DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

Ok, some kid fought Evander Holyfield's son in Sprawl MMA shorts and then promptly got his ass beat in 16 seconds. It's been several years since I seen someone in Sprawl shorts. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

18 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Watching the Berchelt-Sosa fight now the Canelo fight is over.  Bloody hell don't counter program another Mexican fighter against Canelo. Looks like there are more security people and ESPN commentators at this fight than fans

Besides a few fights here and there, boxing is kinda dead in Southern California. Plus, I don't get why people continue to do fights at Dignity Health Sports Park (fka the StubHub Center) when it's empty for most boxing events nowadays. When Robert Guerrero had an afternoon fight there for a PBC event years ago, I thought it was pretty damn empty. Lately, it's like that or even worse for every fight because they just bring any fight there. Moreover, Top Rank just did a card at Banc of California stadium which is a very nice venue. However, it was empty that night because Emanuel Navarrete was fighting some no hoper. Here you had Jason Sosa, who no one would believe had a chance to win, against Miguel Berchelt who is not really that big of an attraction.

I found it amusing that ESPN before the fight (because Molina vs. Okada went super short) showed clips of Vazquez-Marquez III which had a full, energetic crowd at the same venue. Then, we go back to the live feed where you have the ESPN boxing crew virtually sitting in front of a dark backdrop because they couldn't move tickets. Why would you remind people of how far boxing has fallen in many ways? That seems like a major production blunder even though I know what they were trying to do.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Nicola Adams, two time Olympic Gold Medalist has retired from professional boxing for her eyesight, doctors told her she'd be risking permanent damage. Adams became a world champion in the professional ranks. Adams is from my neck of the woods, West Yorkshire. Enjoy retirement.

Edited by The Natural

8 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Navarette vs Inoue will be a fun fight.  Few will care but it will be fun.  Donaire surprised me.  Didn't think he had this left in him. 

Donaire is a weird one. I think the Montiel performance was a bit deceptive. People thought (HBO played a giant role in this IMO) that he was gonna be this storm that was gonna blow through 122 and 126. Those fights after the Montiel KO (keep in mind, Montiel started his career at 112) were pretty disappointing and tepid affairs. Then, Rigondeaux brought him back to Earth. The Jessie Magdaleno and Nicholas Walters fights showed he should have never been above bantamweight. Sure, there are some okay junior featherweights he can beat. That doesn't mean he should campaign there. Donaire was a victim of HBO wanting a new superstar to showcase. As much as I miss HBO boxing, I don't miss that era from 6 or 7 years ago when Max Kellerman would verbally fellate fighters on air. He just went overboard with the P4P nonsense.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Now, I didn't watch the YouTuber boxing PPV, because I didn't want to, and because it was head to head with Full Gear. But apparently I could have watched the main event because after Full Gear finished (at 4:45 AM UK time), the social media celebrities were still in the dressing rooms getting ready. What is it with these interminable six hour pay per views? If you're truly trying to draw new eyes to the sport, in the hope that they'll become long term fans, give them a tight, fast moving three hour show, not a "thirty minutes of fighting, forty five minutes of talking, ten minutes of fighting and an hour of talking" boring epic. Killing the town, man.

Apparently they managed a rarely seen 8-8 round. Not sure how you dominate and get a knockdown but also commit enough serious fouls to have two points deducted in the space of three minutes, but there you go.

That fight was hilarious. Paul had a decent jab but was there to be countered every time. I don't know why he didn't throw more uppercuts, but the 8-8 round was a result of an uppercut wobbling KSI, then Paul grabbed the back of his head and delivered another uppercut to put him down, then hit KSI again while he was down. I don't know why the knock down counted when it was a foul that did it. 

Edited by Oyaji

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Now, I didn't watch the YouTuber boxing PPV, because I didn't want to, and because it was head to head with Full Gear. But apparently I could have watched the main event because after Full Gear finished (at 4:45 AM UK time), the social media celebrities were still in the dressing rooms getting ready. What is it with these interminable six hour pay per views? If you're truly trying to draw new eyes to the sport, in the hope that they'll become long term fans, give them a tight, fast moving three hour show, not a "thirty minutes of fighting, forty five minutes of talking, ten minutes of fighting and an hour of talking" boring epic. Killing the town, man.

Apparently they managed a rarely seen 8-8 round. Not sure how you dominate and get a knockdown but also commit enough serious fouls to have two points deducted in the space of three minutes, but there you go.

I think it's because the fight happened on the West Coast and potential sports competition (even though LSU vs. Bama ended before 7 pm EST or thereabouts) is something DAZN is going out of their way to avoid based on Canelo/Kovalev. When I tuned in, Saunders vs. Coceres was ending which kinda threw me off because I thought that was going to be the "main event" before the Youtuber fight. So I rewinded my stream to the beginning to the fight. For whatever reason (maybe those were for the entourages I guess), there were four or five front rows of empty seats behind the ring. It looked like the UFC prelims in Vegas two or three fights into the card. It also didn't help that Billy Joe Saunders looked pretty terrible for nine rounds before he woke up and knocked a guy who was suppose to be a showcase opponent out. Then they did more hype and interviews before getting to Haney/Santiago. Apparently, the fans in the arena weren't too excited about Devin Haney facing some random guy but at the same time, I don't think this was a boxing crowd. Haney isn't a big draw and Saunders definitely isn't here in the U.S. Here is where DAZN and Hearn are fucking up. The whole celeb or freakshow fight thing works in UFC or MMA in general because usually it's not the main event (especially in the case of UFC) and at least 75% or 80% of the crowd in the arena no matter what is there to see the other stuff on the show as well. I get you want Devin Haney to be a star and introduce Saunders to an American crowd (BJS' performance did him no favors at all even with a KO ending), but this is not the way to do it. The problem with spreading out so much talent is it highlights the lack of starpower you have. You have these great fighters who only appeal to a certain segment of the boxing fanbase. In an attempt to appeal to casuals, you brought in a bunch of people who I wouldn't even call casual fans. What I am confident enough to say is I guarantee that they will have a bunch of people sign up these past two weeks and then immediately cancel or cancel soon thereafter. The people who are interested in watching Canelo or Logan Paul/KSI aren't like me who watches most of the cards on DAZN or keeps track of all the upcoming cards. They are not about to watch Tevin Farmer or Juan Francisco Estrada (although Canelo fans might tune in to see Estrada due to the obvious). They don't give a shit about rankings or who holds what title. I dunno if Eddie Hearn and the execs at DAZN are taking advice or cues from WWE about their network (given the last business update, that's not smart) and looking to that as the model to follow but these stunts aren't going to work. They are temporary fixes at best.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Dreadful night all around.  Saunders will be happy with his crappy outing. Probably gets him Canelo.  The Herring vs Roach fight put me to sleep.  Gabe Flores brings fans with him but no hard punches.  Haney got a guy more into wrestling.  Almost wish I actually had something to do last night

6 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Dreadful night all around.  Saunders will be happy with his crappy outing. Probably gets him Canelo.  The Herring vs Roach fight put me to sleep.  Gabe Flores brings fans with him but no hard punches.  Haney got a guy more into wrestling.  Almost wish I actually had something to do last night

Pulev vs. Booker also did not look too thrilling. 

Apparently they gad a hard time selling tickets too. After KSI vs LP 1 sold out Manchester Arena (although that was an all YouTuber card) there was an assumption that the rematch was going to be a super hot deal, but the first one turned people off. They thought the draw was a fix to set up the second bout (it wasn't), they resented paying $10 or £7.50 for a PPV that was then made available for free two weeks later, and a lot of people who hated Paul wanted to see his career ruined and ended, not rejuvanated.

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently they gad a hard time selling tickets too. After KSI vs LP 1 sold out Manchester Arena (although that was an all YouTuber card) there was an assumption that the rematch was going to be a super hot deal, but the first one turned people off. They thought the draw was a fix to set up the second bout (it wasn't), they resented paying $10 or £7.50 for a PPV that was then made available for free two weeks later, and a lot of people who hated Paul wanted to see his career ruined and ended, not rejuvanated.

I'm lucky I know nothing about this "feud" beyond they are famous on social media and unfortunately they are at least two Paul brothers (in my head, I made Logan and Jake into one person as part of wishful thinking that the gene pool wasn't this bad). Anything past that, I couldn't give a shit.