DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

Report: Davis-Santa Cruz PPV draws 200K-225K estimate

NOVEMBER 4, 2020 BY JASON CRUZ

According to The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger the Showtime PPV between Gervonta Davis and Leo Santa Cruz drew between 200K and 225K buys.  The event took place on Halloween this past Saturday.

Davis used an uppercut to knock out Santa Cruz in the 6th round.

The KO verified Davis as a solid fighter in the Super Featherweight divison.

The buy rate is very good although there are indications that it may have done better than the reported estimates.  Even if the estimates are conservative, the PPV has to be considered a success for Showtime.  It was the second boxing PPV in as many months and was happening on Halloween which may have had some casual fans heading out even with social distancing restrictions. 

Showtime did a fine job of promoting the event with two All Access 360 episodes as well as having Floyd Mayweather be the mouthpiece for Davis. 

This has to be considered a big success considering Gervonta never headlined a PPV before.

• Like 1

Boxing's most lucrative fighter is officially a free agent.

Canelo Alvarez has been released from his contract with Golden Boy Promotions and DAZN, sources told ESPN's Salvador Rodriguez. After many days of negotiations, representatives for Canelo and Golden Boy Promotions have reached an agreement to release the four-time champion.

The situation ends a dispute between the middleweight champion, Golden Boy and DAZN that spilled into court. In September, Alvarez filed a lawsuit in federal court citing a breach of contract on an 11-fight, $365 million deal signed in 2018. A subsequent mediation situation between all parties failed and the suit was refiled after a technical error.

A source told Rodriguez that Alvarez and his team are targeting a return to the ring Dec. 19 against IBF super middleweight titlist Caleb Plant, who fights for Premier Boxing Champions.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/30267275/sources-canelo-alvarez-free-agent-released-golden-boy-dazn-contract

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He's a free agent, but who's got the cash to sign him? I'm sure Top Rank wants him, but when there won't be fans in the arena, how do you justify paying him? 

If Dana White really wants to do Zuffa Boxing, this is his moment.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They spent 27 minutes debating a decision they were gonna make ANYWAY.

Boxing, ladies and gentlemen.

Seriously. If one were to look for the decline of boxing, this is an excellent example for just one of many reasons. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

As someone not watching this and I only watch a big boxing fight and not even then as I much prefer MMA to boxing, what's happening?

I only caught the end of the replay thankfully, but a title fight in the co-main event ended due to an eye closing up. The referee claimed it was from a headbutt but there was no headbutt that could've done it shown in the replays. Took forever and an eternity to look at replays* and they didn't overturn the ref's incorrect decision. Again, I was getting food and not really paying attention and that edible is dropping rn but I think that's what happened.

*See below:

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I only caught the end of the replay thankfully, but a title fight in the co-main event ended due to an eye closing up. The referee claimed it was from a headbutt but there was no headbutt that could've done it shown in the replays. Took forever and an eternity to look at replays* and they didn't overturn the ref's incorrect decision. Again, I was getting food and not really paying attention and that edible is dropping rn but I think that's what happened.

*See below:

Thank you, @Jiji!

29 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That might be it for Crawford with Top Rank. We'll see.

That might be it for Kell Brook. The fights with Gennady Golovkin and Errol Spence Jr. did a right number on the eye sockets of Brook.

Edited by The Natural