DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

Boxing doesn't have a great history of getting aid to fighters before they desperately need it. It's more reactive than pro active, which is sad because most of these physicians have jobs with these commissions for years and years. Go back and watch fights in Nevada or California or New York state. There are names you hear from fights in 1984 that you still hear in 1999. I don't think that's some coincidence. I'm sure England is probably the same way. There is no excuse to have a Maxim Dadashev situation in 2019, but it happened. Not only did it happen, but it occurred under a major boxing promoter. Matter of fact, there is no reason for a Magomed Abdusalamov situation to happen in 2013. But they still happen. 

I was watching a fight from 1994 where one of the commentators is talking about the new procedures Nevada is implementing after the death of Robert Wangila/Napunyi and how the ringside doctors/physicians are going to be more keen of certain signs/symptoms. However, all of it comes off as spin control and being a prisoner of the moment. Once that moment passes and people forget, it's back to the usual. Boxing has had a horrific track record of handling these ordeals. 

• Like 1

I was wondering why Mugabi never fought one of the big names of the golden generation of middleweights after the incredible Hagler fight. I thought maybe Hearns and Leonard were ducking him and maybe Hearns did before moving up and vacating the light middleweight belt, but apparently Mugabi gained weight after both the Hagler and Thomas losses, taking extensive time off then had to rehab his name a bit, right? Looks like he was fighting a bum of the month, taking on 10 fights over '88 and '89. By that point, Hagler had long been retired, and both Leonard & Hearns were on the decline. Too bad we didn't get to see Mugabi and Hearns fight, as that would've been a crazy slugfest. Not sure Hearns could've taken that uppercut Mugabi landed on Hagler in the 5th I believe it was. Leonard would've probably been able to avoid most of the power shots I'm guessing. 

Terry Norris seems to be the guy that bridged the two generations of great fighters, beating Leonard and Mugabi then Meldrick Taylor. Wikipedia makes it sound like the Norris defeat is what really stopped Taylor's career. Was he the same after the first Chavez fight? He moved up in weight but was he as quick? Did he have that same confidence? Either way, I need to watch some Terry Norris. Also gonna throw in some David Tua in there. Gotta love some of the screen captures for the Tua fights on YouTube with his opponent looking like they're taking a nap in the middle of the ring. I WONDER HOW THIS ENDS.

13 hours ago, Jiji said:

I was wondering why Mugabi never fought one of the big names of the golden generation of middleweights after the incredible Hagler fight. I thought maybe Hearns and Leonard were ducking him and maybe Hearns did before moving up and vacating the light middleweight belt, but apparently Mugabi gained weight after both the Hagler and Thomas losses, taking extensive time off then had to rehab his name a bit, right? Looks like he was fighting a bum of the month, taking on 10 fights over '88 and '89. By that point, Hagler had long been retired, and both Leonard & Hearns were on the decline. Too bad we didn't get to see Mugabi and Hearns fight, as that would've been a crazy slugfest. Not sure Hearns could've taken that uppercut Mugabi landed on Hagler in the 5th I believe it was. Leonard would've probably been able to avoid most of the power shots I'm guessing. 

When Mugabi came back in 1988, he had a (brief) promotional pact with Don King. Arum and King weren't enamored enough with each other to co-promote outside of mega bouts and enforcing mandatory bouts on title holding fighters from the respective rival stable. In addition, he was super high risk for the level of popularity associated with his name. He was essentially stuck between two worlds. He came around too late to really make an impression against the best fighters from the previous generation, and too tough for the new crop of guys coming up. 

Terry Norris seems to be the guy that bridged the two generations of great fighters, beating Leonard and Mugabi then Meldrick Taylor. Wikipedia makes it sound like the Norris defeat is what really stopped Taylor's career. Was he the same after the first Chavez fight? He moved up in weight but was he as quick? Did he have that same confidence? Either way, I need to watch some Terry Norris. Also gonna throw in some David Tua in there. Gotta love some of the screen captures for the Tua fights on YouTube with his opponent looking like they're taking a nap in the middle of the ring. I WONDER HOW THIS ENDS.

Taylor was a victim of the success by other members of the 1984 Olympic team (namely Evander and Pernell). In addition, another Olympic cycle had just ended. After the first fight with JCC, he was carefully managed back up the ladder. He was still fast, however, he still got hit way too much in those fights. That's just who he was. It was gonna be difficult to kinda re-legitimize himself because he wasn't gonna get away with that against better fighters (meaning not necessarily better fighters than himself but ones better than those on his comeback trail).

