DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 7

Elsalvajeloco

Canelo vs. Callum Smith, 19th December 2020. Smith is unbeaten in 27 fights. C'mon, Callum. Alvarez is 53-1-2. Really should be 52-2-2 as Triple G beat him in their first fight. Can't remember the second off the top of my head.

Edited by The Natural

If you want to see the epitome of DAZN's foray into boxing*, you need to watch Daniel Jacobs vs. Gabriel Rosado. Just a terribly boring fight with both guys landing in single digits 11 out of 12 rounds, and the ring announcer mistakenly says Rosado's hometown before saying that Daniel Jacobs is the winner.

*Besides Seniesa Estrada killing that poor woman they found at like a Piggly Wiggly somewhere in Kansas when DAZN came back from their pandemic hiatus.

• Haha 2

12.05_1920x1080-e1606773760938.jpg?w=100

Premier Boxing Champions: Spence Jr. vs. Garcia
December 5, 2020
Arlington, TX (AT&T Stadium)

WBC & IBF Welterweight Championship: Errol Spence Jr. © (146.4) vs. Danny Garcia (146.8) - Spence Jr., DEC (unanimous)
- WBC (first defense
- IBF (fifth defense)

Sebastian Fundora (153.6) vs. Habib Ahmed (152.4) - Fundora, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:30)
Josesito Lopez (146.2) vs. Francisco Santana (147.8) - Lopez, TKO (referee stoppage), R10 (1:22)
Eduardo Ramirez (125.2) vs. Miguel Flores (125.4) - Ramirez, KO (right hook), R5 (0:20)

FS2 Preliminary Card:
Isaac Avelar (126.8) vs. Sakaria Lukas (127.6) - Avelar, DEC (unanimous)
Vito Mielnicki Jr. (146.8) vs. Steven Pulluaim (144.8) - Mielnicki Jr., DEC (unanimous)
Burley Brooks (170.4) vs. Marco Delgado (170.6) - Delgado, DEC (split)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Fernando Garcia (122.4) vs. Juan Tapia (123) - Tapia, DEC (unanimous)
Frank Martin (138.6) vs. Tyrone Luckey (138.4) - Martin, KO (left hook to the body), R2 (2:31)

Attendance: 16,102
Gate: $2.6 million
Buyrate: 250,000

I'm a hella casual boxing fan but rewatching Spence/Porter and it still stands as one of my favourite boxing matches from the past 10-15 years. It's not Corrales/Castillo or anything but it's such an action fight with great skill involved too (particularly Spence). If this is anything like that, I will be a happy boy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jiji said:

I'm a hella casual boxing fan but rewatching Spence/Porter and it still stands as one of my favourite boxing matches from the past 10-15 years. It's not Corrales/Castillo or anything but it's such an action fight with great skill involved too (particularly Spence). If this is anything like that, I will be a happy boy.

It will be interesting to see if there is any dropoff in Spence post wreck, but he is so much more skilled and meticulous than Danny Garcia. I'm trying to think of the last time Garcia had a rise to the occasion type of performance against another top fighter since the Matthysse upset? Porter? That was more than two years ago now. Thurman was almost three years ago. Both ended up with him coming up short on the scorecards. I assume this is likely to end up the same way, but with Spence having a more decisive win.

But nobody can survive the no look left hook! If it can put down Amir Khan, it can put anybody down.

I think that Spence decided to be more of a puncher or boxer-puncher than just outbox and try to sharp shoot Porter and that, particularly in the first half of the fight before the body work took its toll on his legs, Porter was way more mobile and used more movement than expected is one of my favourite aspects of that fight. In fighting that fight, Spence proved he has an incredible chin. He took a tremendous amount of cumulative damage and some big, big shots from Porter throughout the fight, including a big uppercut in the 10th or 11th. I haven't seen much of Garcia but I don't see him being able to down Spence unless like you said that ridiculous crash really took Spence out. 

I'm enjoying the November and December boxing is giving us. They may not be best on best, but it's good to see the sport's best back in action and move towards the big fights sometime next year. You think most of the big fights are saved for when more and more fans are in perhaps in late 2021? Or do they run 'em and do what they do?

• Like 1

I think most promoters would admit they had to take a bath this year. In what was shaping up to be a solid year for boxing in terms of big fights, it turned into a rather lackluster year with Mike Tyson being the far and way the biggest draw in the sport thirty five years after he emerged on the scene in boxing.

Here's the issue: The fights that "cannot" get done because it doesn't make sense financially to do without a live gate, those are the ones that supposedly subsidize the rest of the slate. Otherwise, you're depending on TV/broadcast/streaming rights fees and alternative revenue streams to lessen your losses. In the first half of 2021, I think we're going to see more mid-tier and stay busy fights for guys who make big money who feel they need to make some money. Right now, no one seems to be committed to making a big fight and sticking their neck out. Otherwise, those fights would already be signed or at least verbally committed to so the promoters can hype them up. It also doesn't help that two of the biggest promoters are based in Nevada and California (Top Rank and Golden Boy). I think PBC will take more risks because they don't give a damn about going to Texas during the height of the pandemic to get some gate revenue. Beyond that, I think everyone is going play it relatively safe until further notice.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Errol Spence is the perfect action boxer. If you're going to be active rather than reactive/defensive, he's exactly what you want. Smothering, constant combinations, tonnes of bodywork, throws with power, but also defends very well with every aspect (feet, head, body) and his timing is flawless. A machine. The only thing he's lacking to be a boxing superstar is the lack of emotion/charisma I think, but lowkey I love it.

• Like 1

Garcia looks like he has nothing left but I'm guessing he can muster something. It's hard to watch at this point though.

It will be a fucking crime if we don't get Crawford/Spence Jr. next. We won't because shitty or no gates but, come the fuck on.

• Like 1

Looks like Crawford vs. Porter is next especially if Crawford moves to PBC.

Anyway, that was too little, too late by Garcia. He spent the first seven and a half rounds backing up. Only when Spence went into cruise control did he try to assert himself.

• Like 1

Two questions that somewhat go hand in hand:

Are there any boxing magazines worth subscribing to? Fancy reading up a bit more on current fight game stuff.

Also, how far back does the digital The Ring archive go back (if anyone knows due to being a subscriber)?

Cheers