DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That is some Unbreakable shit to come away from that without a single break. Other than the obvious having it never happen in the first place, this is the best possible outcome.

Unfortunately, one of the first things that popped into my head when I saw the story was Salvador Sanchez. This right here is a modern day miracle.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

So, Tyrone Spong had a busy week. I'm still not sure what the fuck happened with his drug testing but apparently came back negative and yet the dahzun commentator still said he failed a drug test. He was also charged for having a Florida Man moment when his pet cougar (smdh) escaped back in January. I really wanted to see him fight Usyk...

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

So, Tyrone Spong had a busy week. I'm still not sure what the fuck happened with his drug testing but apparently came back negative and yet the dahzun commentator still said he failed a drug test. He was also charged for having a Florida Man moment when his pet cougar (smdh) escaped back in January. I really wanted to see him fight Usyk...

He failed two tests (9/22 & 9/26) for clomiphene. The ones that came back negative were one before those two tests and one taken on 10/2. So he still failed those tests regardless.

• Thanks 1

Here is the updated boxing calendar for the rest of 2019:

10/18: Top Rank Boxing: Gvozdyk vs. Beterbiev (ESPN)
10/26: World Boxing Super Series: Prograis vs. Taylor (DAZN/SKY Box Office); Top Boxing Boxing: Stevenson vs. Gonzalez (ESPN+); Showtime Boxing Special Edition: Lubin vs. Gallimore (Showtime)
11/1: ShoBox: Martinez vs. Rosales (Showtime)
11/2: Matchroom Boxing: Taylor vs. Linardatou (SKY/DAZN); Canelo vs. Kovalev (DAZN); Top Rank Boxing: Berchelt vs. Sosa (ESPN+)
11/7: World Boxing Super Series: Inoue vs. Donaire (DAZN)
11/9: Matchroom Boxing USA (DAZN) Saunders vs. Coceres; Top Rank Boxing: Herring vs. Roach Jr. (ESPN+)
11/15: ShoBox: Ortiz vs. Palmetta (Showtime)
11/23: Matchroom Boxing: Smith vs. Ryder (SKY/DAZN); Premier Boxing Champions: Wilder vs. Ortiz II (Fox PPV); Golden Boy Boxing: Cancio vs. Alvarado (DAZN)
11/30: Matchroom Boxing: Butaev vs. Besputin (DAZN); Top Rank Boxing: Valdez vs. Gutierrez (ESPN+)
12/7: Ruiz Jr. vs. Joshua II (DAZN); Showtime Championship Boxing: Charlo vs. Hogan (Showtime)
12/14: World Boxing Super Series: Briedis vs. Dorticos (DAZN); Top Rank Boxing: Crawford vs. Kavaliauskas (ESPN); Golden Boy Boxing: Ortiz Jr. vs. TBA (DAZN)
12/20: Matchroom Boxing USA: Jacobs vs. Chavez Jr. (DAZN)
12/28: Showtime Championship Boxing: Davis vs. Gamboa (Showtime)

The only thing I am not sure about is the cruiserweight finals for the World Boxing Super Series. There hasn't been any solid news about it since mid August.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
Figueroa vs. Ceja added to Wilder vs. Ortiz II undercard. Added Davis vs. Gamboa.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:20 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Just heartbreaking all around. Hopefully, Day pulls through this.

Sadly, Patrick Day has passed away. Day was 27. Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.  Thoughts go out to Charles Conwell as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1

I wonder if the commissions are going to come down on pro boxing now because Day makes the fourth death (at least) in pro boxing worldwide (FWIW one was a guy with probably a pre-existing condition impersonating his cousin in a country that just started contesting pro boxing bouts) and the second one stateside. I say that because Maxim Dadashev and Patrick Day weren't not just weekend warriors. Both were skilled professionals in the paid ranks. This should warrant a serious look into what is going on with professional boxing.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 5:46 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wonder if the commissions are going to come down on pro boxing now because Day makes the fourth death (at least) in pro boxing worldwide (FWIW one was a guy with probably a pre-existing condition impersonating his cousin in a country that just started contesting pro boxing bouts) and the second one stateside. I say that because Maxim Dadashev and Patrick Day weren't not just weekend warriors. Both were skilled professionals in the paid ranks. This should warrant a serious look into what is going on with professional boxing.

I watched a clip of the knockout. It looked pretty normal for a knockout(Well as normal as a knockout can be). Some people were saying his head hitting the canvas might’ve caused it, but maybe there was more to it. Did the commission check his opponents gloves after the fight? 

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I watched a clip of the knockout. It looked pretty normal for a knockout(Well as normal as a knockout can be). Some people were saying his head hitting the canvas might’ve caused it, but maybe there was more to it. Did the commission check his opponents gloves after the fight? 

The gloves (and handwraps) are signed off by the commission once the fighter's hands are wrapped and then the gloves are placed on. The commission rep will put their initials on the tape that was applied on the gloves to make sure the gloves don't come off. Prior to that, the initials will be placed below the knuckles of the handwraps in fairly large writing. You see how boxers struggle to take off their gloves at the end of a fight in the ring. You (or one of your corner men) would have be a magician and a hand writing expert to take the gloves off in the lockerroom, put something in the gloves, and then placed them back on with the signature identical on both the handwraps and tape around the gloves. I've seen someone from the commission do the once over inspection on the handwraps once a fight is over but that's usually it. If there was something irregular with the gloves and handwraps, it usually comes up right there and then.

• Like 1

Man, Beterbiev beat the shit out of Gvozdyk. I mean I picked Beterbiev to win by stoppage, but I expected Gvozdyk to dominate the first half of the fight. What happened was the first five or six rounds, they were basically even on total punched landed with either guy being ahead by 1-4 punches in any given round. Gvozdyk would land some flashy combos here or there, but outside a few headsnapping punches in the middle of the fight, nothing seemed to affect Beterbiev. He just continued to march forward and forward. Once Beterbiev started going to the body and caused Gvozdyk to slow down, it was just a matter of time. In between the ninth and tenth round, Teddy tried his best to summon whatever Gvozdyk had left, but it was pretty apparent Gvozdyk was absolutely done. I hate to second guess Teddy, but why send him out for the tenth to take an epic beating? Gvozdyk kinda had his head down in the corner as Teddy was giving his fire and brimstone speech. That should tell you his spirit is broken. If he wasn't able to keep Beterbiev off him at the beginning of the fight and the middle rounds when he was close to full strength, the likelihood Gvozdyk would do that in round ten was slim to none. Beterbiev just savaged him, and Gvozdyk was just looking for a nice spot on the canvas to fall.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2019 at 7:58 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

The only thing I am not sure about is the cruiserweight finals for the World Boxing Super Series. There hasn't been any solid news about it since mid August.

Well, this would explain it.

C0BF8082-57C5-47B0-A6A8-B69A4E750BCA.jpe

Canelo vs. Kovalev
November 2, 2019
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

WBO Light Heavyweight Championship: Sergey Kovalev © (175) vs. Saúl Álvarez (174.5) (second defense) - Álvarez, KO (left hook and straight right hand), R11 (2:15)
Ryan Garcia (135) vs. Romero Duno (135) - Garcia, KO (straight right hand and left hook), R1 (1:38)
Interim WBA Female Flyweight Championship: Seniesa Estrada (110.5) vs. Marlen Esparza (111) - Estrada, DEC (technical unanimous)
Blair Cobbs (147) vs. Carlos Ortiz (146) - Cobbs, TKO (corner retirement), R6 (3:00)

Preliminary Card:
Evan Holyfield (154) vs. Nick Winstead (156) - Holyfield, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (0:16)
Bakhram Murtazaliev (154) vs. Jorge Fortea (153.5) - Murtazaliev, DEC (unanimous)
Tristan Kalkreuth (188) vs. Twon Smith (188.5) - Kalkreuth, DEC (unanimous)
Meiirim Nursultanov (160) vs. Cristian Olivas (160) - Nursultanov, DEC (unanimous)
Bektemir Melikuziev (174.5) vs. Clay Collard (171.5) - Melikuziev, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (2:22)

Attendance11,648 
Gate: $8.17 million

Edited by Elsalvajeloco