but it’s all where they go from here. I’ll give it a chance. But I think it’s annoying that they’ve done so much talking about not being the Wwe castoff company, learning from wcw and tna, etc. and we have Tye Dillinger and Jack Swagger in prominent roles right out of the gate. There’s going to be a bunch of roh free agents soon, you’ve got impact, maybe they can get someone interesting from japan. By next year there will be much more interesting people from Wwe who will be able to leave. 

Pac wanted to kill the top rope after almost eating shit twice (his springboard 450 is usually a thing of beauty, last night it looked like an average indie wrestler's attempt as he clearly lost his footing). That shit is dangerous, particularly for their roster and is nearing inexcusable.

• Like 1

Another thing! I know TK let it slip that it's a stable but I would prefer if the babyfaces and heels all kind of hung out and had each others' backs like back in the Crockett day. You don't need 100% congruity there but a general sense that there are two locker rooms and they looked after each other, one to outnumber the other group and the other to save each other from dastardly attacks, would be a great way of setting up your show. The board has (rightfully imo) long pined for that and loathed the Vince McMahon great man of history theory/individualism that he's pushed dating back to Hogan being a shitty friend/acting heelish.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

As for Cage, he should be split into eras or the roles he played to showcase his worth and those he took the money to do.  Watch Wild at Heart and tell me he wasn't absolutely incredible.  He was an excellent young actor.  Even mid-era you have Adaptation which isn't the preconceived notion of what ppl who have only seen his 'cash' action fare label him as.  His performance in Bringing Out the Dead also seems terribly underrated.  

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Cornette's got nothing but HATE for Omega and I don't see how any of that translates to him having a sense of humour about it.  His hate is based on Omega's earlier DDT run which seems sorta prehistoric at this point.  Omega is a product of his era, and I don't see too many if any better.  I dunno, I've been on a kick of watching post show Omega promos from NJPW and they're just so fun and funny.  To each their own of course, I'm just glad I don't watch him and see what seems to me to be a jealous nonsensical view. 

Not sure I'd consider it a "jealous nonsensical view" as Cornette was successful in pro-wrestling (made a ton of money, was one of the hottest managers during his time, has been a booker, on air personality, managed one of the best tag teams ever, etc). I would however say Cornette is a grumpy old man that is overly passionate and obsessive about pro-wrestling which is what I believe leads to his disdain for Kenny and co.

For what it's worth -- Cornette's rant on Kenny where he stumbles to say "otaku weeaboo" is one of the funniest wrestling clips on YouTube.

But yea, this thread isn't about Cornette.

lol, WWE is shook. Running opposite AEW, putting on a Takeover quality show this week, Finn Balor a full time NXT member, and then send that passive aggressive bullshit/backhanded compliment talking about it being a marathon after they must've been trounced. Quality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

lol, WWE is shook. Running opposite AEW, putting on a Takeover quality show this week, Finn Balor a full time NXT member, and then send that passive aggressive bullshit/backhanded compliment talking about it being a marathon after they must've been trounced. Quality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12