DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - WILDCARD/DIVISIONALS

Dolfan in NYC

Once again, we are at the start of the second season.  

Tomorrow night: Milwaukee @ Washington   

Wednesday night:  Tampa @ Oakland 

(I'm assuming the game is in Oakland to avoid MLB's embarrassment for having a playoff game in front of 11,000 people.)

On Friday, the MIL/WAS winner goes to LA.  The TAM/OAK winner goes to Houston.  Also, Minnesota has been chosen to job for the Yankees, and St. Louis goes up against Atlanta.  

Everyone should be rooting for as many postseason games in Oakland as possible.

You know you want Joe Buck to be drowned by a surge of clubhouse sewage during the trophy presentation.

(Manfred too)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Everyone should be rooting for as many postseason games in Oakland as possible.

You know you want Joe Buck to be drowned by a surge of clubhouse sewage during the trophy presentation.

(Manfred too)

Buck and Manfred should be drowned in sewage anytime of the year, not just the playoffs.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 9:49 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

On Friday, the MIL/WAS winner goes to LA.  The TAM/OAK winner goes to Houston.  Also, Minnesota has been chosen to job for the Yankees, and St. Louis goes up against Atlanta.  

This is incorrect

The NL Division Series both start on Thursday. The only thing that changes depending on WC winner is start time (basically if Milwaukee wins - the two NL games on Thursday start a hour later

Everyone plays Friday

Only the AL plays Saturday

Only the NL plays Sunday

The 1910s were the last decade that the Yankees didn't reach the World Series. It was also the last decade that no New York team won it all. Just in case anyone's rooting for history to be made, or broken, or whatever.

Just to be a pedant, technically next year is a part of this decade.

If you're talking just ten year stretches, the Yankees went 13 years between 1981 and 1995 (not counting the strike year) and 11 years between 1964 and 1976.

2 hours ago, elizium said:

If you're talking just ten year stretches, the Yankees went 13 years between 1981 and 1995 (not counting the strike year)

And guess what year I started rooting for them (hint - it was 1981)

Thank God for the NY Football Giants during my childhood 

3 hours ago, elizium said:

If you're talking just ten year stretches, the Yankees went 13 years between 1981 and 1995 (not counting the strike year)

Not to be even more pedantic, but it was 1996.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And guess what year I started rooting for them (hint - it was 1981)

Thank God for the NY Football Giants during my childhood 

Even without the World Series, being a Yankees fan during the 80s seems like it would have been quite the fun trip. Mattingly's sweet stache, Steinbrenner having Winfield tailed, that random Rickey Henderson interlude, the pleasures of saying Righetti or Pagliarulo....

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

The tradeoff for New Yorkers at the time was likely also dealing with Mets fan finally being able to Lord it over people that they had the best team in the city. 

Um, I'm thinking you forgot about arguably the most celebrated team in baseball history and that period from 1969-1973.

8 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Fred Snodgrass, Leon Durham, and Bill Buckner have some company now ?

Just for the record, (and I'm sure Tabe will back me on this), Buckner was a fantastic player, what people don't remember is that he was bandaged up like a mummy that game he had so many nagging injuries. He really had no business on the field, but he had a manager that wanted all his star players active and that's exactly what you got. Buckner at about 30% trying to play as though he wasn't hurting.

18 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Just for the record, (and I'm sure Tabe will back me on this), Buckner was a fantastic player, what people don't remember is that he was bandaged up like a mummy that game he had so many nagging injuries. He really had no business on the field, but he had a manager that wanted all his star players active and that's exactly what you got. Buckner at about 30% trying to play as though he wasn't hurting.

and Calvin Schiraldi & Bob Stanley had already blown that inning wide open anyway and always deserved just as much if not more blame for that inning falling apart.

similarly, even if that kid had played the ball with perfect fundamentals it was still a game tying hit.

but errors make better highlights (lowlights?) so that's what these things get reduced to.

Edited by BobbyWhioux

OAK sold every goddamn seat in the house for tonight's game, including the eyesore that is Mount Davis. 55K and some change taking their cues from those lunatics in the RF bleachers is going to make for some fun stuff.

13 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

OAK sold every goddamn seat in the house for tonight's game, including the eyesore that is Mount Davis. 55K and some change taking their cues from those lunatics in the RF bleachers is going to make for some fun stuff.

NARRATOR VOICE: "It wasn't."

This is probably the best description of the game:

Yanks have left CC off the ALDS roster so the possibility is high he has thrown his last pitch

(James Paxton is starting Game 1, Masahiro Tanaka Game 2, Luis Severino Game 3)