DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

SpenceJrPorter-2019-1130x665-hero-4ef086

Premier Boxing Champions: Spence Jr. vs. Porter
September 28, 2019
Los Angeles, CA (Staples Center)

WBC & IBF Welterweight Championship: Errol Spence Jr. © (147) vs. Shawn Porter © (147) - Spence Jr., DEC (split)
- WBC (Porter: second defense
- IBF (Spence: fourth defense)

WBC Super Middleweight Championship: Anthony Dirrell © (167.5) vs. David Benavidez (167.5) (first defense) - Benavidez, KO (corner stoppage), R9 (1:39)
WBA World Super Lightweight Championship: Mario Barrios (140) vs. Batyr Akhmedov (139.25) (vacant) - Barrios, DEC (unanimous)
Josesito Lopez (146.5) vs. John Molina Jr. (146.25) - Lopez, KO (overhand right), R8 (0:39)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card
Robert Guerrero (146.75) vs. Gerald Thomas (147.5) - Guerrero, DEC (unanimous)
Joey Spencer (155.75) vs. Travis Gambardella (155) - Spencer, KO (left hook), R3 (0:53)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Lindolfo Delgado (143) vs. Jesus Zazueta Anaya (141.5) - Delgado, KO (referee stoppage), R6 (1:59)
Jose Valenzuela (129.25) vs. Charles Clark (129.25) - Valenzuela, KO (left hook), R1 (1:06)
Misael Rodriguez (162.5) vs. Brandon Maddox (157.5) - Rodriguez, KO (corner stoppage), R3 (1:43)
Fabian Andres Maidana (146) vs. Ramses Agaton (147) - Maidana, KO (right hook to the body), R1 (2:07)
Leon Lawson III (157.5) vs. Alan Zavala (157) - Lawson, KO (straight right), R2 (2:27)
Amon Rashidi (144.75) vs. Alfonso Olvera (143) - Olvera, DEC (unanimous)
Fernando Garcia (123) vs. Juan Antonio Lopez (124) - Garcia, DEC (unanimous)
Burley Brooks (169.5) vs. Fabian Valdez (169) - Burley, KO (left hook to the body), R1 (2:35)

Attendance: 12,671
Gate: $1,257,155
Buyrate: 350,000

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I'm super casual at this stage but that was one of the best action fights of the 21st century from what I've seen. 

No, that was easily a fight of the year candidate if not the outright leader in the category. I dunno how Shawn Porter didn't go out on that knockdown in the 11th.

Man, I cannot get over that fight. One of my favourite fights in forever. And it featured Danny Garcia looking like Klay Thompson in a late 90s boy band doing a throwback to the fashion of the late '70s. A combination of truly the worst styles. Does anybody want to see that fight other than Al Haymon? Will we ever see Spence/Crawford?

Also how far do you think Lomachenko moves up in weight? He'll never make it to welterweight right? The size and power differential would be too much by the sounds of it. His manager has said in the past that a fight with Crawford would be crazy. Huge reach disadvantage. But fuck would I love to see him fight some of those awesome welterweights. 

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Does anybody want to see that fight other than Al Haymon? Will we ever see Spence/Crawford?

To be fair, how many people truly wanted to see Spence Jr. vs. Porter? Here's the thing: PBC controls 147 and now 154 with Munguia moving out to 160. Bob Arum knows this. Bob Arum has Terence Crawford and nothing else at those weights. Crawford is a pretty good TV draw, but the failure of the Khan PPV which everyone knew was not going to do good on PPV didn't provide Arum with any type of leverage. Moreover, it wasn't a good fight at all which hurts even more. So the best Arum can do for Crawford is put him against Mean Machine (Egidijus Kavaliauskas) in December and maybe a Luis Collazo or Chris van Heerden after that. Carlos Adames is an emergency option, but he would have to win the WBO belt at 154 since PBC doesn't recognize WBO belts anymore. That's all he has for Crawford. Meanwhile, PBC can wait Arum out forever or until Crawford loses. They have Danny Garcia, Thurman, Yordenis Ugas, Pacquiao, Sergey Lipinets, Omar Figueroa, Robert Guerrero, and Josesito Lopez. If Spence wants to go up to 154, they have Jarrett Hurd, Erislandy Lara, Julian Williams, Erickson Lubin, Brian Castano, Terrell Gausha, Austin Trout, and Tony Harrison. Errol doesn't even have to fight Jermell Charlo if he doesn't want to since they're both trained by Derrick James. Let's keep in mind that although another fight with Mikey Garcia wouldn't make sense, a possible rematch with Shawn Porter would be feasible now. So you have one side with virtually no options and one side replete with options. That's why Arum has no leverage. The best he can do is have Joe Tessitore and the rest of the Top Rank boxing commentary crew to complain and beg for PBC guys to fight their one guy Terence Crawford anytime they talk about fights or rankings. That's it.

