DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

If you're a exhausted ex/current WWE viewer, the last thing you would want to see is one of the old relics of the early 10's showing up as your big surprise to feud with Goldust. I can see why people would be sour about it. 

Has Swagger acquired enough clout in the MMA world to establish himself as a name? I haven't been following.

I'll give him a shot. 

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't hate Swagger. He's a perfectly fine wrestler. However, he has that "WWE castoff" stink on him still and should definitely not be anywhere near main event players or main event angles. 

If he was having 10+ minute matches on WWE Main Event every week a lot of people would be saying "Oh poor Swagger.. he's being so misused!"  

Tomko was a castoff.  Ted DiBiase Jr. would be laughable.  Swagger actually has some talent.. 

People have mentioned here that Swagger has said some far-right shit publicly, I guess? Which I wonder if there will be blowback over them hiring him due to that. 

I really liked the cam looking through the buckles. You know somebody is gonna do a Santito-style corner tope at some point right over it. 

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Pity, might have dvred the repeat had it been worthwhile

You should still watch it if just to see Riho bump her ass off and avoid letting Nyla kill her. She took Nyla to a good match, but it just went long.

2 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

If you're a exhausted ex/current WWE viewer, the last thing you would want to see is one of the old relics of the early 10's showing up as your big surprise to feud with Goldust. I can see why people would be sour about it. 

Has Swagger acquired enough clout in the MMA world to establish himself as a name? I haven't been following.

I'll give him a shot. 

Your takeaway from that was that he's going to feud with Dustin?

2 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

I would say "no."  I only see Bellator when they are in Connecticut but I'm pretty sure @Elsalvajeloco said he's been fighting ring crew members and hot dog vendors. 

People saying the end was a homage to the NWO, you might want to hold the phone on that. I've been thinking... the issue with the roster is, you've already got one stable of wrestlers (The Elite), and it's the top babyface tag team and the top three babyface singles guys. If you're a heel looking at that, the first thought in your head is "Going to need some backup". But anyway, they just came from New Japan, yes? That is booked on the basis of endless wars between rival factions, yes? So, maybe if the Elite is AEW's Main Unit, then you've got Alpha Club (who did the beatdown tonight), Moxley could recruit Janela and those lads, and also Blanchard-Gun. That totally works.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If he was having 10+ minute matches on WWE Main Event every week a lot of people would be saying "Oh poor Swagger.. he's being so misused!"  

Tomko was a castoff.  Ted DiBiase Jr. would be laughable.  Swagger actually has some talent.. 

Eh, at one point Teddy was a solid worker and it would make sense given his history with Cody. 

Loved the opening, Cody coming off like the man as usual with another showstealer. Massive pop for his entrance. Pretty great match with Guevara. I thought it was stupid when they had Sammy lose on that preshow match awhile back, even moreso now with him in this position. Tony on commentary was the best.

Riho looked great. I see nothing in Cutler. They're building Pac up great, but I was surprised they had Page go down again just like that. Main event was good despite the no DQ with Moxley. I always liked Hager so I don't mind him being in the mix. Overall a pretty good show with nothing terrible on it. Looking forward to where they go from here.

• Like 3

We’ve got the makings of a pretty good ten man in a few weeks time, and I buy Jericho more in a stable. I’m not seeing the negativity.

Women’s match spending so much time teasing a chair shot was ridiculous. They should try to poach every Impact talent that becomes available.

Decent show. Good energy. 

• Like 3

On the mention of Tenille, I believe she only signed a short-term deal with Impact through this month. Of course I do hope she ends up staying there longer as I feel it's her best bet to have the spotlight on her and especially if they end up putting the title on her.

Thoughts:

Enjoyed the presentation. Fun seeing wrestling in front of a loud, excited crowd, instead of folks looking like they're being held hostage.

Sammy Guevara could be something one day. He's definitely someone they should focus on developing.

MJF is going to be a STAR. I'd still stick a heater with him, at least temporarily. Probably Ryback. 

Kevin Smith being there is extremely on brand for this audience. He seemed super into it.

PAC/Page was pretty good. Glad PAC got his issues taken care of and is somewhere where the most eyes can be on him.

The women's division just isn't real deep. Those were probably the two women with the least name value. Priority number one should be getting Tessa Blanchard and Tenille under contract ASAP. 

I despise Kenny Omega's pretentious "performance art" style, so watching Mox put his face through a glass table was a personal highlight. Dug that 6 man. Old school shit. Get your champ on tv without defending the title. Dug the Hager debut. Say what you want to about his quality of opponent, but being undefeated in professional MMA is nothing to sneeze at and a good way to build credibility. He's always been solid when motivated and this company could really use some bigger guys. 

All in all, I dug the show. If Brock wins Friday, I'll be done w WWE for a while. No desire to watch the same shit. Already downgraded Raw to youtube clips. Don't give a shred of a shit about anyone on nXt's roster. Nice to have a presentation I enjoy. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They should, but they should be scouting more Wardlow types who are unknowns with potential. They should also open up a Dojo to develop their own loyal guys.

and poaching from ROH; particularly Marty; PCO; Brody King; Bandido; Mark Haskins; Tracy Williams; Jeff Cobb

I would have also jumped on trying to sign Dragon Lee now that he's free.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie