DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

f8d93e04-e368-4ef8-a27c-0a925270deb4.jpe\

Clash on the Dunes: Ruiz vs. Joshua II 
December 7, 2019
Diriyah, Saudi Arabia (Diriyah Arena)

WBA Super World/IBF/WBO Heavyweight Championship: Andy Ruiz © (283) vs. Anthony Joshua (237) (first defense) - Joshua, DEC (unanimous)
Diego Pacheco (167) vs. Selemani Saidi (166) - Pacheco, KO (overhand right), R1 (1:38)
Alexander Povetkin (229) vs. Michael Hunter (226) - DRAW (split)
Dillian Whyte (271) vs. Mariusz Wach (270) - Whyte, DEC (unanimous)
Ivan Hopey Price (125) vs. Swedi Mohamed (125) - Price, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (2:22)
Filip Hrgovic (241) vs. Eric Molina (248) - Hrgovic, KO (overhand right), R3 (2:03)
Magomedrasul Majidov (231) vs. Tom Little (251) - Majidov, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:49)

Preliminary Card:
Zuhayr Al Qahtani (133.75) vs. Omar Dusary (129) - Al Qahtani, DEC (unanimous)
Majid Al Naqbi (133) vs. Ilia Beruashvili (124) - Al Naqbi, TKO (referee stoppage), R3

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Current betting line is Ruiz (+500) to Joshua (-350).

I'm not gambler FWIW but that seems kinda high. For as much shit as Wilder does and doesn't deserve for his fighting style, the Povetkin fight (and the Whyte fight as well you can say) shows that if it takes AJ three or four rounds to warm up, he can be hit fairly often and has to use his sheer athleticism to almost will himself into fights. The one thing I didn't like in the first Andy Ruiz fight is Ruiz was close to him early in the fight. I felt like Ruiz was going to hit him with something and we would see how AJ handles it. Then, AJ knocked Ruiz down and I thought "well...this one is over". After Ruiz got back up, it was the exact same song and dance. Just on that reason alone, the betting line should be much, much closer. Andy Ruiz isn't Dominic Breazeale. He isn't Eric Molina. I don't see him as just this also-ran who got some lucky shots in. If Carlos Takam can trouble Anthony Joshua with less than two weeks notice, Andy Ruiz should be able to do same thing. That's what happened in the first fight which ultimately went Ruiz's way, and no one should be at all surprised if it happens again.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm not gambler FWIW but that seems kinda high. For as much shit as Wilder does and doesn't deserve for his fighting style, the Povetkin fight (and the Whyte fight as well you can say) shows that if it takes AJ three or four rounds to warm up, he can be hit fairly often and has to use his sheer athleticism to almost will himself into fights. The one thing I didn't like in the first Andy Ruiz fight is Ruiz was close to him early in the fight. I felt like Ruiz was going to hit him with something and we would see how AJ handles it. Then, AJ knocked Ruiz down and I thought "well...this one is over". After Ruiz got back up, it was the exact same song and dance. Just on that reason alone, the betting line should be much, much closer. Andy Ruiz isn't Dominic Breazeale. He isn't Eric Molina. I don't see him as just this also-ran who got some lucky shots in. If Carlos Takam can trouble Anthony Joshua with less than two weeks notice, Andy Ruiz should be able to do same thing. That's what happened in the first fight which ultimately went Ruiz's way, and no one should be at all surprised if it happens again.

Eh, I'm no gambler either.  I just think that the betting line is that wide to give people incentive to put money into the pool and folks think that Ruiz will be one and done like Buster Douglas without really paying attention to the facts at hand.

I'm thinking the odds will tighten significantly between now and the official weigh-in.

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Eh, I'm no gambler either.  I just think that the betting line is that wide to give people incentive to put money into the pool and folks think that Ruiz will be one and done like Buster Douglas without really paying attention to the facts at hand.

I'm thinking the odds will tighten significantly between now and the official weigh-in.

Since it's the same two people facing off, I would say it's Rahman-Lewis II all over again with Rahman being the 5-2 underdog going into fight #2. It's interesting seeing the takes that were around then and the parallels especially considering the timeframe of the first fight and the second fight is similar to this one. The first fight was in April and the rematch was in November after Rahman was basically forced to rematch Lewis after early talks of him facing someone else. Here, the first fight was in June and then just like Rahman, Ruiz tried to find a way out of rematch with Joshua only to be locked down to the rematch happening in December.

Champion Andy Ruiz Jr. scales 20st 2lb - 15lb heavier than before

Anthony Joshua weighs in at 16st 13lb - 10lb lighter than last time.

Suprised by both. Thought Ruiz would be a lot lighter than what he's weighed at and Joshua 5-6lbs down.

Edited by The Natural

On 12/5/2019 at 7:09 AM, The Natural said:

I fancy Andy Ruiz to win by KO in the sixth. I watched the first fight back yesterday, so dramatic especially THAT third round.