As for Spence Jr. vs. Crawford, it looks like 2021 according to an ESPN exec(?) who spoke about it fairly recently. Since there is a deal in place for Wilder vs. Fury II, it has somewhat ended the cold war between the two sides. However, if you will remember, HBO and Showtime won't too particularly happy working together for a co branded, dual PPV broadcast for Mayweather-Pacquiao or Lewis-Tyson before that. This is ESPN and Fox who are owned by the same company, but the boxing promotions on each side have a longstanding love hate relationship. So it's a temporary armistice right now at best. Should Wilder beat Ortiz in November and Wilder vs. Fury II in February actually go through, they would have to play nice afterwards too. The one thing to be optimistic about is Arum, knowing he has no leverage in his relationship with Haymon other than having Tyson Fury and that itself is still arguable based on the lack of business from the two Vegas cards Fury headlined, has spoke favorably of PBC and Haymon recently. Granted, a lot of that is Arum fucking hates Eddie Hearn's guts because Hearn is virtually the complete opposite of Al Haymon and is every damn where every week. Hearn doesn't really do any business with PBC. It's the enemy of my enemy is my friend or at least an associate type thing.

Best case scenario is Spence continues to handle business, Crawford does the same, Wilder-Fury II goes off without a hitch in front of the camera and (most importantly) behind closed doors, and we get Spence Jr. vs. Crawford this time next year or a little later.

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Also how far do you think Lomachenko moves up in weight? He'll never make it to welterweight right? The size and power differential would be too much by the sounds of it. His manager has said in the past that a fight with Crawford would be crazy. Huge reach disadvantage. But fuck would I love to see him fight some of those awesome welterweights. 

I would say Lomachenko's ceiling is 140 and that's only because I don't see Prograis or Josh Taylor being completely unstoppable. Plus, I can see Jose Ramirez stay around at 140 for a Lomachenko fight but Ramirez would really have to become a much bigger star outside Fresno and the Central Valley. Even Arum pointed out how Ramirez vs. Hooker did no business on DAZN. He might hate Hearn and shits on how DAZN does business, but Ramirez is still his guy. If the world were fair, Ramirez's name would be much bigger unifying the WBC and WBO belts and stopping Hooker in impressive fashion. However, that fight was a blip on the radar. With Lomachenko, based on how the Campbell fight went, it shows he can win against much bigger guys but it won't look as aesthetically pleasing as his fights during his HBO run at 126 and 130 or when Top Rank jumped to ESPN full time when he fought Miguel Marriaga. Lomachenko is amazing, but he doesn't have the flexibility of a Pacquiao. Pacquiao is one of the greatest aberrations in boxing history. The same goes for a Floyd Mayweather because Floyd managed be as great at 147 and 154 as he was at 130 and 135/140 early in his career. If you're Arum and Top Rank, you don't want to ride Lomachenko into the ground and keep putting him in their with bigger, stronger fighters. He's only 31 but he's getting to be an old 31 between fighting regularly and having hundreds of amateur fights before that. I would still say "never say never" especially since big money can sway anything, but right now, I can only see Lomachenko making a jump only if Arum plans on cashing out on him and knows Lomachenko is entering the twilight of his career. Plus, Lomachenko is a great fighter to have on TV. He can draw good crowds at the box office. However, I dunno if he can be a PPV attraction in North America especially if he is in there with a no hoper. It's the same thing you got with Golovkin during his HBO tenure. People will turn on HBO to see him maul guys who had no shot. However, when it came to paying for it like with the Lemieux fight, no one wanted to be a part of that. So it's a bit of a conundrum. Lomachenko can be consistently the highest rated fighter in combat sports on television, but it ultimately won't mean anything if he doesn't have the perfect foil like Golovkin had with Canelo.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Upset is on. Good fight but GGG is looking slow, though they're saying he's sick so who knows how much of it is age and wear and how much is his condition.

This is how he looked in the Rolls fight before the KO.

Wow, Golovkin pulling an Alvarez right there. It was very close but I thought the output of Derevyanchenko should've been enough. Golovkin would pick his moments with power punches but shit... Great fight. That's three great fights in the past month, though I felt like Porter/Spence Jr. was an instant classic. 

Golovkin won on the judges scorecards, but I wouldn't call that a victory.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Wow, Golovkin pulling an Alvarez right there. It was very close but I thought the output of Derevyanchenko should've been enough. Golovkin would pick his moments with power punches but shit... Great fight. That's three great fights in the past month, though I felt like Porter/Spence Jr. was an instant classic. 

Golovkin had some spots where he looked like old Golovkin but that was rounds 1-3. As Sergiy worked his way into the fight, Golovkin slowly just stopped doing anything. You can probably give him rounds 4-6 for just being Golovkin, but that wouldn't be scoring correctly. He just doesn't have the stamina anymore to fight 12 rounds at a steady pace.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

I don't know if I want to see that Golovkin take more of Canelo's body shots.

Golovkin use to have one of the greatest pokerfaces in the history of boxing. Now, if you can get past those first few salvos in the first half of fight, you can tell when you hit him and it makes him extremely uncomfortable.

• Like 1