• Like 1

I am going to make a rough list of fights that Showtime, Fox, and DAZN announced a couple days ago either sometime this afternoon, this evening, or tomorrow. However, that's likely going to garner the most attention anyway.

You would think after the stuff with DAZN that people would stay away from the Youtuber avenue, but here we are. Never gonna learn.

Apparently, this is Mike Tyson's outfit. Did Mike not lose enough money with Iron Mike Productions? That lasted for about a year and some change.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

There was talk of James Toney vs. TITO ORTIZ before Tito said no. Good for him, as that wouldn't have gone well. What other freak show fights can we get? Jose Conseco? Dustin Diamond? 

They say they're not going to go for KOs but can Tyson fight without doing that? Like he's just going to sit and get out jabbed by Roy for 8 rounds? I wonder what price they'll slap on this thing too. 

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Like he's just going to sit and get out jabbed by Roy for 8 rounds

Yes? That or Mike accidently KOs Roy which is entirely possible. 

I wonder how DAZN feels because this pulls away attention from Canelo vs. some no hoper they were planning to Mexican Independence weekend. They've made a big deal about it not being someone particularly good. How many folks are going to be that interested in another Rocky Fielding type tuneup?

I would take that list with a grain of salt as Derevyanchenko is already slotted to fight Jermall Charlo as that fight was announced yesterday for 9/26. Hence, the list I was gonna post.

Jason Quigley seems to be the most likely person to get that fight right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to making a tentative fight schedule for the rest of 2020, which is definitely subject to change:

August 8: Thomas Dulorme vs. Jamal James (Fox)
August 15: David Benavidez vs. Roamer Alexis Angulo (Showtime); Carl Frampton vs. Vahram Vardanyan, Michael Conlan vs. Sofiane Takoucht (ESPN+); Cecilia Braekhus vs. Jessica McCaskill (DAZN)
August 22: Dillian Whyte vs. Alexander Povetkin, Katie Taylor vs. Delfine Persoon (DAZN); Eleider Alvarez vs. Joe Smith Jr. (ESPN); Shawn Porter vs. Sebastian Formella (Fox)
August 28: Javier Fortuna vs. Jorge Linares (DAZN)
August 29: Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Pistol (ESPN)
September 12: Egidijus Kavaliauskas vs. TBA, Miguel Marriaga vs. Joet Gonzalez (ESPN or ESPN+)
September 19: Erickson Lubin vs. Terrell Gausha (Showtime)
September 26: Jermall Charlo vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko, Jermell Charlo vs. Jeison Rosario, Brandon Figueroa vs. Damien Vasquez (Showtime PPV)
October 3: Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez (ESPN or ESPN PPV)
October 10: Sergey Lipinets vs. Kudratillo Abdukakhorov (Showtime)
October 24: Gervonta Davis vs. Leo Santa Cruz (Showtime PPV)
November 21: Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia (Fox PPV)
November 28: Chris Colbert vs. Jaime Arboleda (Showtime)
December 12: Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire (Showtime

Joshua vs. Pulev is supposedly being made for December 5 or December 12. We'll see.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

No Inoue fight yet, eh? Disappointing but October 3rd and November 21st are big fights. Also I'm interested in seeing how Derevyanchenko does. He was a tough out for GGG, but was that mostly on GGG being washed or is Derevyanchenko low key good? 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

No Inoue fight yet, eh? 

I'm guessing it's going to be in September at the earliest, but not against a name fighter. It looks like John Riel Casimero moved on due to having to take a reduced purse for the fight. Top Rank is supposedly doing a whole bunch of shows after Eleider Alvarez vs. Joe Smith Jr. through September with seven fights on each card. If we don't hear any news about Inoue soon, it will probably be towards the end of the year unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Also I'm interested in seeing how Derevyanchenko does. He was a tough out for GGG, but was that mostly on GGG being washed or is Derevyanchenko low key good? 

Little from column A and a little from column B. With that said, Jermall is better than the Korobov performance and TBH the Brandon Adams fight. He fights down to the level of his competition. When he's suppose to have a big performance, he usually delivers. Problem is he is libel to give up some tight rounds, which would be advantageous to Derevyanchenko. This is the first pretty good middleweight he's faced since moving up from junior middleweight after the J-Rock knockout. I favor him, but I don't expect a cakewalk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That is gross. So much weight whiplashed down on the edge of the ring.

Man, I missed Taylor-Persoon II due to the NBA game and other shit.

Whyte did all that talking for so long just to get taken out by a shot or close to shot Povetkin. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco