DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't know why, but the last couple of weeks I've been thinking back on this and wondering how the hell a pro wrestler hasn't stolen this yet:

Don't need to be a wordsmith obviously. Just entirely self-assured to the point of an arrogance supreme.

At the time it drove me nuts but it's such great heeling. Like all time shit.

Besides rehashing the Roger Mayweather mexican colors/sombrero deal vs. Chavez, the best non elbowing in clinches heel tactic Floyd ever did was somehow finding Andre Berto's then girlfriend (now Berto's wife or fiance I think) in the crowd and blowing her a kiss which in turn led to her flipping Floyd off. That was awesome.

During one of his most recent retirements, during fight week for I wanna say Badou Jack vs. James DeGale, Floyd tried to befriend James DeGale (as Badou's promoter of record which is funny enough) and hang around him or w/e. It should be noted James is managed by his very attractive sister Eloise.

DeGale saw through that very easily and had one of the most real talk moments of any athlete's career by explicitly saying that Floyd only got close to him so he (Floyd) could fuck James sister. I was ROFL when I saw that on Boxing Scene. Usually, Floyd has comebacks for everything but on that one he got caught redhanded and never said anything about it.

Floyd Mayweather trying to get DeGale's sister to join his harem of fine women is an outright slimeball heel move of the year.

• Haha 1

Fury completely lost me when he let "Crazy" loop around.  This isn't Michael Bisping and "Song 2". You have to make your entrance right around two-and-a-half minutes if you're gonna roll with classic cocktail-dress country, this is why you work this shit out in tech week.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Thank fuck for that stoppage. I can't believe it went that long. Deontay looked out on his feet from that second knock down on.

Bayless was constantly looking in on Deontay. I think he was waiting for Deontay to just completely stop doing anything.

Internal bleeding coming out the mouth and bleeding from the ear. How the fuck did Wilder last that long take those heavy shots. Fury's power looked tenfold from the first fight. He kept his cardio too with the extra 18 lbs. That was phenomenal but my heart goes out to Wilder. Why they would interview a man that was clearly concussed many times over? And he was shockingly coherent.

BOB ARUM, INTERNATIONAL ROCK STAR.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Domination.  I wonder if it will go Fury vs. Wilder III or if it goes Fury vs. Joshua in front of thousands in the UK.  

There is a rematch clause, and Wilder would have 30 days to enforce it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Internal bleeding coming out the mouth and bleeding from the ear. How the fuck did Wilder last that long take those heavy shots. Fury's power looked tenfold from the first fight. He kept his cardio too with the extra 18 lbs. That was phenomenal but my heart goes out to Wilder. Why they would interview a man that was clearly concussed many times over? And he was shockingly coherent.

I was surprised they did the quick interview with Wilder as well but he was incredibly lucid all things considered, and once he got over the initial disappointment seemed to understand the towel was for the best. Meanwhile I stub my toe, can't put five words together without a couple expletives mixed in, and then blame it on the table.

Still loving this HW scene revival. I'd actually prefer Fury-Wilder III at this point but really any combination of the top 3 will be amazing.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

25 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Another thing I noticed: I wasn't shocked Wilder said he had a bum leg because he had no movement and was having to lean back to avoid punches. Never, ever going to go well.

If you're a stationary target, Fury will hit you. The Tom Schwarz fight is proof of that. I think going from Davison to SugarHill Steward was only a slight step forward at best, but Fury's work looked much cleaner than usual and he called Deontay's opening round bluff. Usually when guys try to pressure Deontay early, they let him rest and reload between exchanges. Fury to his credit didn't do that. He kept Deontay on his back foot most of the time. Also, Deontay early on does tend to push his punches. For him, those are arm punches. There are exceptions were Deontay is trying to get people out of there earlier, but it's usually lesser opposition. Wilder was so compromised by the middle rounds in what turned out to be the end of the fight that there was no chance of him putting together this miraculous turnaround that he typically does. With that said, I wish Breland and Deas would have acted a bit sooner. Deontay has way too much heart and wasn't going to quit. They could have said after round 5 that we're going to give you one more round and that's it if you don't do anything. Once your balance is gone, any attempt to deliver punches is just futile. Look at the first fight between David Haye and Tony Bellew.

I know Deontay doesn't want to leave Tuscaloosa and leave his family and is super loyal to Breland and Deas, but as I said awhile back, I don't see Wilder improving to the point where he fight outside his usual tactics. I got nothing against those two particularly, but for this fight, they shit the bed big time. I would love to see Wilder with a Freddie Roach, Abel Sanchez, Barry Hunter, or Andre Rozier. I mean Alabama ain't that far from Texas so Ronnie Shields would be a great option as well. He needs someone who can bring a new dimension to his game.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3

It's not as if he can't throw technically sound punches, he just throws in these absurd looping punches and windmills and weird overhand pawing an awful lot. If he just tightened up a bit and threw some more varied combinations he'd be great.

