DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I really liked the show.  It didn’t reinvent the wheel or anything, but I think everything worked as intended.  I was really surprised at how smoothly and efficiently the show ran, given the issues they’ve had on PPV.

I was actually really into Nyla/Riho.  Exceeded my expectations for a Nyla match by a long shot.  I guess you could argue that it went too long, but the fact that the crowd was red hot for Riho to win at the end suggests that it didn’t.

Was also surprised how much I liked Cody/Sammy.  Most I’ve probably ever enjoyed a Sammy match.  Loved the way it flowed into the stuff setting up Cody/Jericho and how that stuff tied into the main event angle.  (I suppose the rationalization for why Dustin didn’t come to Cody’s aid here is because it was mano-a-mano.  Cody’s a big boy who can fight his own battles.  When it turned into a gang beat down, that’s when big brother had to step in.)

MJF’s debut was pretty much perfect.  Loved how he didn’t do anything that might get a pop.  I always assumed Cutler was going to be used as a job guy, like Nakazawa, so he’s fine.

As far as the main event angle goes...The truth is, they needed a heel stable to balance out the fact that all the top baby faces are in a stable together.  And this one seems fine.  As long as Hager is primarily used as a heater for Jericho, I see no problem with him being a part of this.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Darby beat CIMA in a dark match that sounds like it should have been on the show.

Except for the women's match they all could have been on the show.  Especially Lucha Brothers, Jack Evans, Angelico vs Private Party and Best Friends.  Almost everyone in that match got a really good reaction face or heel.   Jack Evans is a great asshole whether he is meaning it or not.   if he wasn't in a tag team he could easily replace Sammy at the X pac of the group

Kenny saving Riho makes great sense if you know the history of the two.   I have to say that Brit Baker does nothing for me.   If I could describe her on TV watching back and her dark match live it is LOW ENERGY.   They could put Brit and Alex Marvez together and nobody would ever have problems sleeping again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Oh he knows and based on his twitter page last night,  Tony Khan is going to have a field day trying to weasel his way out of Swagger's past and current opinions.   

I dunno man. The Khan family donated seven figures to Trump's inauguration back in 2017. 

AEW can make a big show out of rejecting conservatism and selling the idea that they are more inclusive, the reality is Tony Khan is still eating from his Dad's pig trough. It's a sleight of hand.

AEW was astroturfed from the very beginning. 

Anyway I HATE politics on this board. It's the reason I was almost banned. Let's focus on the wrestling and why Brandon Cutler was booked to be such a loser. 

• Haha 2

he was booked as a charity case before the show even occurred.  Brandon was very important in the Young Bucks early career and this was treated as a "pay it forward" kind of thing.  it is a good story but the Cutlers were never guys in PWG that were main roster people.  The purpose was to make MJF look like a scumbag.  he didn't really need Cutler for that  but mission accomplished.   

• Like 1

Cutler has two contracts, one is way more valuable than the other. I doubt he cares if he's used as enhancement talent.

Apparently Awesome Kong has two contracts as well - she's also a producer in the women's division. She was the agent for the dark match women's tag team match.

The AEW show last night was fantastic. The storylines are starting to emerge with some of them being short term stories and some of them being long term storylines. Page at some point turns heel and I think we might see a little bit of an imbalance on the roster favoring the heels but we shall see. I love Riho. She is a tremendous baby face who will for now always get the crowd behind her in her matches. 

Hopefully Darby Allin gets some air time next week. The young man is a budding superstar. MJF is a moneymaker, a ratingsmaker for AEW. 

I can’t wait for next week. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Oh he knows and based on his twitter page last night,  Tony Khan is going to have a field day trying to weasel his way out of Swagger's past and current opinions.   

I mean, it's Bix being petty as always.

He said "not to stir sh... up, but here's some tweets Hagger liked." OK, and? Does Hagger not have a right to like what he wants to like, believe in whatever it is he wants to believe in and carry his own opinion without getting hammered for it?

Imagine if Dick Murdoch was alive and working for AEW in 2019 with the mentality he had in 1986...

Edited by Edwin

The commentary was okay, but JR drives me nuts. He seems inclined to jump on every weak cover or wasted moment like he's critiquing the show in real time rather than helping enhance what's on screen. Tony got walked into that trap a couple times, mostly with JR's help, but he seemed to be more into the spirit of this thing. JR's there as a recognizable voice, but the (boomer) sooner he's gone, the better for me.

I also sensed Britt giving JR the brush off at one point, which amused me.

MJF tossing his gum the way he did was great. Still, moneymaker? Ratingsmaker? Let's wait for him to actually do something first.

To anyone saying they can't run big matches and TakeOver-esque shows on NXT forever, I say you're wrong. Finn was just the beginning. They can throw bodies at this problem for as long as they need to.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The commentary was okay, but JR drives me nuts. He seems inclined to jump on every weak cover or wasted moment like he's critiquing the show in real time rather than helping enhance what's on screen. Tony got walked into that trap a couple times, mostly with JR's help, but he seemed to be more into the spirit of this thing. JR's there as a recognizable voice, but the (boomer) sooner he's gone, the better for me.

I also sensed Britt giving JR the brush off at one point, which amused me.

MJF tossing his gum the way he did was great. Still, moneymaker? Ratingsmaker? Let's wait for him to actually do something first.

To anyone saying they can't run big matches and TakeOver-esque shows on NXT forever, I say you're wrong. Finn was just the beginning. They can throw bodies at this problem for as long as they need to.

The problem then becomes that it's just like Raw or SD. Nothing is special or unique. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

The problem then becomes that it's just like Raw or SD. Nothing is special or unique. 

The atmosphere is still unique. They don't often use the same high-profile matches every week. The buy in from the audience is completely different. I don't see how using main roster talent changes that. 

Send Bryan down there for a few months, and nobody should be complaining about the fresh matches lined up around the block.

I mean, they do that now every single week on Raw and SD. Who cares about throwing bodies at the problem? Again, the issue is still the same. If you paint everything as a big match or a dream match and you do that too often then nothing is a big match or a dream match. At that point, it's just a match.

• Like 4

Not AEW related, but someone on Reddit (I know...) said Walter/Kushida was a dream match and I had to laugh. That’s scraping the bottom of the “dream match” barrel, and I like both people involved (moreso Walter, though).

When you have a bench as deep as they do, you can keep the right aura for quite a while before you need to worry about that, Craig. Even if they aren't all legit "dream matches," there's a fresh, buzzy show there that they can ride for years. They can blind with bullshit for ages.

We should probably move this to the other thread. But I think it's nice that they can hit a different panic button on any given week and toss up something crazy like Randy Orton vs Pete Dunne.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

One thing I did like is that they said "undefeated Bellator MMA star Jake Hager" which really went a long way with me because I would definitely be shitting on it way more if they brought him in, let's say doing a watered down version of his stuff with Dutch

It'd be better if Hager's wins were against people that had more skill than "a notch below CM Punk".

• Haha 1

We're all sleeping on getting to see Dean Malenko again during one of the fight break-ups (I forget which one). I immediately thought "C'mon, don't hit the guy with Parkinson's..." Which is actually not bad in theory, heel sees Dean, decides to cool it because he doesn't want to react. 

I liked this show for the most part, timing issues aside. That'll get hammered out as time goes on and shit, Raw still has that from time to time and they've been on the air forever.

I think Hager brings a big, strong, hoss (especially when compared to the rest of the roster) and I wouldn't be too worried about the TNA/WWE castoff vibe because of his ability in-ring, his new MMA persona, and I think some type of belief from a chunk of the audience that he "wasn't used properly" in WWE (whether that's valid or not.) To get him over you just have him beat the hell out of everybody, say very little, and it's mission accomplished.

Riho is great - Nyla needs a whole lot of seasoning but you can tell she checks a lot of boxes and thus won't be going anywhere any time soon. I might have tried to find a way to get Britt involved in that beatdown as a respectful save to set up something down the line (instead of Kenny or Nakazawa) but that's just me.

I did wonder why the Main wasn't a DQ once Mox attacked Kenny. I do like the idea of refs having their own individual standard of discretion for DQ's and countouts but that seemed egregious. The same thing could have been accomplished by having the match end in DQ and the teams keep brawling which leads to the run-ins instead of the match continuing in a non-sensical way to have everybody get their shit in.

Cutler's a jobber. I'm not sure why it's so confusing to some people. Every wrestling company needs 'em and it seems like Cutler is totally fine filling that role (especially with his other contract.) He gets to wrestle in front of big crowds on TV and get paid for it - part of his dream. With BTE, the countdowns, and all the other content they're producing, they can put together little backstories to the squashes... I'm okay with that.

Surprised that PAC won but glad to see it. Low blow finish leads to at least another match between them, which is fine. 

Love Smith and Mewes and I know what they were shooting for with that little segment but its effectiveness relies almost solely on timing and that was totally screwed up. Plus it doesn't really help to get Evans and Angelico over - the whole gimmick of not being able to get a win is going to wear thin (if it hasn't already.)

The show sets a good foundation - will be tough to maintain the hot crowd going forward but very interested to see how it goes from here.

Edited by chanandlerbong
words

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Not AEW related, but someone on Reddit (I know...) said Walter/Kushida was a dream match and I had to laugh. That’s scraping the bottom of the “dream match” barrel, and I like both people involved (moreso Walter, though).

This is why I hate 90% of other wrestling fans. What a shitty elitist thing to say. Why can't that be a dream match for someone and why put them on blast somewhere else to anonymously mock them?  What's gained? 

We're getting so much great wrestling now in a time where dream matches across the board can be made. Could be Titus O'Neal vs Noam Dar, who cares? Skip it. Shitting on someone for being excited for a match is such garbage behavior. 

Yeah, yeah "Welcome to the internet", why be not awful when there's message board likes to get?

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Would make for the perfect beginning of a build to War Games. Cody/Kenny/Bucks/Dustin v. Jericho/LAX/Hager/Guevara

That was my first thought.  I also think whomever mentioned the stable situation in NJPW has hit the nail on the head for their inspiration and where they're likely going.  I expect soon a Moxley stable of those who lack a conscience (great call JR).  Tho, perhaps Mox ought to be a lone wolf.  

6 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Kenny Olivier lol. Love him or hate him, Cornette kinda nailed him with that one.

(tbf I think he's more like Nicholas Cage - nouveau shamanic, presentation acting)

I can dig some Corny heel humor (I'm certainly not offended like many), but his opinions on the Bucks and especially Omega are petulant.  I could dig the Olivier thing if Cornette had a sense of humor regarding it on his end.  Omega is obviously a phenomenal athlete and in ring performer.  And his promo ability is so good and often so fucking funny - without losing the point.  It must really suck to watch this guy and not get it.  

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

One thing I did like is that they said "undefeated Bellator MMA star Jake Hager" which really went a long way with me because I would definitely be shitting on it way more if they brought him in, let's say doing a watered down version of his stuff with Dutch

Another great call. 

This show was sooo fun!  I think I got caught up in the crowd heat for that Cody-Guevara match.  I thought it was fantastic!  The production really upped the ante from the first 4 shows.  Which is no surprise.  Time and patience.  The same thing I reason for bellyachers concerning the few mistakes here and there.  With that much quality action and that high a fun factor I can't possibly nitpick minute portions that didn't work.  Awesome show, and feel so fortunate to be able to enjoy TV Wrestling again for the first time in nearly two decades.  

Also, commentary was the best it's been.  Excalibur and JR were both far stronger, and Tony really surprised me.  

• Like 7

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

And they specifically avoided mentioning she was from DC so the crowd wouldn't cheer her. It was the one match I didn't really care about and it ended up being awesome. Also did you see the 11 year old kid cosplaying Cassidy? That was the greatest thing ever.

Yeah I sure "Pockets" will never get over to the mainstream ?

8x4lgqvnjcq31.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Like 10