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Champion Andy Ruiz Jr. scales 20st 2lb - 15lb heavier than before

Anthony Joshua weighs in at 16st 13lb - 10lb lighter than last time.

Suprised by both. Thought Ruiz would be a lot lighter than what he's weighed at and Joshua 5-6lbs down.

Thinking of changing my prediction after the weigh-in and that's something I hardly do as appearances can be deceptive.

So Ruiz vs. Joshua II was basically Spinks vs. Ali II. Joshua jabbed effectively and landed some strong right hands, and stifled Ruiz anytime he started gaining some momentum. There were a few touch and go moments in rounds 8 and 9, but Joshua stayed firmed and made it through all twelve rounds to regain the WBA, IBF, and WBO titles.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 5:23 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

So Ruiz vs. Joshua II was basically Spinks vs. Ali II. Joshua jabbed effectively and landed some strong right hands, and stifled Ruiz anytime he started gaining some momentum. There were a few touch and go moments in rounds 8 and 9, but Joshua stayed firmed and made it through all twelve rounds to regain the WBA, IBF, and WBO titles.

Joshua put on a clinic that started off with fitness.  He relied on athleticism, kept Ruiz at the end of his jab, and effectively circled away from Ruiz's power side.

Ruiz kept trying to win the fight with one punch and that extra 15 pounds prevented him from following through.

Given Ruiz's poor performance, I'm not really sure there is any money in a rubber match.   If I were Joshua, I'd look for better cash fight candidates.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Given Ruiz's poor performance, I'm not really sure there is any money in a rubber match.   If I were Joshua, I'd look for better cash fight candidates.

Ruiz being a TGB/Haymon guy pretty much rules that out. I think Oleksandr Usyk is probably Joshua's next opponent so Joshua can keep the WBO title.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ruiz being a TGB/Haymon guy pretty much rules that out. I think Oleksandr Usyk is probably Joshua's next opponent so Joshua can keep the WBO title.

I thought that promoters were trying to get Usyk and Dereck Chisora in the ring fairly soon?  

If that's the case then Joshua would probably fight Pulev next since he's the IBF mandatory challenger, right?

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I thought that promoters were trying to get Usyk and Dereck Chisora in the ring fairly soon?  

If that's the case then Joshua would probably fight Pulev next since he's the IBF mandatory challenger, right?

If Joshua is fighting March (and probably mid to late March at that), I don't see him fighting in June which is when he would have to fight Usyk. So Usyk would have to agree to step aside or he can push the WBO to strip AJ, which probably won't happen since they share the same promoter. The thing that could be interesting though is Pulev is promoted by Top Rank which would probably love to see Pulev fight for a vacant belt. However, he would probably have to fight Adam Kownacki, who is the next guy under Pulev. Now Top Rank would go from dealing with Hearn to dealing with Haymon. There is a story that came out before the fight on Saturday with I guess someone from the IBF saying their mandatory has to be recognized next and that the orgs agreed to it, but that sounds like that person was speaking out of turn because the WBO wouldn't come behind them and put a 180 day limit on it. Anthony Joshua isn't a guy fighting six rounders every six weeks. He is going to fight twice a year *maybe* three times tops and Matchroom wants months to hype and build it up. I would not be shocked if Joshua loses one of their titles outside the ring because having three belts doesn't mean as much as it did before the first Ruiz fight. He can have twenty seven belts, and that doesn't mean his bargaining power has grown more after his loss. Eddie Hearn could just pull a power play and pick whoever he wants between Pulev and Usyk and force the IBF or WBO into making a decision on whether or not they want their title involved in one or two potential megafights down the road or on some random heavyweight not named Anthony Joshua, Deontay Wilder, or Tyson Fury.

191214_CrawfordMeanMachine_Annoucement_1\

Top Rank Boxing on ESPN: Crawford vs. Kavaliauskas
December 14, 2019
New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

WBO Welterweight Championship: Terence Crawford © (147) vs. Egidijus Kavaliauskas (146.6) (third defense) - Crawford, TKO (referee stoppage), R9 (0:44)
IBF Lightweight Championship: Richard Commey © (134.2) vs. Teofimo Lopez (134.4) (second defense) - Lopez, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:13)
Michael Conlan (125.8) vs. Vladimir Nikitin (126) - Conlan, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Josue Vargas (139.8) vs. Noel Murphy (138.2) -
Edgar Berlanga (164.8) vs. Cesar Nunez (164.8) - Berlanga, KO (left hook to the body and straight right), R1 (2:45)
Julian Rodriguez (141.6) vs. Manuel Mendez (140.8) - Rodriguez, DEC (unanimous)
George Kambosos Jr. (134) vs. Mickey Bey (132.6) - Kambosos Jr., DEC (split

Attendance: 10,101
Rating: 1.35 million viewers

Edited by Elsalvajeloco