It's not as if he can't throw technically sound punches, he just throws in these absurd looping punches and windmills and weird overhand pawing an awful lot. If he just tightened up a bit and threw some more varied combinations he'd be great.

Yup. He needs to add one or two more punches to his repertoire. He has a simple jab, an often ineffective left hook, and a big right hand. Those can set up the right hand, but if you eliminate the first two, he can't get to the right hand. Look at Tyson's jab in this fight versus Deontay's jab. When he isn't using the jab as a range finder, it's really too weak to deter anyone. They threw the same number early on, but Tyson's jabs were clearly more effective.

Another issue related to that is once he gets hit, you can see Deontay being overly cautious and trying to figure out how he can work his way into the fight. You don't want to have a tell that is clear as day. This is the first time since the first Ortiz fight where someone actually exploited that bad habit. Hence why I would like to see Wilder get a fresh look in his corner. Any real veteran trainer wouldn't allow him to do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yup. He needs to add one or two more punches to his repertoire. He has a simple jab, an often ineffective left hook, and a big right hand. Those can set up the right hand, but if you eliminate the first two, he can't get to the right hand. Look at Tyson's jab in this fight versus Deontay's jab. When he isn't using the jab as a range finder, it's really too weak to deter anyone. They threw the same number early on, but Tyson's jabs were clearly more effective.

Another issue related to that is once he gets hit, you can see Deontay being overly cautious and trying to figure out how he can work his way into the fight. You don't want to have a tell that is clear as day. This is the first time since the first Ortiz fight where someone actually exploited that bad habit. Hence why I would like to see Wilder get a fresh look in his corner. Any real veteran trainer wouldn't allow him to do that.

For real. I don't even think it's once he gets hit. He starts any of his remotely competitive fights with both hands way up and a cautious look on his face. He doesn't move around much, but instead creeps his way forward (tonight it was uncharacteristically backwards). It looks like he has a stick up his ass, he's so stiff. Then he loosens up once his opponent feels his power and becomes more tentative. The left hand drops gradually through the middle rounds and in the first Fury fight it was hanging down at his waist, Hearns style. He is way lighter on his feet and far more fluid. It's as if there's comfort switch with him and everything plays off of that. He never got to that relaxed Wilder stage tonight. A change of trainers may (hopefully!) change that. We shall see if he does that. He seems like an incredibly loyal guy and I would hope he'd see the sense in the towel being thrown in. If he leaves it should be because he needs to grow and not because of the towel call.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Domination.  I wonder if it will go Fury vs. Wilder III or if it goes Fury vs. Joshua in front of thousands in the UK.  

Also, don't forget..  Fury might be lined up for Lesnar or somebody at one of these Blood Moneys ?

For the Predictions thread I hope Fury wins some Gold on one of those Blood Moneys. 

For real. I don't even think it's once he gets hit. He starts any of his remotely competitive fights with both hands way up and a cautious look on his face. He doesn't move around much, but instead creeps his way forward (tonight it was uncharacteristically backwards). It looks like he has a stick up his ass, he's so stiff. Then he loosens up once his opponent feels his power and becomes more tentative. The left hand drops gradually through the middle rounds and in the first Fury fight it was hanging down at his waist, Hearns style. He is way lighter on his feet and far more fluid. It's as if there's comfort switch with him and everything plays off of that. He never got to that relaxed Wilder stage tonight. A change of trainers may (hopefully!) change that. We shall see if he does that. He seems like an incredibly loyal guy and I would hope he'd see the sense in the towel being thrown in. If he leaves it should be because he needs to grow and not because of the towel call.

What's crazy is that his brother Marsellos is less robotic in that way and less unorthodox, but unfortunately, Marsellos also has the chin that people thought Deontay had coming out of the amateurs/Olympics. You barely graze him and the lights turn out.

I think it's Deontay trying to not get caught cold (which has subsequently derailed his brother's career), but your opponent now has intel on you even if you don't think it is. It's telling them you need to jump on him early instead of late when he can build some type of momentum.

Fury vs. Joshua, winner fights The Queen, legally obligated to kill her in one punch, Ascends to the Throne, this can't be that much worse than Brexit + will pop a sick buy. Do it or America will buy you in x years.

Edited by John E. Dynamite