DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I DVR'd the show and watched it all the way through. Besides a few iffy spots, I really enjoyed this show. I wonder how much the crowd played into it though. It's going to be hard to keep up this level of intensity week after week.

I think, at least my hope is, that by the time the crowds get more casual that the booking has allowed for some well built matches to be going down. The only matches that should've been great last night in hindsight with booking in mind were the opener and Page and Pac. Main event was about the two big angles. The opener delivered while the other was a bit disappointing though still good. I'm very happy they aren't hotshotting a bunch of big singles matches like NXT because that's not sustainable. Good, long term, sensible booking should really help with crowd engagement in the long run. Established characters and good booking will go a long way. If they are giving us quality tag matches on the reg like it's early 90s WCW I am so into that. There are a lot of permutations I'm excited to see coming out of last night they could run for months. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

EF8Itb2WwAEgKgs?format=jpg&name=small

For context: While the show was in break after Cody vs Guevara, Jericho stole a ringside camera and took a couple of photos. This is the other one:

EF8ItbmXYAITsbw?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Kenny Olivier lol. Love him or hate him, Cornette kinda nailed him with that one.

(tbf I think he's more like Nicholas Cage - nouveau shamanic, presentation acting)

I will give Kenny credit for at least having a clue that someone probably Moxley was behind him.  That is something in wrestling that seems really stupid especially when there is a huge wall at times.

• Like 7

Tony's been good about not showing his cards during these scrums, but he let one slip at 4:00, (not a great stretch to presume what he said was the case anyway), you can see the look on his face. Also, he does like the 'I'm a little teapot' stance.

As for the show, pretty solid, slick and restrained, with plenty left for future spotlights. It would have been great to have a 5-minute fired up Moxley promo, or just a couple more promos in general. But they seem to know what they're doing and it bodes well for the weeks to come.  

Edit to add: I'm glass half full on Jake. He complements the roster physique-wise and even in the 'surprise debut' role he wasn't presented as the top star. I have a feeling he will slot in at a level commensurate with his talent/charisma (big enforcer for the heel stable). 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Don't let @Bix see this...

Jesus, seriously, he is the absolute worse.

Oh he knows and based on his twitter page last night,  Tony Khan is going to have a field day trying to weasel his way out of Swagger's past and current opinions.   

Also, unless the purpose of bringing in Earl Hebner is because you need an old in the way fossil in a match like last night  I don't know why he is here.  AEW might have one of the best referee rosters in the business and he is definitely not needed.   

Edited by hammerva

I'm reserving judgment on Hager til we have a better idea of what the story they're trying to tell is. 

He's big, which they need more of, and he's damn fine in the ring. Got some accolades both legit and WWE. Recognizable, to a degree.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say my knee jerk reaction was like, wow this went from zero to TNA real quick.

Again, I LIKE Swagger. My issue is more with the placement of that on the card, post main event -- if you wanna use him, that's great. He'd make a great midcard WCW "Hey shit isn't that Repo Man?" kind of guy. He's gotta be rebuilt as a shooter or whatever before being elevated there. If wins and losses matter, get him on a hot streak out of nowhere. This was just a tad too close to the "We know who that is!" treatment for my tastes. 

Can definitely say I didn't see that coming, that's for sure. 

I thought it was a great show. That crowd was fantastic. 

MJF is great, but he's going to be really great in a little while. When he gets that Rock-at-Deadly Games title win in a year or two, it's gonna be a shitload of fun.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

EF8Itb2WwAEgKgs?format=jpg&name=small

For us photography nerds...You know, for taking a selfie with a D-SLR, and one that looked like it had a telephoto lens on it, this came out surprisingly well. The depth of field he managed to get on a selfie was pretty impressive.

• Like 6

I only got to see the second hour and I thought it was good. The production values were excellent, which I thought was important and a decent mix of matches/storyline set-up for the future. To me, this will be the important thing moving forward and I am interested to see where it goes.

1. The commentary was fine and I could tell they were aiming for the "sports" presentation.

2. I didn't mind the show closing angle as they  have to get something going from a (relatively) cold start.

3. I could care less about Jake Hagar being in WWE prior. Show me what you got going forward.

I am a simple guy. Give me the wrestling and a reason to tune in next week without all of the annoying nonsense.

• Like 3

Overall, I really liked the show. I thought Cody/Guevara got indulgent with the inverted superplex. That’s part of Cody’s matches that always loses me, he’ll have a fine match going and then ramp up to an epic main event ending almost out of nowhere, like there’s 7 minutes missing from the middle of the match when he earns that level of killer move. Riho/Rose came off fine on TV but I agree that Nyla is pretty green for her position. Page/PAC was good too.

The main event... man, I don’t know. I was into the Moxley/Omega brawl and the glass table spot got a legit pop from me. But after that, after talking shit about him not long before the show, to see Hager show up was immediately deflating for me. AEW has built up enough good will with me that I’m willing to see where it goes but this dude has been skippable in every promotion I’ve ever seen him in. Hopefully I’m proven wrong.

• Like 1

I got excited when they did a little vignette before Guevara and Cody thinking we’d get a UFC style build to every match. Sadly, no.

I don’t think I get Sammy yet. Not sure what he’s about, and he’s awful flippy and little to be all too heeling. 

Cody is awful. Just can’t stand his shtick. He’s a meta-babyface and it’s lame. Also, both of them doing kinda ugly Oz Cutters in the same damn match is retarded. Sammy going for the handshake after he threw dudes wife in front of him is only slightly less dumb than Cody accepting it. 

The Jericho beatdown that went on forever was ridiculous. It’s like, oh shit, we went to commercial! Keep it going! Where was Dustin then? Putting on his makeup? Powerbomb onto chairs and he’s running in the main event? Dumb.

Brandon Cutler doesn’t look major league. MJF is the best dude they have on the mic. Why isn’t he in the main event crew? Why is he friends with Cody? Why is he making fun of D&D when he cosplayed Star Trek with a dog last time we saw him? 

Kevin Smith / Jason Mewes / Jack Evans / Angelico / Private Profits made no sense. 

Page v. PAC was good. PAC should be the next challenger to the title. Page is okay but he needs a serious blood feud to really get me invested.

I loved Riho v. Nyla. That finishing stretch probably saved the match, but it was great. Don’t know we needed another beat down after the match but I loved the “double clutch” powerbomb. Kinda dumb that Kenny made the save and not Dr. Britt.

Main Event was bizarre. I have no idea what the rules are where random dude can show up in full view of the ref, beat up a guy in the match and eventually Death Rider him through a glass table and not get DQ’d. I don’t love the Young Bucks so the the main event was there. Liked a clean finish, and then the silly run-ins. I don’t mind Jake Hager, but I hope he’s more Jack Swagger with the eagle mascot than super serious. Also, one gutwrench powerbomb is enough. Don’t need to bring in a breakaway table that doesn’t break. 

Overall it was great. Let’s see if it can keep going. Now, where was Janela, Darby Allin, and all the other interesting dudes? Where were the other women? 

12 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

One thing I did like is that they said "undefeated Bellator MMA star Jake Hager" which really went a long way with me because I would definitely be shitting on it way more if they brought him in, let's say doing a watered down version of his stuff with Dutch

Still want Hager vs. legless dude. Put an ankle lock on him Jake!

• Haha 1