DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

Missed the first title fight on the DAZN card tonight, but did see the other two (chose to skip the Youtuber fight in between). The Farmer-Jo Jo Diaz fight was pretty good with Diaz turning over the apple cart at 130. The Andrade-Keeler fight was one sided as expected and started off with Andrade dropping Keeler twice in the first two rounds (once in round one and once in round two). The first one was a flash KD within ten seconds, but the second knockdown was particularly brutal. Keeler someone survived that, but it was not looking promising. Then, Andrade became Demetrius Andrade and it seemed like we were about to go all twelve. He got his second wind and finished Keeler off in round nine. Middleweight is top heavy as hell.

I DVR'd the PBC card last night with Ugas taking apart Mike Dallas Jr., who I haven't seen since Lucas Matthysse demolished him several years ago. The fight between Clay Collard (a UFC vet whose most notable fight came against Max Holloway back in 2014) and Raymond Guajardo will perhaps be the most entertaining two round fight you will see in a longtime. It ended in an upset with the MMA guy who was having his boxing retirement fight and signed a deal with PFL to restart his MMA career destroying the young boxing upstart. The PBC Youtube account will probably put the whole fight up, but I suggest people track this one down regardless. Just a crazy, short fight.

• Like 1

This is a bout that could have popped a very good rating on ESPN. The potential purses made it a PPV bout, but it's going to be intriguing to see if people actually see Teofimo as a threat. I don't think Loma alone draws a decent PPV buyrate. 

Two big news notes:

- Josh Warrington has left Frank Warren and has signed a deal with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing, which pretty much ends the talk of Stevenson vs. Warrington anytime soon. Stevenson is fighting Miguel Marriaga in March in anyway.

- Unlike the Showtime and HBO teams on co-broadcasted megabouts (Lewis-Tyson and Mayweather-Pacquiao), the PBC/Fox and Top Rank/ESPN on air broadcast teams will be working together for shoulder programming ahead of the Wilder-Fury rematch.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Tessitore is going to call the fight? ?

Kenny and Max together is interesting I suppose.

We really need Booger McFarland to call a boxing match to bring this full circle. If Jim Brown can do UFC 1, we need Booger to make his contribution to the sweet science.

"If Deontay lands a punch and Tyson Fury doesn't get up in time to beat the count, the ref will then have to call the fight off."

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 1

wilder-vs-fury-ii-tickets_02-22-20_17_5e

Wilder vs. Fury II
February 22, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

WBC & Ring Magazine Heavyweight Championship: Deontay Wilder © (231) vs. Tyson Fury (273) - Fury, TKO (referee stoppage), R7 (1:39)
- WBC (eleventh defense)
- Ring Magazine (vacant)

Charles Martin (254) vs. Gerald Washington (236.5) - Martin, TKO (referee stoppage), R6 (1:57)
WBO Super Bantamweight Championship: Emanuel Navarrete © (122) vs. Jeo Tupas Santisima (122) (fifth defense) - Navarrete, TKO (referee stoppage), R11 (2:20)
Sebastian Fundora (153.5) vs. Daniel Lewis (153) - Fundora, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN/Fox Sports 1/ESPNEWS Preliminary Card:
Amir Imam (141.5) vs. Javier Molina (141.5) - Molina, DEC (unanimous)
Subriel Matias (142) vs. Petros Ananyan (142) - Ananyan, DEC (unanimous)
Gabriel Flores Jr. (132.5) vs. Matt Conway (132.5) - Flores Jr., DEC (unanimous)
Vito Mielnicki Jr. (147) vs. Corey Champion (147) - Mielnicki Jr., DEC (unanimous)
Isaac Lowe (125.5) vs. Albert Guevara (126) - Lowe, DEC (unanimous)
Rolando Romero (137) vs. Arturs Ahmetovs (136) - Romero, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:22)

Attendance: 15,816
Gate: $16.9 million
Buyrate: 825,000

For those who don't know, the other PBC vs. Top Rank match on this card is Sebastian Fundora vs. Daniel Lewis at junior middleweight. Lewis is billed as 5'10". Fundora is billed as 6'5 1/2" at least.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

wilder-vs-fury-ii-tickets_02-22-20_17_5e

Wilder vs. Fury II
February 22, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

WBC & Ring Magazine Heavyweight Championship: Deontay Wilder © vs. Tyson Fury 
- WBC (eleventh defense)
- Ring Magazine (vacant)

Charles Martin vs. Gerald Washington 
WBO Super Bantamweight Championship: Emanuel Navarrete © vs. Jeo Tupas Santisima (fifth defense)
Isaac Lowe vs. Albert Guevara

ESPN/Fox Sports 1/ESPNEWS Preliminary Card:
Sebastian Fundora vs. Daniel Lewis
Amir Imam vs. Javier Molina
Subriel Matias vs. Petros Ananyan
Gabriel Flores Jr. vs. Matt Conway
Rolando Romero vs. Arturs Ahmetovs
Vito Mielnicki Jr. vs. Corey Champion

Nevada State Athletic Commission has once again banned face-to-face between Wilder and Fury during the weigh-in.

I don't know why, but the last couple of weeks I've been thinking back on this and wondering how the hell a pro wrestler hasn't stolen this yet:

Don't need to be a wordsmith obviously. Just entirely self-assured to the point of an arrogance supreme.

At the time it drove me nuts but it's such great heeling. Like all time shit.